Truck Options: Expanding Horizons

Fender39

Rookie Expediter
After looking at tons of expediting trucks, it seems like we have limited options... We have to choose between used, often high miles and underpowered straight trucks or brand new $150k snazzy trucks... So, that got me thinking.

Does anyone use single axle tractor with sleeper with a 28' pup trailer instead of the traditional straight truck with aftermarket sleeper attached? It seems like we'd have more options as far as trucks with similar benefits to running a straight truck.

I've seen tons of Mack, Volvo, FL, KW and Int'l single axle tractors with good size sleepers. In your opinion, is this set up viable for the average expediter? I'm sure there are pros and cons, just thought I'd ask if anyone else uses this setup or if carriers would be interested in contracting such a setup.

Thanks!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
After looking at tons of expediting trucks, it seems like we have limited options... We have to choose between used, often high miles and underpowered straight trucks or brand new $150k snazzy trucks... So, that got me thinking.

Does anyone use single axle tractor with sleeper with a 28' pup trailer instead of the traditional straight truck with aftermarket sleeper attached? It seems like we'd have more options as far as trucks with similar benefits to running a straight truck.

I've seen tons of Mack, Volvo, FL, KW and Int'l single axle tractors with good size sleepers. In your opinion, is this set up viable for the average expediter? I'm sure there are pros and cons, just thought I'd ask if anyone else uses this setup or if carriers would be interested in contracting such a setup.

Thanks!

FedEx Custom Critical actually tried a pup trailer option for a bit, but it had very poor results so they scrapped it.

Fender39

Rookie Expediter
Here I thought I was some sort of genius lol

Well it was worth asking about. Thanks for the replies!

What about spec'ing a late model cab and chassis class 7 or 8 straight frame and putting a van body on it with a curbside door on the forward side and building a 48-60" sleeper out of that instead of the traditional sleeper. No real need to have access to it while driving...

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to think outside the box.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Here I thought I was some sort of genius lol

Well it was worth asking about. Thanks for the replies!

What about spec'ing a late model cab and chassis class 7 or 8 straight frame and putting a van body on it with a curbside door on the forward side and building a 48-60" sleeper out of that instead of the traditional sleeper. No real need to have access to it while driving...

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to think outside the box.

DOT requires access to the cab on the back wall and even has minimum size openings. Still people have done that with a boot between the box and the cab. It's called a Texas Sleeper? I think. TST has quite a few of those running for them, even brought one to the expo.

Fender39

Rookie Expediter
ahh okay okay... That makes sense and after saying that, I remember hearing that requirement. So basically, as long as you can access it from the cab, you can build a legal sleeper in the box?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
ahh okay okay... That makes sense and after saying that, I remember hearing that requirement. So basically, as long as you can access it from the cab, you can build a legal sleeper in the box?

I'm not sure the details and what has to be done to make it legal. Search the past forums, it has been brought up before.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We've kicked around the idea of a tractor and 28' pup before. I like the idea. Here is a link to one discussion from a few years ago. Expedite With Tractor and Pup Trailer?

I know there are more but couldn't find them. Maybe THawk can find the thread I mentioned in the above link.

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I think part of the issue is that if you're going to go to the trouble of running with the A license, the additional axle, etc that you might as well pull a 53' trailer. Naturally a single ax and a pup can go into some very tight spaces (I know this because I own that combo). So it's really a bit of a specialty within a specialty. We do direct load long distance "expedited" household goods moves with that combo and it works well (we specialize in urban areas where a big straight truck or a 50' would be able to fit). Running a big B license truck is a lot cheaper and simpler but doesn't afford the ability to fit into tight spots. If you want to see some texas style sleepers try usedMovingVans.com there's a bunch of them on there. Nothing you'd want to live in long term.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't complicate the simple. There are quite a few good used straight trucks out there for sale that aren't under powered. Don't let the price scare you. Everyone overprices their trucks and you will be surprised at what they will actually sell them for if you have cash !!!!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Don't complicate the simple. There are quite a few good used straight trucks out there for sale that aren't under powered. Don't let the price scare you. Everyone overprices their trucks and you will be surprised at what they will actually sell them for if you have cash !!!!

Very very true. Also pre-approved financing, not just cash.