Truck driving terms and how times have changed

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
What do you like to call a load when you already on a load to lets say LA? Some call it a load, some call it a back haul. Others don't like the term Back haul because they think of it as cheap freight. To me a Back Haul is a load out of where a truck is heading to. My father who was an old school truck driver and started driving back in the early 60's called them back hauls too. To my father it's wasn't cheap freight, it was a load out of where he was going. My father was a different kind of driver. He once had the Durum on the back of his semi made longer so he could put freight on it too. He said it paid him and extra $1500.00 on the trip going from Seattle to Baltimore and then $1500.00 going back to Seattle.

My father loved driving a cab over and when he got into Expediting that is what he drove. He got a UD cab over and signed it on with TST Expedite. My family has been in trucking over 90 years and my uncle who got me into this business still drives Expediting freight today. The Expedite truck has changed so much the last 16 years since I have started. I remember GEO in his UD cab over running for Roberts Express and Lawrence McCord in his van. We didn't have Expediters Online to post on. We didn't all have cell phone because the cost was so high. We had pagers and C-link pagers that went off if a load offer was sent to your truck.

We all gathered at truck stops like the Detroiter in Woodhaven , Mi and the Petro in Bordentown, NJ to have coffee and talk about the business of Expediting and share new and cool things for our trucks. We didn't have GPS in out trucks we all used maps. We didn't have built in showers in our trucks, we all used truck stop showers. There was no Idle Air, but we did have Park and View when it worked. Most of the freight we hauled was Auto Parts. Our carriers would reward us if we stayed in service during a holiday week and paid us .75 cents a mile to deadhead home to be with our family's if we didn't have a load going home. Man how times have changed. I hope others can share things with everyone on how things have changed in this business since they started.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
People misinterpret the term backhaul, a backhaul is a load that takes you back to your original location or at least near there. Companies that freight their own goods look for backhauls because their trucks have to get back to their plants to haul their goods. If they don't find a backhaul they have to deadhead and that is the reason they are willing to haul for a cheaper rate.

There is not one expediting company that does true backhauls. If I am loaded coming into LA and get a load booked before I unload then I am predispatched. Backhaul is not a term germaine to the expediting world.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
People misinterpret the term backhaul, a backhaul is a load that takes you back to your original location or at least near there. Companies that freight their own goods look for backhauls because their trucks have to get back to their plants to haul their goods. If they don't find a backhaul they have to deadhead and that is the reason they are willing to haul for a cheaper rate.

There is not one expediting company that does true backhauls. If I am loaded coming into LA and get a load booked before I unload then I am predispatched. Backhaul is not a term germaine to the expediting world.

Yea, some of our driver call them a back haul some call it being pre dispatched. So I know the what they mean either way. Yea we just set a back haul for one of our teams that is out in AZ going to MD. The pay wasn't the greatest, but do to the holiday I let them take the load.