Truck Driver Now Maybe Cargo Van?

demented

Active Expediter
Hi all. I've been a truck driver for fifteen years and I'm considering buying a cargo van and getting into expediting. What appeals to me is the freedoms it allows- from much of the DOT scrutiny, greater parking options (which is huge in my opinion), much lower expense costs, affordability of vehicle, etc. I've also always loved vans and I think I would even enjoy the process of setting it up. I once bought a bus and turned it into a camper and I think I would get a kick out of trying to set up a van in such a way to maximize cargo space.

My concerns, however, is the home time. Currently, as a truck driver living in St. Louis, I am able to get home every weekend. I would think that, living where I do, this would be achievable as an expeditor as well. Am I being naive? Is there not enough expedited freight to get though St. Louis every weekend?

As you can see, I'm still wet behind the ears in my research so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dementedhumor

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We live just north of Saint Louis and we can go three months without going through the city! Amazes me how often we miss it and just have to head for home.

As a solo I think you would be able to get home more often as you would probably have good loads in Chicago as well.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Very few expedite companies (if any) have directional dispatch. Getting home every weekend will be hard no matter where you live.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Going through St. Louis would be rare. Have you looked at switching to a straight truck? It will give you increased parking opportunities.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
Most expediters stay out on the road for weeks at a time. This method maximizes their revenue (less deadhead) and is expected by the big companies. They might pick up something going nearby from time to time but to expect it on a weekly basis is not naive, more like wishful thinking. At the other extreme, there are some who return home after every delivery. These drivers are usually with smaller companies. It all comes down to trade-offs. If you want to be home more you will make less, basically.

RDC

Expert Expediter
Most expediters stay out on the road for weeks at a time. This method maximizes their revenue (less deadhead) and is expected by the big companies. They might pick up something going nearby from time to time but to expect it on a weekly basis is not naive, more like wishful thinking. At the other extreme, there are some who return home after every delivery. These drivers are usually with smaller companies. It all comes down to trade-offs. If you want to be home more you will make less, basically.

who are some of the smaller companies that dont mind u returning home after a load?Its actually not such a bad idea because u dont have the waiting in a parking lot for another load or spending the money on showers or hotel rooms and food.Even if u decide not to get a hotel, u have to run a heater or A/C unit non-stop ,depending on the season.

demented

Active Expediter
Wow. Guess I'll have to reconsider. Even if you run under your own authority it's difficult to get runs to St. Louis?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't believe your understanding the dynamics of this type of business. If your going to Cuba or Rolla each day that's one thing. If your going to Laredo or Atlanta it will be a bit costly to drive home after each delivery.:rolleyes:

A general rule will be most companies will expect you to be available at least 21 days a month. Some may want more from you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow. Guess I'll have to reconsider. Even if you run under your own authority it's difficult to get runs to St. Louis?
Well, runs go to St Louis every day. There's four right there, one picking up in Cleveland, one picking up in Indianapolis, another in Ft Wayne, and the other in Detroit. Too bad you're sitting in Charlotte. Oh, wow, here's a load picking up in Charlotte in an hour, delivers to Dallas. The loads going out of Dallas the next day are going to Laredo, Tuscon, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Piscataway and Baltimore. You take the one to Piscataway 'cause you're livin' on the edge. Your next loads goes to Mobile, AL.

I delivered a load on May 25th in Laredo, TX. On July 21, I deadheaded 300 miles home from Knoxville for my DOT physical and vehicle inspection. That's 4 days shy of 2 months. In those two months I had one day in Tulsa, one in Arkansas, one in Atlanta. The rest of the days were spent in Texas and Louisiana, bouncing back and forth between them, with one week in Florida, mostly sitting because it was 4th of July week. Even that one day in Atlanta brought me a load to Pensacola.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Expedited Emergency Freight, where you never know where or when you next load is coming from, nor where it's going. With your own authority you can sort of pick and choose, but you can't really be all that picky and choosy. And that assumes you know where to get freight and have access to the expedited customers. There is virtually zero Sprinter and cargo van freight on the public load boards.

The last time I was in St Louis I deadheaded there from Chicago to buy some deep cycle batteries in Hazelwood. That was a few days before Thanksgiving 2010. Last time before that was nearly a year earlier in December 2009, when I delivered to Moberly which is close enough.

I once was determined to stay out until I got a load that delivered within an hour of the house, of which there are several places what expedited freight delivers. I was out for nine months.

You know those tow truck drivers who sit on the shoulder of the Interstate during rush hour waiting for an accident to happen nearby? There ya go. That's us. :D

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive for one of the smaller companies mentioned, operating out of Chicago. Outbound loaded, deadhead back. The upside is that I am home frequently, the downside is that approximately half of my mileage is non-paid deadhead miles. So, if you have your heart set on that it can be done. Just look in your local papers/Craigslist and see who's doing that in your area.

It's occurred to me that there might be more real money to be made if you're doing the other way where you're not home as much, but it does mean making arrangements back home for handling your mail and such. It also means you spend a good deal of time away from friends and family, and for some people the trade-off isn't worth it in the long run. Figure what fits for you and ride with it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I live near Cleveland, Oh, right at the exit for 71 on the turnpike. I'm amazed at how often I go through the area, but have a load onboard and no time to stop, just wave on the way past, lol.
We are like a taxi or ambulance: impossible to predict where the next call will take you.
If that doesn't sound like an exciting adventure, you probably won't love expediting - but I do. :)

Camper

Not a Member
Hi all. I've been a truck driver for fifteen years and I'm considering buying a cargo van and getting into expediting. What appeals to me is the freedoms it allows- from much of the DOT scrutiny, greater parking options (which is huge in my opinion), much lower expense costs, affordability of vehicle, etc.

The trade off of these advantages is a much more competitve arena given the low barrier to entry they provide many others who have similar ideas.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I live near Cleveland, Oh, right at the exit for 71 on the turnpike. I'm amazed at how often I go through the area, but have a load onboard and no time to stop, just wave on the way past, lol.
We are like a taxi or ambulance: impossible to predict where the next call will take you.
If that doesn't sound like an exciting adventure, you probably won't love expediting - but I do. :)
I think you've managed to come up with a way to put someone on Reverse Ignore. :D

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a few of us and very few that have lucked into a deal where we are home a lot,The longest I am gone is 22 hours. But thats all we are willing to share.