Trk won't turn off

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I got a 02 4300 Int that won't turn off,per my driver she turns the key in the off postion and the gauges all shut down but the trk keeps on running.Gonna layover in charlston s.c if anyone knows a shop that's open on sun and are mechanics not part changes i would apprecatate it,ignition switch or short in the wiring i would guess.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4300 is multiplexed.

key switch tells body computer to turn off a relay that will then shut down the fuel.

Should be able to pull a fuse (panel is under hood on left side) or a relay, some are behind the panel in front of the pass seat (big panel that has "International" written on it. Pulls straight off).

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks guys,im concerned about it re starting like otvm said.I can't find a Internation service dept open past noon on sat and everybody is closed on sun.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose then just turn the key "on" and eat the fuel cost till ya can get it in...prolly cheaper then a hook charge. Good Luck

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I am not with the trk,my driver is enroute to charleston s.c were nothing is open.I am leaning toward letting it run for a couple days til i can get to a mechenic by her over the holiday like ovm said better then a tow.I think there's a open circuit some were cause last week if she let the trk sit for 24hrs it would need a jump 12-15 hrs it would start so maybe the solanoid was open an that slow draw killed the battery.I don't know if there connected just thought i mention it.thanks again for all the help.

pinnacle1

Seasoned Expediter
this suggestion is really a risky, but if you need to shut down the engine, take the intake tube off the turbo and use a piece of ply wood or thick plastic container and push it up to the turbo intake housing, sealing off the intake. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!!! DO NOT USE YOUR HANDS TO SEAL THE HOUSING, THE TURBO WILL PULL YOUR HAND IN. I had to do once this on a run away diesel gernerator.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I wil check the kw dealer,however all the internation and freightliner service dept are closed on sun and she's just now getting into s.c.I'm gonna wait til she get's to a service dept mon and see what they suggest,wil let it run if need be and get in to a local shop weds so she can get a load mon,tues,and head back weds if nothing happens load wise.Hate to waste the fuel but i'd prefer she get's home and into a local shop.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got a really dumb question, did you call International to talk to a customer rep? I don't know if it is like a Cummins where I can call them and find out where to go.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I called,they didn't know of anyplace open sun,i ben working the web the kw dealer or shop closed at noon sat and is closed sun.I there's a t/a 80 miles away in manning s.c but there part changes and i don't want them messing with it,unless someone knows they have a mechanic that's working sun who's good.I really hope that the trouble is connected to the slow draw on the battery i was talking about,anyway thanks again for the imput.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I couldn't find anyone on a sunday except a roadservice,got it in at International in Charleston S.C was a wiring harness which only took an hour but they had to order it from West Chicago I.L so they got it done tues,not bad all things considered.Thanks again everyone for there input.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Well trk won't turn off again,that harness that was put on in S.C is fryed again.The short was further up says Internation service in Hammond I.N they wil replace harness and continue to look for short,wil be calling S.C monday morning.x(

HUBEE16

Expert Expediter
I don't know if this will help, as the incident has already occurred but I had an ISUZU FTR and when the alternator was not charging, the engine would not shut off. I would have to go under the hood and throttle down on the fuel cable, but the idiot guage would not show it not charging, but when I shut the key off and it kept running, I knew that was the problem. In fact, I also had a GMC(Isuzu in disguise) that the same thing happened to. Evidently, the kill switch is powered by the battery current.