Trickle Down Effect

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the driver shortage (?) and E logs now in the tractor trailer world, have other Sprinter/Van drivers noticed more loads that were originally booked for big trucks that can’t cover them?

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Difficult to gauge. I don't get many 44,000 lbs./26 pallet load offers. In the past I have picked up one or two pallets of a larger shipment that went TL or LTL because I could get it there faster and keep the receiver satisfied until the rest of the shipment arrived.

I would guess that 60% - 70% of the expedite C and D units are operated by teams so E logs isn't a major factor. With E units solo drivers could just swap trailers on longer runs.

Reactions: Grizzly

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve done two this week (first was 2 crates 1200# second 6 skids 1100#) and on the second one the shipper mentioned that they were having problems getting loads covered.
Both had LTL carriers name on BOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve done two this week (first was 2 crates 1200# second 6 skids 1100#) and on the second one the shipper mentioned that they were having problems getting loads covered.
Both had LTL carriers name on BOL.

Most of those, I believe, are going to places where the LTL Carries may not service that area. Or they just don’t want to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of those, I believe, are going to places where the LTL Carries may not service that area. Or they just don’t want to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

The second one was a regular run that the carrier was having trouble covering (Toronto to Georgetown Ky).

Reactions: Steady Eddie

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of those, I believe, are going to places where the LTL Carries may not service that area.
Exactly! All the large LTL carriers claim full 48 state service and even global service. In theory they do but they inter-line with other carriers.

Shipments going west of the Mississippi often will go to a terminal in a larger city. If the final destination is out in the sticks, a regional carrier will pick it up and deliver it. This adds at least an extra day to the transit time. If the shipment can't afford the extra day, we get called to pick it up from the local terminal.

A few weeks ago I picked up a load at the ABF break/bulk in Sauk Village, IL, right off U.S. 30 and the Illinois/Indiana state line. The shipment picked up in St. Charles, IL on Wednesday by the local ABF terminal, Aurora? That night it went to the break/bulk in Sauk Village, maybe 45 miles away. That move cost one day transit time on the load. I picked it up early Thursday afternoon at Sauk Village and delivered to a Denver suburb early Friday afternoon. They were very happy to see me! LTL would have delivered Monday.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I'm sure there's been a up tick from that. I think shippers and consignee are getting things done by scheduling and getting use to it. Sure things may be a bit behind, but there dealing with it and wanting that T/T and or Str8!