Tri State's No Forced Dispatch Rule

highway runner

Seasoned Expediter
I would like to get people's opinions of what no forced dispatch means. To me this means you are not forced or penalized severely for not taking a load. I found out the hard way that Tri State now puts you on 12 hour refusal for not taking a legitimate load. This means you are not offered loads for 12 hours (unless they really need you). You are also placed at the bottom of the board for 12 hours, regardless of how many trucks come into that area.

The only loads that you can turn down are, over half deadhead, or the load is further than 24 hours in advance.

This means I have to take a load that is 49 miles deadhead and 100 paid miles (team) and doesn't pick up for 23 hours. What's wrong with this picture?

I've been here 2 1/2 years and this used to be a good company to work for. I'm ##### about this. Just what is no forced dispatch.

It's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission.:-(

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Your post will get there attention but thats about all. Start Looking thats what this Site is all about. No need to argue, vent, etc.. business is business and yours needs to be working for you. A team for a 100 mile run come on now, why do companies even bother with such small loads unless they pay around $500.

My math tells me that in this business if my truck is not earning $500 a day while I am out there with a three week on, one week off split I am gona be loosing $ for that day. If you can make it happen to all you who are gona dissagree my only response is just like Faith Hill sings enjoy your pork and beans, paper plates, and TV that fades in and out cause your not gona be able to afford anything else.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
join ooida and call them and explain what is going on and ooida will help you along with what you should, if i'm not making money on load
i will turn it down

that's what i like about egl im morning given what is going to be done for day if there is something i don't want to do give it back to them and they will have it cover some how
but most of the time i don't turn to many loads down
they know if they give me newport news , williamsburg, hampton etc
they will have a hard time getting back to chesapeake, if it doesn't paid well as it is 70 miles round trip and not going to waste time if can't make money

as i tell em i give to church on sunday and not egl

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With the price of fuel, HOS, and operating costs, the days of a 100 mile run are pretty much over if there is any deadhead at all. If it doesn't pay $2.00 per mile there is little reason to do it.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I would venture a guess that every expedite carrier has a refusal policy whereby an owner or driver will be penalized to some degree for refusing loads. Highway Runner's carrier seems to be among the harshest with a 12 hour out of service for refusal policy. Other carriers will send you to the bottom of the dispatch queue for a refusal; allow you two or more refusals before a penalty is asssesed; disqualify you for rewards for low refusals overall; or, if you don't meet the minimum run acceptance standards, terminate your lease agreement.

Forced dispatch discussions have probably been held since the inception of the independent contract driver. I think the answer lies in the terms of your lease agreement with your carrier. If you sign an agreement to abide by the company run offer/refusal policy, whatever it may be, You aren't forced into a dispatch, coerced maybe, but not forced.

My carrier has had no less than four different refusal policies since my initial lease agreement. I didn't like three of them, but I chose to go along with the policy by way of renewing my lease each new period. Highway Runner is, in essence, going along with his carrier's policy by continuing in his agreement. Without intending to be sarcastic, I would suggest that when Highway Runner's carrier's refusal policy becomes untenable, he use his 12 hour out of service period to research other carriers.

Terry

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
well it's funny u should say that because i'm thinking "non-forced" is an esoteric way of saying " we wont blatently penalize you, but you'll pay....one way or another"x(

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure OOIDA would be much help here. Most contracts have a clause that says the carrier makes no guarantee to provide freight. That would probably let them get away with a policy like that.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If essentially putting you OOS for 12 hrs, by refusing to offer loads isn't blatant punishment, what the heck is?!
Carriers don't force you to accept loads - they just let you know that refusal entails consequences, & it's up to you to decide. ConWay will put you at the bottom of the list, ( but if you happen to be the only unit in the area, it's a real short list, so they will sometimes offer same load, but more money. ) I once turned down the same load 3 times, then they asked "What will it take?" and my response was "Double or nothing!" I didn't expect them to agree, (& they came close, but not quite to double), but I hadn't turned it down because it didn't pay enough, so that was ok.
I have found them to be more reasonable if your reason for turning the load down is a good one - ie, not because you don't like Canada, or New York, or wherever.
Every aspect of this business involves weighing the pros & cons, & then making a choice. Wow - that's just like real life, lol!;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With Landstar there is no direct penalty of any kind. The particular express center that called you on the load may choose to not call you again that day or for whatever time frame but there is no company wide refusal policy or penalty. Panther would put you at the end of the line. If there were 5 trucks in the area and you were number 1 and refused you'd become number 4 in line, presuming the next one in line took the load and left. If they turn it down theoretically they are fourth and you are now third. Theoretically, if it got to truck 5 before being placed you'd be back at number 1 again but that's not too likely. I was told by Con-Way recruiting there is zero penalty for refusal. I was told once you reach number 1 you stay in that position and get first refusal on all loads until you accept a load. Another post on here says they work like Panther with a go to the end of the line policy. I don't know which is correct although I like the idea of stay first till you accept best. I'd never accept being put OOS 12 hours. If that's truly happening it would be time for me to move on.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No way 12 hours is acceptable. Basically they're dictating to you that you aren't going to make money that day. Well... chances are, if you take that 100 mi run with a team, you aren't making money that day either. So, I'd rather do nothing for nothing than something for nothing or less. But once I'd see that refusal policy put in place, I'd be looking for another "business partner".

Hafta say I don't mind our refusal policy. There is none! There aren't many good reasons to turn down loads to begin with. But dispatch doesn't give us grief when we tell them we were headed home or some other good reason. The way I see it... the fewer the rules, the greater the earning potential.

uneasyexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
yeah, like Panther's...if you don't accept Canada freight they want to take money off the mileage pay. think it was like 5 cents or something.

Bud Davis

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is their policy if you fail to qualify to enter Canada. Not if you are qualified and refuse a Canadian run.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I was told by a van driver that you have to accept one Canada run every quarter. Not too much to ask. Personally, I don't see Canada as being up there with NY and Chicago for runs ppl don't want. Some ppl just don't like the view on the 401, I guess. Broom? ;)