Tri-State has lost their GM contract???

G

What's this rumor flying around that the GM Contract with Tri-State will no longer be after this year? Tri-State not confirming anything. If this is so, I would like to know who under cut the rate so I can avoid that company.

G

Don't quote me on this..but I would say it was JB Hunt Expediters or CTX. How can you go?

G

And I thought Tr-State rates were already too cheap! If some one under cut them, pity their poor contractors! The guys that are willing to drive for those companies at cut rate are killing the rest of us. We got to stick together!!

G

It's probally been handed over to a logistics management company

EH

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It seems like I read somewhere that they were losing the contract to someone(Thompsons comes to mind but may not be correct). However at the last minute there was a change of mind and Tri State was to keep the contract. This may or may not all be true. I cannot even remember where I saw this. Since Tri State is not my company, I kind of passed it over. Ed

G

Would'nt want to wish anything ... on anyone, but!! 70c a mile freight don't cut it!! "T"

G

Who runs freight for 70cpm? I am quite amazed at how many people talk about how low TriStates rates are, but somehow I am managing to pay the bills and throw some $ in savings. Granted $1 a mile is not going to make anyone a millionaire, however it does pay the bills. TriState also pays their contractors 65% - I realize that if Roberts has to run the same load they would make less, why not try to get the company to step up to the plate and pay what people are worth also. On the other hand, it doesnt matter how much you are paid for miles, if you starve for miles, you don't make any money sitting at the truckstop waiting for a load.

What about the big trucks running freight, if they are willing to run for $.70 - $.90 cpm, do you think people are going to simply hand us more money? If you compare the operating costs of a big truck to running a straight truck, we are making out better in the end. I guess I have a different perspective on this, since I was once one of those "big rigs" trying to make a living, and barely scratching the surface, came over here, and actually make more than minimum wage.

As for TriState losing the GM contract, I have 3,000 miles of runs since Saturday that says they didnt.

G

One question, How much deadhead is involved in picking up this dollar a mile freight and how much deadheading do you do once it is delivered? (Not being judgemental, just curious)

The reason the big trucks are scrambling for 70 cpm freight is they have already went through the price cutting and lowballing the big companies are doing to us now. People tried to refuse cheap freight and keep the rates up but just like us their are people who will run for next to nothing. If we keep taking the cheap freight that is all their will be. Like she said just look at the big trucks. That will be us in a few years, watch and learn.

G

TO ALL THAT REPLYED TO TRI-STATE LOST OF CONTRACT , AS YOU ALL KNOW CONTRACTS ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE PAPER THEY ARE WRITTEN ON . TODAY YOUR THE KING AND NEXTDAY , YOU ARE GONE. ANYONE CAN WALK IN AND SAY THEY HAVE A CONTRACT WITH ONE OF THE BIG 3 ,BUT THERE ARE SO MANY COMPANYS SERVICING THEM RIGHT NOW THEY JUST PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL THE CLOSEST NUMBER THEY CAN REMEMBER . TAKE IT FROM ME THERE IS NO LOYALITY AND NO REASON TO GET YOUR HEAD IN A SPIN. TRI-STATE GIVES GREAT SERVICE , AND ROBERTS AND LANDSTAR AND SO ON. BUSINESS NEED SEVICES . AND THINGS CHANGE WE ALL HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT . THATS A PART OF BEING IN BUSINESS YOU NEVER NOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN . WE ALL HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER AND HOPE THE AUTO SALES STAY UP AT A NEAR RECORD PASS OR WE WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHO'S GOT WHOS CONTRACT. GOOD LUCK

G

Wild Bill,

While I do run lots of $1 freight, I am also QUITE cautious in how I do it to make a profit to the truck. I run Rand Mcnally Trip Maker, before I accept a load I run the ENTIRE trip - where I am sitting to p/u to consignee - then I make sure I am not giving up more than 7% total miles (paid + bonus) to actual miles. It isnt a fail safe rule, it also depends on where that load will put me, and how hard of a time I an having getting off of the board I'm on.

As for 70cpm freight, call it lucky or business minded but even in my big truck I NEVER ran 70 cpm, that was a small time (less than 15 trucks) family owned business and there was no way we could put a roof over our head and live comfortably for 70cpm. If I were willing to make that kind of money any local fast food joint could have fit the bill, and offered benefits.

G

Tristate can keep their cheap freight as long as FROSTY KEEPS HAULING THEIR GARBAGE THEY,LL KEEP PUSHING DOWN THE PRICES. I TURNED DOWN THREE LOADS YESTERDAY THAT WOULD HAVE COVERED FUEL AND TOLLS ONLY.IT WOULD HAVE PUT ME IN A LANE ALONG WITH 20 OTHER TRUCKS. TRISTATE PUTS TRUCKS AND VANS ON EVERY DAY SO THEY CAN CUT YOUR THROAT.WE ALL NEED TO LET WHOEVER BIDS THIS FREIGHT FOR TRI STATE HAUL IT. P.S. I NOW BROOKER MY OWN FREIGHT I GET A DOLLAR A MILE MY SHIPPERS STILL SAY ITS C HEAPER THAN TRISTATE.SO WHOS MAKING THE MONEY.

G

Actually if you were familiar with TriState and its lease you would understand that while my truck may make $1.00 they recieve 35% on top of that for administrative costs (dispatch, billing, log, permits, I could go on and on) so that turns out to be $1.44 per mile, so now who is running cheap freight if you are brokering for $1.00 a mile? I don't fault people for attempting to make money, regardless of what they are getting paid, does it hurt me, indirectly, but is it better for them, yes it is. I would much rather have someone trying to support their family than allow my tax dollars to do it.

So in a nut shell, as long as my truck is moving, and its profiting ($1 or more), I'll be running whatever they ask me to. I wish the same type or better profits for you and yours, and in the future if you wish for me to run for a better rate, please email me with where to pick up the truck of my chioce, pay my fuel, and all expenses. Until then, be safe, Frosty.

G

I dont understand how I am the choosen one, please explain. I thought I was the average expediter, who pays the bills and is able to save a little for a rainy day.