Travel alert: 77 closed in WV

mzraik

Active Expediter
Updates on Rockslide and Gas Explosion - According to news website.

BREAKING NEWS: Rockslide Closes One Lane of Rt. 60 near Cedar Grove

ADVERTISEMENT

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A rockslide has closed part of Route 60 near Cedar Grove.

The slide was reported around 11 a.m. Tuesday.

Route 60 is down to one lane in the area.

DOH crews are on the scene, working to clean up the mess.

No word when the lane will be reopened.

WSAZ has a crew on the scene.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information on this story.

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m.
SISSONVILLE, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- According to Metro 911, people in the area are being asked to shelter in place after a major gas explosion has been reported in Sissonville.

Sissonville Elementary is not being evacuated, but sheltering
in place.

NGK Spark Plugs in Sissonville tells WSAZ.com that they are shutting down the plant for A and B shift. C shift is to report as scheduled.

Emergency crews at the scene tell WSAZ.com that the gas line has been capped.

Right now, the northbound lanes of I-77 are shut down at the I-77/79 split in Charleston. All traffic is being diverted to I-79N.

Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper tells WSAZ.com crews were called to what was described as a major gas line explosion in Sissonville.

The fire was reported just before 1 p.m. along Teresa Lane in Sissonville.

President Carper says fires have been reported in multiple locations. This explosion happened very close to Cedar Ridge Nursing Home, according to Carper.

So far no injuries or fatalities have been reported.

Drivers near the area say they can see flames shooting in the air.

Rt. 21 will be limited to emergency vehicles.

Sgt. Michael Baylous tells WSAZ.com the line belongs to Columbia Gas. Crews are currently on the scene.

A spokesperson with Mountaineer Gas says the line is not theirs, but the company does have crews helping to assist in the area.

Kanawha County Schools issued an automated message about 2:30 p.m. letting parents know who have children attending schools in the Sissonville area are safe and will remain at the school until the roads reopen.

Governor Earl Ray Tomblin is holding a news conference at 4:10 p.m. at Sissonville High School.

We have a crew at the scene. Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.

I ran up 77 just a few days ago... Fwhewy!!!!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
USA Today reports five houses burned.
The fire spread under the Interstate through a culvert. Melted. Road will be closed up to 2 days.

mzraik

Active Expediter
Here's a link to another report.

5 homes set on fire after gas line explodes in West Virginia | Fox News

Looks like I-77, and (route 21, used for emergency vehicles only) are going to be closed for a bit...

If you have to go that way, you may want to consider I-79 to Morgantown or US-35, depending on the direction and type of vehicle you have. I'm not from the area, there may be other routes, too, but these look to be the easiest. What a tough area to have to re-route around...

Be safe...

The statement for the road being closed for 2 days only covered the time needed to assess the damages. With a bridge involved, I would bet they rebuild it. They at least will have to re-pave the highway. This road is going to be difficult for quite some time.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm assuming WV will post detours, as NC did for the closure of 40 a couple years ago - this could take awhile to fix.

Attachments

• 77.jpg
    77.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 10

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Here's a link to another report.

5 homes set on fire after gas line explodes in West Virginia | Fox News

Looks like I-77, and (route 21, used for emergency vehicles only) are going to be closed for a bit...

If you have to go that way, you may want to consider I-79 to Morgantown or US-35, depending on the direction and type of vehicle you have. I'm not from the area, there may be other routes, too, but these look to be the easiest. What a tough area to have to re-route around...

Be safe...

The statement for the road being closed for 2 days only covered the time needed to assess the damages. With a bridge involved, I would bet they rebuild it. They at least will have to re-pave the highway. This road is going to be difficult for quite some time.

Or maybe I79 to clarksburg, then US 50w towards Parkersbug/Marrieta
Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin