Transit Repairs

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2016 Ford Transit 250 High roof Extended length. I bought it new three and a half years ago and I have 377,000 miles on it. I have had what I consider minimal (not MINOR) repairs until now.I discovered early on that I would have to use a Ford service department for repairs. My shop that kept my 2008 Chevy Express running won't touch my Transit. The expensive repairs that I have encountered are a catalytic converter, a radiator replacement, and throttle body replacement twice. These were expensive but were done in a timely fashion with no issues. That all changed after Labor Day weekend.
I took it in for a tune-up and oil change. When I arrived to pick it up, I was told that the timing belt/chain was not working correctly and would need to be replaced. I didn't take it to get a second opinion because it was not running anymore. I drove it in, but I couldn't drive it out.
It took two weeks and $3500 to get this job done. When I took it out, it was not running as it had before. I took it back and was told that it just needed to "relearn" something?????
I ran one load with it running badly, but at least it was running. I made my delivery and as I was leaving the facility, the check engine light came on. I immediately came home to my service department and was waiting when they opened up. Now two weeks later they have redone the job. I took it back out. It ran beautifully for about 250 miles. Then the engine light came on and it started running rough again. They have been in contact with an engineer from Ford. No help. They have replaced another part and will be test driving it on Monday several times.
I know this post is exceptionally long. Thanks for letting me vent. Anybody else experiencing anything thing like this.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
First question is what code with check engine. I am not a big believe in dealer service. I am not automotively mechanical so I have to take someone else's word and I trust my local independent mechanic.i have replaced both cats, rear end, torque converter, 4 throttle body controls. 2015 350 long & tall 530,000+ miles. Also, through no fault of the vehicle I took it through water deeper that is advisable and his to replace the engine.
I have a 2016 Ford Transit 250 High roof Extended length. I bought it new three and a half years ago and I have 377,000 miles on it. I have had what I consider minimal (not MINOR) repairs until now.I discovered early on that I would have to use a Ford service department for repairs. My shop that kept my 2008 Chevy Express running won't touch my Transit. The expensive repairs that I have encountered are a catalytic converter, a radiator replacement, and throttle body replacement twice. These were expensive but were done in a timely fashion with no issues. That all changed after Labor Day weekend.
I took it in for a tune-up and oil change. When I arrived to pick it up, I was told that the timing belt/chain was not working correctly and would need to be replaced. I didn't take it to get a second opinion because it was not running anymore. I drove it in, but I couldn't drive it out.
It took two weeks and $3500 to get this job done. When I took it out, it was not running as it had before. I took it back and was told that it just needed to "relearn" something?????
I ran one load with it running badly, but at least it was running. I made my delivery and as I was leaving the facility, the check engine light came on. I immediately came home to my service department and was waiting when they opened up. Now two weeks later they have redone the job. I took it back out. It ran beautifully for about 250 miles. Then the engine light came on and it started running rough again. They have been in contact with an engineer from Ford. No help. They have replaced another part and will be test driving it on Monday several times.
I know this post is exceptionally long. Thanks for letting me vent. Anybody else experiencing anything thing like this.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
The first time I took it out there were 6 codes by the time I got 325 miles back to my dealer. I don't remember all of them, but that is when after a couple of solenoids being replaced, they just decided to do the whole job again. The last time I took it out, the code was P00015, which I think is a generic code meaning something isn't right. This time they have replaced some type of air tube and solenoid. The turbo was making a lot of noise and this is what the mechanic decided was the problem. If this doesn't solve the problem, I will go to another shop. I plan on begging my previous repair shop. They have been in business for decades.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Hopefully you have a code reader and record and investigate codes yourself. Every code has multiple possible causes. Dealers are famous for playing the odds and throwing the most likely parts at it until they find the right one. Meanwhile you're paying for the parts.

Post where you live so members can reccomended someone they might know in your area.

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I do have a code reader and I google the code when I get one. As far as all the parts and labor after the initial bill which included the tune-up and oil change, they haven't charged me anything. However, the mechanic seems to be taking his time and meanwhile I am sitting at home. The first timing belt/chain job was supposed to e a two day job. It took 6 days, and when he was done there was an antifreeze leak which took another 3 days to order the part needed and repair that, which happened when they had it. I went in and talked to the service manager about my concerns with the mechanic, and the second timing belt/chain actually took the 2 days it was supposed to. But they still have not solved the problem. It is going on week 5. When I get it back if it is still not right, I will be finding another repair shop.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is not Transit specific, I don't own one and have never worked on one but after reading the OP I would say get another repair shop once these guys correct their mistakes from the timing belt job (the rest sounds normal). Reading through this it sounds like the tech rushed or was rushed through the job failing to re assemble/connect things properly, decided to take shortcuts, didn't use specialized tools when called for or a combination or all the above. I've been wrenching on stuff in one form or another for 35 years, and one thing I can tell you is the newer it is, the fewer options there are for shortcuts and time saving. Even on stuff as old as say 2006, following the OEM book methods in the end always results in a quicker and better repair. While some younger tech's get this, their "old school" shop managers may not and still believe in rushing things out the door.

I also have a HUGE problem anytime a vehicle gets dropped off in running condition for something minor and suddenly it doesn't run and needs a major repair. Did these guys catastrophically fubar up the oil change or something (like wipe out your engine) and try to cover it up with telling you you needed major work all of a sudden?

It's hard to say, without knowing all the facts...but reading the OP, to me it seems to have a foul odor to it.

Your P0015 code is a generic code for Camshaft position sensor B.

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Your P0015 code is a generic code for Camshaft position sensor B.

Which in the Transit can be triggered by a failing coil pack that hasn't tripped its own code yet.

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I am still waiting for them to figure this out. Now it dies sometimes when I am slowing down to a crawl, but not always. That is when I get the check engine code P00015. I was suspicious of the tune-up from the beginning since that is when it all started. They replaced the spark plugs and the boots but didn't say anything about the coils. They have been in touch with a Ford engineer several times making changes to different things. The last thing that I know they changed out was a purge valve. Then the same thing happened. It died as they were backing into a parking place. They had test driven it several times that day with nothing going wrong until later. I like that info about a failing coil pack. Isn't that what the spark plugs and boots are connected to? I definitely will be on the phone first thing Monday morning to share this info with them, even though they should have checked it out anyway. I have mixed feelings about having the timing chain replaced. I was told by someone else that if the timing chain breaks, there goes the engine, and they should be changed at about 150,000 miles. I have 377,000 miles on mine. I'm trying to tell myself it was "preventive maintenance" which I whole-heartedly believe in. In any case, I definitely will not use this Ford Dealership anymore. I talked to the service manager and asked him to put someone else on my truck, but he told me he was short-handed. He has spent a lot of time and money on my truck. i would think he would have already done that. This is fairly large dealership with about 5 MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIANS. If anybody has any other ideas, please send them my way. I have been out of service for 6 weeks, all of it because of this.

• Sad
Reactions: Treadmill

SGAVan1

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am still waiting for them to figure this out. Now it dies sometimes when I am slowing down to a crawl, but not always. That is when I get the check engine code P00015. I was suspicious of the tune-up from the beginning since that is when it all started. They replaced the spark plugs and the boots but didn't say anything about the coils. They have been in touch with a Ford engineer several times making changes to different things. The last thing that I know they changed out was a purge valve. Then the same thing happened. It died as they were backing into a parking place. They had test driven it several times that day with nothing going wrong until later. I like that info about a failing coil pack. Isn't that what the spark plugs and boots are connected to? I definitely will be on the phone first thing Monday morning to share this info with them, even though they should have checked it out anyway. I have mixed feelings about having the timing chain replaced. I was told by someone else that if the timing chain breaks, there goes the engine, and they should be changed at about 150,000 miles. I have 377,000 miles on mine. I'm trying to tell myself it was "preventive maintenance" which I whole-heartedly believe in. In any case, I definitely will not use this Ford Dealership anymore. I talked to the service manager and asked him to put someone else on my truck, but he told me he was short-handed. He has spent a lot of time and money on my truck. i would think he would have already done that. This is fairly large dealership with about 5 MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIANS. If anybody has any other ideas, please send them my way. I have been out of service for 6 weeks, all of it because of this.

SGAVan1

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where do you live? I know some really good Ford dealers that have given me excellent service when I have had problems. GA, SC, MI

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
This is not the first time I have had a problem here at home. A little over a year ago, the dealership that I was using couldn't seem to get a tune up correct. This dealership got it right the first time. I've never had any problem getting good, fast, correct service out on the road. I guess I should make sure I break down away from home!

Sent from my SM-G960U using EO Forums mobile app

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I did have a problem in Georgia once. They couldn't get the spare tire off, so they just cut the cable. They told me it was stripped. That's why they had to cut it. When my nephew was getting ready to replace that part, I saw what had happened. They just couldn't figure out how to release the cable from the piece holding the tire on. It's really hard to trust repairmen these days. I miss my repair shop that kept my 2006 Chevy Express running to 700,000 miles. They won't touch my Transit.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I did have a problem in Georgia once. They couldn't get the spare tire off, so they just cut the cable. They told me it was stripped. That's why they had to cut it. When my nephew was getting ready to replace that part, I saw what had happened. They just couldn't figure out how to release the cable from the piece holding the tire on. It's really hard to trust repairmen these days. I miss my repair shop that kept my 2006 Chevy Express running to 700,000 miles. They won't touch my Transit.

A long list of things that Ford engineers could have done better and spare tire mechanism is near the top.

Reactions: ntimevan

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry to hear that. But a dealer top mechanic consulting the Ford engineer? I don't buy it. Personally, me too, don't like the dealer.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Info....not all dealers are bad, but you get the idea.

Parts and Service
show_me_the_money_how_car_dealerships_make_their_profit-pic-5524874729497974697-1600x1200.jpeg

If you buy a new car (or a certified pre-owned car), it comes with some kind of warranty from the carmaker. If you have a problem with the car and it’s “under warranty,” you won’t have to pay to get it fixed. Who does pay? The car manufacturer pays the dealership to fix a new car, but usually not at the same hourly rate that you, as a customer, would have to pay. Therefore the dealer would prefer to do as little warranty work as possible, because it doesn’t pay as well. If it’s a used car, they really don’t want to perform warranty work—they usually pay for that out of their pocket.
By combining warranty work with non-warranty service work, rolling in the profit from parts, and the work that’s coming out of the body shop, you’ll find the big profit leader for the dealership. The dirty work in the back of the building generates a 15.6% net profit rate. Most of that comes from mechanical repairs. Dealers also sell wholesale parts to independent garages, and some will sell retail parts over the counter to people just like you.
So the next time you visit or drive by a dealership with all that shiny metal parked around it, remember that all of that is just for show. The stuff going on out back is what actually makes the dough.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"We are talking to a Ford (or whoever) engineer" is the new standard excuse for delays or we don't know what to do next situations. If they really are dealing with the OEM, there will be a case number (the name varies) generated that you should ask for.

The above post is spot on as well. Giant dealerships with hundreds of vehicles in inventory tend to also have the lowest satisfaction scores with their service departments because the service department has to support the massive bling operation out front. The only time I think these huge dealerships are a good idea for repair work is when it is a very new model and it's under warranty (never agree to ANY other work). Reason being is the huge dealerships will spend the bucks to send their shop guys for training on new products right away so they can make warranty work as painless (less expensive) as possible given they will likely sell a lot of new model product vs. the small country dealer.