Transfering, Protecting, and Recovering Your Compu

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you have not already done so, computer USB flash memory sticks may be worth your time to consider. My wife and I just started using them and are glad we did.

They are about the size of a key chain ornament and can hold up to 1 Gig of data. Smaller, less expensive sizes are available. You simply plug a stick into your USB port and presto! you have a whole new drive on your computer. There are no moving parts. You can carry them in your pocket with your keys and change. They weigh next to nothing. You can drop them on the floor and they'll still work. When I set one on my keyboard, it is just big enough to cover five keys in one row.

We bought two 512 MB sticks at CompUSA for less than $100 each. We copied our important files onto one and sent it home for backup purposes. We use the other for backup in the truck and carry it in our pocket in when out of the truck.

The sticks can also be used to move files from one computer to another in the same way people do (did) with A-drive floppy disks. A floppy disk holds a little more than 1 Megabyte (MB) of data. The sticks we bought hold 500 times that much (512 MB). Sticks that hold 1,000 times as much (1 Gigabyte) are also available.

If the truck burns or our computer is stolen, we can be back up computing almost as fast as we can buy a replacement computer. If we lose both the computer and the stick we have on the road, the one at home can be FedEx'ed to us overnight to get us back up and running.

Note that the sticks come in different shapes. On some computers the USB slots are vertical. Others are horizontal. If you buy a round or oblong-shaped USB stick, that will work fine on a desktop computer, but you may not be able to set your laptop computer on a flat surface and plug it in. For that reason, rectangular sticks are best.

We bought the ScanDisk Crizer Mini model. Here's the link for more info:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/cruzer-mini.asp

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: Transfering, Protecting, and Recovering Your C

Can programs be loaded on those as well? Site doesn't say...just files, pictures ect.
Davekc

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

Dave, typically yes the computer will think it's just another drive. The only caveat is that it may perform slower than a real hard disk due to it transfering data across the USB bus.

A-Team has hit on a point I cannot stress enough. Three words are an imperitive of PC's (and computing in general). Those words are: Backup, Backup, Backup. And no I don't mean going backwards in your truck!

One day you *will* have a disk fail or even worse lose a computer. What happens to all your important records when that happens? If you are backing them up a simple restore is all you need to do. If not backed up you can kiss them goodbye.

--
Mike N

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter

Great posting guys! After our accident, the biggest hurdle we had was lost data..it was a nightmare. This is great info and simple enough for someone that is a klutz with a computer like me. Thanks again for bringing this to everyones attention. Good job!

joe petro

Expert Expediter

regarding computer back ups: I would suggest people investigate on line back up services. the one downside to online back up is that you have to be, on line. but if you hook up regularly to the net via a land line or wireless then this may be for you. while I am not a trucker but a wannabe, I am an independent business man who backs up my company files everyday to an online back up service. costs to me are currently about 300.00 per year for 350 mg of storage. i have three hundred customers and twelve employees.you may not need nearly as much back up space and therefore would pay much less as you are billed by the meg. using an online backup service saves me all the headaches of trying to keep up with a back up schedule and it eliminates the worry of losing files to fire, theft, and you name it. for those that are unfamiliar with these type back ups I will offer a brief explanation.
you download the software from the vendor. I use www.backup.com (although there are many out there) then you tell the software(via click and point) what files to back up. generally you want back up your data files in any accounting program and also any other files that you just can not afford to lose. its easy to find the location of data files on your computer, you just need to find out what the data files use for an extension (that is "yourbizfiles.???" the ??? being the extension.) do a search of your computer for the file folder that holds the data files and using the backup software, point and click your way through the files telling the backup software which file to backup. you then tell the software how often to back up and when(or you can activate the back up yourself when you get on line) I back up daily but then again I am not on the road, yet. my records are kept stored for one year. I can access and download any one file or all files from any date from the last year. So, if I lose any data I can easily access any my daily backups from wherever I am as long as I can get on line. Since I started using this service it has paid for itself many times and has also helped me sleep better at night.
I hope this of interest and helps some of you.

This is a great site with great folks, I enjoy learning from you all.

JP
'It's a bad day when you don't learn something new"

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Here's an update about external USB drives. As often happens with consumer electronics, prices drop and capacity grows. CompUSA has an add in today's (12/10/04) USA Today showing a 2.2 GB drive for $99.99 after "instant savings." The product SKU number is 312060. To see it, you can go to www.CompUSA.com and search for that SKU. The web site price has not been updated to show the newspaper ad price.

$99.99 for 2 GB of storage....No one would have believed it a few short years ago.