Transfering our equipment

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
We need to hear from other expediters that have done what we are considering doing. As we search for a future replacement of our current DR unit we are seriously thinking of keeping our Kidron Ultra reefer box,Thermoking UTS, and Maxon liftgate and transfer them onto a new Cab. We've seen some trucks out here that this obviously has been done to. Our equipment is all 2001 model year.

What we would like to know is:
1. Did the transfer go relatively smooth?
2. Was it cost effective?
3. Would you do it again having done it before?
4. Do you feel you saved enough over purchasing all new equipment?

Any input on this subject, both pro and con would be helpful.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A fact to consider:

California regulators are actively talking about regulating reefer emissions as they do trucks. In their view, it would be just fine to have two reefer fleets (all carriers combined) in the nation, one running in CA with "clean" reefers, and all the rest that would not be permitted to run in CA.

While this is prompting understandable howls of protest from interstate commerce quarters, and while CA's draconian approach to reefer emissions my be restrained by federal laws, CA has fired a significant shot across the bow of anyone running reefer trucks.

No matter how CA's reefer-emissions laws change, and they likely will, a new reefer would likely be grandfathered in and would have a longer useful life. If you take your old reefer with you to a new truck it's usefulness may be limited, at least in CA.

Also, if you have not already done so, check out new reefer features and prices. Great strides have been made in recent years. Reefers are not the same as they used to be.

Going new gives you the opportunity to revisit the under-body v. top mount decision. You have under-body reefer experience already. Some drivers point out that under-body is a severe reefer-operating environment. Up top, you are free of the road spray, salt and exhaust heat that sometimes contribute to reefer failures.

Compared to top-mounts, under-body mounting adds $3,500 to $5,000 to the cost of a reefer installation. The difference is due to the labor rate being charged and the skill (speed) of the technician. Those that have done a number of split reefer installs can get the job done quicker.

Under-body mounts have their advantages, the main one being it creates more room for sleeper space if you are partial to a large sleeper.

If you are running with FedEx, a new reefer would open you to their new T-val freight, for which shippers pay a higher tariff, and which would give you additional loads to haul - an important consideration if slow economic times return. Among drivers and fleet owners, the jury is still out on the value of equipping a truck for T-val. Some say it's good, others say it is not. Note that if FedEx ever reduces it's fleet size, T-val equipped trucks would likely be the last to go.

Of course, the cost of moving equipment from one truck to another will enter in to your decision. I would be very interested, as would others, to hear what that cost would be. I hope you'd be willing to share here the estimates you receive.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>We need to hear from other expediters that have done what we
>are considering doing. As we search for a future replacement
>of our current DR unit we are seriously thinking of keeping
>our Kidron Ultra reefer box,Thermoking UTS, and Maxon
>liftgate and transfer them onto a new Cab. We've seen some
>trucks out here that this obviously has been done to. Our
>equipment is all 2001 model year.
>
>What we would like to know is:
>1. Did the transfer go relatively smooth?
>2. Was it cost effective?
>3. Would you do it again having done it before?
>4. Do you feel you saved enough over purchasing all new
>equipment?
>
>Any input on this subject, both pro and con would be
>helpful.

Been there – done that.

I owned a fleet of box/cube trucks and cycled through a bunch of new trucks before we dissolved the company. a number of trucks were purchased with deep discounts without boxes and we transferred the equipment from our trucks or trucks that were being scraped out. Some of the new trucks were purchased with everything ready to go.

I would ask around, several companies can do this work. Many around Indy but also thinking about it the dealer that you are purchasing the cab/chassis from should be able to direct you to a company that can do the work.

My transfers were done by Pollack Truck here in the Detroit area, think they are out of business. It went really smooth but the one time there was a damaged lift gate power unit that needed to be replace. Oh I did have one problem with one box that wasn’t set on the chassis right and it developed a roof leak. Easy to fix and they reseat the box without any complaints.

The cost was a lot less than if I bought a new box seeing I was using the truck for some hard work and cost mattered. The advantage was I knew the equipment, the quirks of it - to say. The disadvantage was it didn’t look new but who cares these were not show trucks – they earned their money.

Would I do it again, yep! Actually I think I will do this again soon with the new truck.

With the prices of used good boxes, I feel that I can put together a good truck with all accessories for a third or less. I already have two refer units, one for a van and one for a 24 foot box – cost for the two were a server and software, my cost was less than $1K. I have been offered a few boxes but as I am looking around, I find better boxes in odd places, like Florida.

Hope this helps.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We did this twice several years ago and the costs were as follows.
1500 to remove box and system.
1500 to install box with new u bolts. (Old ones too rusty and cut off with a torch)
800 for electrical set up and testing.
This is for a box mount.
If you have a road warrior unit, that transfer cost would have to be added. Just the unit and electrical connections, but of course not the probes.

A underbelly install will be more. If the reefer has no chassis to ride on, one must be fabricated. Depending on the chassis, will electrical lines be long enough, or need replaced with longer ones?
That will effect the cost.
Also, the underbox unit must be drained and reconnected during this process. Very expensive. Units hold as much as 30 pounds of freon which can be pricey to recharge from 0.
Does anything on the new chassis have to be moved to accomadate the install. Like exhaust, tool boxes, ect?

Not sure if that helped or not, but that will give you some idea.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Thermo King UTS unit does not require a chassis. It is designed as an underbelly reefer. In most applications, it bolts directly onto the reefer body cross members and remains fixed there. It is designed to be serviced in place. Only major and uncommon repairs would require the reefer to be unbolted from the reefer body.