Trainer's Certification for Hazmat Training

Detonatemuch?

New Recruit
Driver
I was just wondering if anyone knew if the trainer (person who trains all hazmat employees for a company) has to be certified in anything to LEGALLY train (according to DOT or ATF) hazmat employees? If so, where can I find the document stating it? I have looked in the CFR 49 but am having trouble finding anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was just wondering if anyone knew if the trainer (person who trains all hazmat employees for a company) has to be certified in anything to LEGALLY train (according to DOT or ATF) hazmat employees? If so, where can I find the document stating it? I have looked in the CFR 49 but am having trouble finding anything.

Since we are mostly, not employee's [ in expedite], the question is kind of not there. Without looking it up and speaking from experience, the DOT requires some training in orientation plus ongoing training throughout the year. Most of the responsibility for knowing what you are doing falls on you as a CDL holder with a hazmat endorsement. You take the test and pass and choose to do so, so the responsibility is yours. I'm sure there is a little more but in most instances you are the party expected to do everything rite.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Take a look again on regs 29 CFR and 49 CFR.
Hope this helps.

New Environment Inc. - HAZWOPER/HAZMAT Train The Trainer Program

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure if it ok to post the above link as an answer. It might be considered as an advertisement. Turtle, clarification please. Thanks!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure if it ok to post the above link as an answer. It might be considered as an advertisement. Turtle, clarification please. Thanks!
Not a problem. "It is acceptable for members to mention services or product as long as the information is germane to the topic and is not a blatant advertisement."

That link applies to Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) and is an OSHA workplace regulation. The FMCSA does not require specific certifications for trainers to be able to present training in HAZMAT or any other thing. They don't yet even require certification for driver trainers (see mills, CDL). You do have to be certified to collect pee from someone, though.

Reactions: Mailer

Roger @ Lion Technology

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
DOT's training standard does not impose any specific requirements for qualification of trainers. DOT does not "approve," "certify," or otherwise accredit hazardous materials transportation trainers or training programs.

For the full hazmat employee training requirements, see 49 CFR 172.704.

Best,
Roger