traded in my 2014 diesel for a 2018 gas

Discussion in 'Truck Talk' started by Charity's Van, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Charity's Van
    Lucky

Charity's Van Active Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Vehicle:
    Promaster 3500 159" high roof
    Last week my 2014 promaster diesel hit 200k miles. I had lots of problem with it from 58k miles til 126k miles when fca finally replaced the transmission with a brand new one under warranty. I had axle and ball joint issues soon after that. It was about a $4k repair. i had many miles of trouble free driving after that. When the weather turned cold, the van jumped out of gear, again. I went several thousand miles with out an incident, then it got cold again, dang. it jumped out of gear again. I decided no more. I traded for a 2018 3500 extended with a gas motor. If a diesel had been available i would have gone that route. I loved the great mpg of the diesel. I do like the extra room of the extended. I have seen many other with over 300k miles on these gas vans. Any one offer any dos or donts. This is my 1st gas vehicle in many many years

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BigStickJr

BigStickJr Veteran Expediter Retired Expediter

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 15 / -1
    Yes.
    Don't space out and accidentally put diesel in it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • bikerpaul

bikerpaul Expert Expediter

Ratings:
      +6 / 0 / -0
      We have 2016 gassers at Yark Auto. ALL OF THEM HAD THE FLY WHEELS BREAK AT ABOUT 80,000 TO 85,000 MILES. Good luck with yours. They were fixed under warranty.

• BlindSquid
      Crappy

BlindSquid Active Expediter Owner/Operator US Army

Ratings:
      +128 / 1 / -0
      Carrier:
      FedEx cc
      Vehicle:
      Transit 350
      Yep I get this, traded my sprinter in for a transit gas. With the sprinter it was always something..... every 2 months. Figured out the repairs for 15 & 16 I could have bought the transit cash with money to spare.
      I've heard for years "500,000 miles" then trade. That might have worked with old Chevy & Ford vans.
      This new stuff ain't that tuff.
      My current thought is pay it of as quick as possible & get ready to bail.

• Like Like x 1
    • BigStickJr

BigStickJr Veteran Expediter Retired Expediter

Ratings:
      +2,367 / 15 / -1
      How’s it been working out for you ?

• Happy Happy x 1
    • schwanman

schwanman Expert Expediter

Ratings:
      +201 / 0 / -0
      Welcome to the other side. Wishing better luck and happy holiday!

• Charity's Van
      Lucky

Ratings:
      +108 / 0 / -0
      Vehicle:
      well as of now i have 16,800 miles on the gas van. i really miss the fuel mileage of the diesel with its 550 mile plus range. I had the pleasure of some snow and ice in nevada and utah this week; and a major snow storm in tulsa ok saturday morning. this van handled it ok. I do feel the diesel was more sure footed on the slick stuff due to its slower reving and lower redline. I still have these nexen tires that came with the van. I liked the firestone transforce ht i had on other van better. the 9k oil change interval seems so soon as the diesel was about 19k before light came on.
      the diesel averaged 24.3 mpg over the 200k with a cost per mile in fuel at about 9 cents; so far this one is 17.3 mpg and cost .135 cents per mile in fuel. I like the little extra length of the extended and it feels as though the seats sit back slightly farther giving more leg room. I have let owners of older promaster sit in mine and they agree there is more set back and leg room. I try to use Chevron or other top tier fuel. I do notice a differance in handling/buffering as this van does not yet have air tabs installed. there is a long wish list of items i would like to install when funds allow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Charity's Van
      Lucky

Ratings:
      +108 / 0 / -0
      Vehicle:
      • Like Like x 1