Tractor To Straight truck Conversion

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I am researching converting a tractor to a class 8 straight truck and I am wondering how big a box can be used before the tractor frame needs to be stretched. Anybody here done this and if so what is an approximate price range for doing it?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Speak with the folks at FYDA Freightliner in Columbus, they have done many of them ..... pick their brains?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I did it for $7000 a few years back.
Added a 20' box.
Got the box way below market for $3500.
I was fortunate that the tractor was very long and we did not need to stretch it.
A stretch job. goes $3-7000. Depends upon length and shop used.
Pretty simple. Pull fifth wheel and hoses, stretch to proper length/wb, install box.
Measure bumper to back of cab, add 6". Take 40', minus this number, and you have box size.
Install of box was $1000.
Price of box plus stretch plus $2000 should do it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
W/O A STRETCH How big a box is practical would depend upon space behind cab to center of axle(s).

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LRE, do you have a specific tractor in mind? 3 axle? After the conversion will the straight truck need a sleeper? You may have a difficult time finding a tractor with a long enough wheelbase to convert to a straight that will handle a 20-24 foot box while retaining the sleeper.

A stretch could involve relocating the drive axle(s) which means a new drive shaft(s) hangers, etc. There has been several posts over the years on this subject and I recall some named specific shops with experience doing stretches. Try an advanced search using keywords like "stretch", "frame" or "stretched frame". Happy hunting!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Load 1 and a few owners had several done this past year. John named the shop in some thread recently.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
I have 3 stretches. 1 bought already done and the second was stretched using my specs. The cost will vary based many factors. The biggest factors are how much steel you need to add and the second being the box itself.

We used a company in Michigan called TruckTech. We added 14ft of frame and then double framed from the sleeper to the rear bumper. I had the axles placed in the center of the box so I would never have to worry about steer axle weight and we were able to use some factory holes to make axke alignment a breeze.

Installed a US truck body 24ft box with some custom extras all for about 22K. The size of the box you get will depend on the tractor you get. Remember the 40ft overall length law in some states.

Here they are completed.1371737532096.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app