Touring a 80 year old factory making model T's

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for posting the link.

I understand Ford may release the color film of the Rouge in 1930, that is a cool film to see. It details a lot of his "green" projects and actually follows the production of a model A with details. It is all color and when I saw it in '93, it was really sharp large format film. There is also a color film for the Dagenham and the Cologne plants which I hope they release soon - both from the early or mid 30's and both include the custom coach work group where they hand built cars.

Model T Tough?

That's funny.

Try driving one and see how tough they were. If you have driven one, then you will agree with me it is not an easy car to drive. And you may have to repair a lot of flats. Most of the time people drove slow, not far and most of the cars of that time never saw anything over 40,000 miles in their life, a lot were traded in at 15k.

The crank went out in 1919, ever try to crank one that is stone cold - it is not easy to start.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My Grandfather who was born in 1922, said that flat tires occured almost everytime they drove anywhere. They were a fact of life. Most people of the time knew how to fix the tires and also most other things on the car. Remember even in the 70's most cars need valve jobs around 25K and constant adjusting of the timing. We complain about our cars today, but most cars require no maintenance, except for oil changes for at least 100k. Think about it!!!!
Some people now, don't even know how to change a tire, and most don't know about a thing under the hood.
I think basic car care ie changing a tire, checking oil, refilling other fluids changing a tail lamp, head lamp, wiper blades should be a required course for everyone in high school. Actually, it should be the parents job, how many girls and guys for that matter don't know a thing about their cars.
While I am up on my soapbox :rolleyes: I think all high schoolers need a personal finance course. :cool:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Yep, learning how to change tires, flats, oil is good. My Dad owned a Western Auto Store when I was a lot lot younger and I learned alot there about basics for cars. Guess very few people remember Western Auto Stores, things were simple then, o the days of tuneup kits, points, plugs, rotor button , condenser might of been 8 bucks, ok enough.......sky

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering, how many of you ever owned a car from the 20's or 30's?

I don't mean a hotrod with a Chev engine wedged into it but an original car.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering, how many of you ever owned a car from the 20's or 30's?

I don't mean a hotrod with a Chev engine wedged into it but an original car.

Sorry, I am not rich so no, I have not owned a car that old.
My Parents owned a 1949 International pickup and a 75 Ford Grand Torino Squire station wagon(yes it had the wood)
Oldest car I have personally owned was a 65 Ford Galaxie 500
I do know that cars that old didn't have standardized controls like we have now, ie gas pedal on the right brake on the left etc etc

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rich?
H*ll you don't have to be rich.

Get a Ford Model A, you can still find them cheap and restore it. It is a lot of fun to drive and pretty modern. The Model T is a step down but if you have good eye, hand and feet coordination, it is fun to drive.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Rich?
H*ll you don't have to be rich.

Get a Ford Model A, you can still find them cheap and restore it. It is a lot of fun to drive and pretty modern. The Model T is a step down but if you have good eye, hand and feet coordination, it is fun to drive.

I have two VW Beetles a '69 and a '70 both were designed in the forties, that's as close as I can get to the 20's and 30's :D