Top 10 Best Expedite company's. ☚

BillyBob

Seasoned Expediter
Okay this is been tried before, BUT this time lets try and be a little more professional. It seems every company out here has it's fault's but all boiled down, there's got to be company's that are really better than other's.
Yes weve been told to go to an Expediters event, which is good sound advice, but we need a heads up on how to deal with these company gurus who just want to throw you in a seat.
Folks lets be Honest with as little B>S thrown around this time. I for one will be attending in September and I want to be a prepaired as possible.
Lets do our Best to help out and Thank You in advance.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Top 10 Best Expedite company's.

I 'll get the popcorn ready.....:D

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Okay this is been tried before, BUT this time lets try and be a little more professional. It seems every company out here has it's fault's but all boiled down, there's got to be company's that are really better than other's.

There is a company that really is better than others. TeamCaffee named that company in a recent thread: What is the best carrier is the one where you fit and can make the most money. If you are with the best or the worst and you are miserable then who cares how much the carrier makes?

The bottom line to me is where do you fit to run the way you like with the best income for you. Each person needs to do their own research and find where they fit.

How was that for a professional answer? I consider myself a professional and I quoted a professional expediting team. I don't think you will find a better answer than what I quoted from Team Caffee.

Yes weve been told to go to an Expediters event, which is good sound advice, but we need a heads up on how to deal with these company gurus who just want to throw you in a seat.
Folks lets be Honest with as little B>S thrown around this time. I for one will be attending in September and I want to be a prepaired as possible.
First you want a professional answer. I gave you professional. Now you want honesty, okay. Why not rephrase your question and ask "What is the best expedite company for me". You will have to tell us about yourself so we can answer. Do you have any experience driving professionally? What expedite vehicle will you be driving? Are you looking to run team or solo. Do you like long walks and to cuddle? The more personal information you share here, the better the odds are that someone can suggest the best expedite carrier for you.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

In a lot of ways it really does come down to a personal preference thing, depending on what kind of vehicle you have. If we get calls from cargo van folks, I tell them I'd have a hard time keeping them busy and they would be better off going with a larger carrier that has more direct customers. On the other hand, we can keep straights fairly busy and some people like the personal touch from a smaller carrier.

If I tried to sit here and tell you that we're better than so and so, that would be kind of ridiculous. There are things we do better and things that other companies do better. That's just the nature of this business. Every company has its strong points. You really have to look at what your priorities are as a driver and find a company that fits you the best.

BillyBob

Seasoned Expediter

1-st Thank You for the honest answers. I have followed this form off and on for quite a few years, have not really participated in much of it in any way, just mainly reading. I'm in my mid 50's and just had shoulder replacement therapy. I stopped driving in 2010, my last driving job was with FedEx Freight pulling doubles, running Mi to Dayton OH. 5 nights a week.
I'm hoping to get back to driving if my shoulder heals properly. I don't want to go back over the road, I'd like to be able to be home most nights and most weekends. I'd prefer if possible to drive mainly daytime. The wife and I are helping to raise our grand kid's, staying close to home would be beneficial.
I will be attending the expediters conference this September in Monroe Mi. I will say that I drive alone, tried the team thing in my younger days, not for me. I do posses a FAST Card for the border.
so in essence I don't know what company would fit my needs and at my age I'm not sure if I want to purchase a truck, so now you all know a little bit about me.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't want to go back over the road, I'd like to be able to be home most nights and most weekends. I'd prefer if possible to drive mainly daytime.

That's going to be very tough to find in expediting. Very, very tough...

mrgoodtude

Not a Member

1-st Thank You for the honest answers. I have followed this form off and on for quite a few years, have not really participated in much of it in any way, just mainly reading. I'm in my mid 50's and just had shoulder replacement therapy. I stopped driving in 2010, my last driving job was with FedEx Freight pulling doubles, running Mi to Dayton OH. 5 nights a week.
I'm hoping to get back to driving if my shoulder heals properly. I don't want to go back over the road, I'd like to be able to be home most nights and most weekends. I'd prefer if possible to drive mainly daytime. The wife and I are helping to raise our grand kid's, staying close to home would be beneficial.
I will be attending the expediters conference this September in Monroe Mi. I will say that I drive alone, tried the team thing in my younger days, not for me. I do posses a FAST Card for the border.
so in essence I don't know what company would fit my needs and at my age I'm not sure if I want to purchase a truck, so now you all know a little bit about me.

Air Freight? Daily P&D? A few options in your area, granted you won't make the same $$ as you did with Freight, (especially if you were a bid driver) but I doubt you would in Expedite either. Good luck

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

1-st Thank You for the honest answers.
You're welcome! You have used the word "honest" twice in this thread, but never mentioned to what degree of honesty you were seeking from us. Let's do a 1 -10 honesty scale. 1 will be polite honesty. 10 will be brutal honesty. I will try and answer some of your concerns with a 5-7 on the honesty meter but only because I'm trying to maintain my E.O. image as a nice guy. Also, after reading this latest post from you I am beginning to wonder if you are serious or just trying to jerk some chains. For now I will give you the benefit of the doubt and give myself a 6 on the nice guy scale.

I have followed this form off and on for quite a few years,
How honest are you being now, on scale of 1-10?

I'm in my mid 50's and just had shoulder replacement therapy. I stopped driving in 2010, my last driving job was with FedEx Freight pulling doubles, running Mi to Dayton OH. 5 nights a week.
Did you blow your shoulder out on the job, moving a dolly?

I'm hoping to get back to driving if my shoulder heals properly. I don't want to go back over the road, I'd like to be able to be home most nights and most weekends. I'd prefer if possible to drive mainly daytime.

This is where I seriously begin to doubt if you really have read anything on E.O. pertaining to what expediting is about and comprehended it. Also, whether you are for real or a chain jerker. Oho, I could be losing some nice guy points with this statement.

Your age isn't the problem. Probably no fleet owner would accept you based on your needs. Most expedite is OTR and I personally would estimate that 70% of my driving is done after sundown. Of course that varies with the time of year. Since late June it seems I have been doing more driving in the dark. About mid December the percentage of driving in the dark seems to increase. This phenomenon has been occurring my entire expedite career so it probably isn't just coincidental. Oops! I may have just lost some good guy points.

If you are serious about expediting and want to be home often you may have to buy your own truck/van. Your location couple with a FAST card and your willingness to run Canada my open some doors for you. Call all the companies that are listed on E.O. and ask if they need someone to run local and or cross-border loads only. If you find the right company, this could be a gold mine for you. Not the mother lode, but certainly profitable.

Okay, that was my take on your situation. I tried to keep the honesty in the below 10 range. I will leave the brutal honesty to the Colonel because some of what he says you will certainly have deserved. Ooops. There goes some more good guy points.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I don't want to go back over the road, I'd like to be able to be home most nights and most weekends. I'd prefer if possible to drive mainly daytime.

That's going to be very tough to find in expediting. Very, very tough...
With that said, There are a few of us out and back guys doing quite well, thank you very much.

BillyBob

Seasoned Expediter

Appreciate all the comeback (guy point's) LOL Like I said ive been here over the years off & on, not participated in conversation much. I'm going to the Expediters open house in Monroe Mi. this Sept, gonna listen a lot and try and and some questions. I know that expediting takes you from home but I got grandkids to help take care of as well.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Appreciate all the comeback (guy point's) LOL Like I said ive been here over the years off & on, not participated in conversation much. I'm going to the Expediters open house in Monroe Mi. this Sept, gonna listen a lot and try and and some questions. I know that expediting takes you from home but I got grandkids to help take care of as well.

You may as well save your gas, maybe. WHEN there are clouds hanging over what you choose to do (grandkids), or manyother clouds i've read about here then you may as well stay on the porch. There are certain amounts of sacrifice and dedication needed for MOST non employee jobs. Mostly i'm thinking about you being in bfe and YOUR dispatch has been calling markers and looking under each rock for a load and find YOU a home run.......and you turn it down, because it is going in the wrong direction......for the grandkids. My .02 is you will not be doing yourself or anyone else a favor entering this business. YOUR PRIORITYS HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED FULLY.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Whatever the Colonel says, I am duty bound to argue the opposite. He expects no less, and even I know enough to not pizz of a Colonel, lol.
Seriously: go to the seminar, and explore the options of running local [Load 1 has drivers who do that], or just running loads to Canada, if you think deadheading back might be feasible. [It sure wasn't when I drove for Panther, but that's another story.] I don't know how much cross dock freight needs moved from the Detroit area across the border, but it's worth looking into, I'd think.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The best are the ones that are hiring, take a look on the back page of the Expedite Now Magazine and that will be your answer. The ones that have fast settlements, empty moves, all DH paid is a plus.

Reactions: 1 person

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter

billybob, you are in the best area in the country to do local work, it should not be very hard to find a local job in the detroit area, it just might not be in expedite, but you never know. good luck.

OhioLine

Rookie Expediter

I'll take a shot at this,
Hi everyone my name is Mike I live in Cleveland, Ohio. I am a Class A CDL Holder and work currently for a beer distributor, pulling a side loader trailer.
Working for the beer distributor is tolerable I guess, but it's not really where my heart is. 20 stops a day gets old after a while and the company I work for loves to add stuff on and when it gets busy they get trucks loaded out late and everything gets behind schedule and I'm fighting stairs with a two wheel dolly and while it's okay for now as it's home every night and off on weekends, it's hard work and back breaking and it was never meant to be a long term gig.

I was previously self employed owned a carpet cleaning business and kind of made it doing that, I was making enough money to pay my bills and all that stuff, but work was a tad sporadic and I liked being out on the road better. That being said I have no kids, no debt am not married and have a good amount of money saved up and by the end of the fiscal year which will be oh let just say May of 2015 I will certainly have enough bottles berried out back to afford a decent enough set up to get started, either, van, straight or semi. I really don't think I want to own my own semi truck, but I very well might be interested in owning a straight truck.

I like being out on the road, I'm not scared to take a straight truck anywhere, I drive semi trucks right now and I don't like taking those trucks places I have never been to before to much can go wrong at least to me a straight truck you can get in and out of places not that you can take those everywhere either, because you can't, but it's one less thing to go wrong in my opinion ha-ha! I would rather be lost in a straight truck then a semi truck, I'll tell you that right now ha-ha, of course I would rather not be lost at all ever ha-ha!

Usually though when I have go someplace in my job right now that I am unfamiliar with I look on google maps to see the lay of the land and where I can park the truck and all that jazz. I also have a truck GPS which helps as well. Most of my current driving right now is close quarters city driving and I'm getting pretty sick of it ha-ha! I understand that I'll have to go into big cities and things expediting that doesn't scare me I understand all that just fine, with my job it's every day go to this tight gas station or this tight parking lot and all that jazz. My job right now is all city, I'd like to get out of the city if only for a day ha-ha!

I worked for a courier company here in Cleveland for a little while and liked it a lot. I live at home so if I have to leave for a couple weeks at a time it's no big deal to me. I'm single and looking to make some money I don't mind driving at night or anything like that. What company would be a good fit for me and should I start with a van or straight truck? I'm pretty easy to get along with so I could team as well if someone wants to do that. Like I said going solo is fine as well, thanks for the time.

Mike

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Like you, I drove t/t first, so a s/t seems much easier to deal with, and it will increase the potential income for you, team or solo. You'd need to deal with logs, HOS, etc, but it's just another part of the work very quickly.
What I'd suggest is starting out as a team, to see how you feel about expediting. Whether you drive for or with a fleet owner, I wouldn't even think about buying a truck until you're sure that it's what you want to do. [And you have some idea of what kind of a truck you want, and which to avoid.]
Don't forget that expediting is not just driving: it's being self employed, running your own business - if you can't do that part well, you'll just drive yourself into a deep hole.
Go to the EO workshop [banner across the top of the page] in Monroe, Mi, on Sept 11. It's not very far from Cleveland, and it will be extremely educational [and free!]. You'll have the chance to talk to people who can advise you, and you'll get a much better idea of what you want to do. That's exactly what the workshops are all about, so go, and enjoy.