skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
26219102_1651537051552347_5926910370717906753_n.jpg

Were you there? 1969-1970

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Thank you for your service....i hear that so much these days and appreciate it now, but sure would have been nice to hear it even just once back in 1975 when I got off a plane at O'hare in full dress uniform and got nothing but dirty looks!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app
It was 20 years later that someone told me that--thank you for your service....

Reactions: jcochristoph

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I was back home by then. My time on a destroyer was during the blockade of Russian missiles and submarines going into Cuba. It was called Cuban Quarantine because term "blockade" might have been upsetting to somebody. Our navy intercepted four subs, hunted down three of them until they were forced to surface to recharge batteries. Fourth one was detected but headed out of the area to safer waters. Great feeling on our ship when that Russian sub finally broke the surface after a day and night of cat and mouse.

navy ship.JPG russian sub.JPG

Last edited:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
1969-70 were eventful years for me patrolling the coastal waters between the Cua Viet River and Quy Nhon harbor in the Coast Guard Cutters Point Orient and Point Arden. Our primary mission was being engaged in Operation Marketime which was designed to prevent the infiltration, from north to south, of people, munitions and goods.