To TroadGirl

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know, over on Joe Roman's Forum, every once in a while we would get someone like you posting about how they took EVERY load offered to them, regardless of revenue, deadhead, and layover area. Most of them didn't have the vaguest idea what their Cost Per Mile was, and were just basically "hoping for the best." They would post a couple of times, telling everyone to quit whining, just take the loads. Then we would never see them again -- at least, not under THAT screen name. Guess they finally figured out that the dispatchers had their number, as far as sloughing off the crumby loads and discounted freight, and they became the very people they so vehemently denounced, posting THEIR complaints and concerns.

As far as your references to 'Mississippi trailer trash,' quite frankly, i see no reason to demean ANYONE, nor "call names." Shame on you, TroadGirl. Most of the posters on this Forum have been in trucking for YEARS, and you could learn a thing or two from them -- we sure have! Alienating everyone certainly isn't the way to win friends around here, and believe me when i tell you, there WILL come a time that you will need them -- for advice, for information, and just plain old friendship.

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Ncountry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WendyyCal you're wrong

I've been hauling for 12 years and have talked to many and interacted with quite few on the net.
You view on Troadgirl is off base. She speaks the truth and has a flair for getting her words across. She calls them as she see's 'em. My experience on the road over these years shows me she and the educated otehr out there know the score. They will be the successful ones. they know what's right and tells it like it is.
My suggestion to the rest of you that are adverse to these opinions is: If you can't stand the heat get out of your truck and wash dishes.

elmerswabit

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: WendyyCal you're wrong

This is an open form, everyone is entitled to an opinion,your's may differ from mine,however I'd like to think that all ridicule or statements of fact are in fun/friendship.I can't except anyone as being in error or an idoit when their only fault is being in disaggrement with me.As for "Toadgirl" I support her statement fully on numerous issues;I don't think she implied or stated for anyone to take every load offered, nor did she blast the "jim bunting crew" unjustly.I have thirteen years in trucking and am qualified primarily on tractor trailers,plus with some mechical background.Which gives me some insite into the business community of trucking and presently own/operate an "D" unit with FEDEX custon critical.I use short paying loads to relocate,remember--you can't make money setting and team,team,team,money,money,money.....

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: WendyyCal you're wrong

I run for FED EX Custom Critical,I take discounted runs but I limit them,you need to balance between the company and yourself. Remember the dispatcher is only the messenger, they don't give the discounts.They are only trying to find a truck for a load. If you know your operating costs you will be able to mix discounted and full tarrif loads,and have a acceptable average.

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't get upset over it Wendy. She's just a suckass that will learn the hardway.

Troadgirl

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As bret and Wendy are having a hard time realizing
is this whole thing "IS A Business". Winning is the only conclusion to come to when you look at it. Also bret, for your information this "suck #####" has been very successful without ##### kissing.
And even if your could "suck #####", who would you do it to and when? your comments do not bare fruit. you put yourselves in the minority categories of all the others that want to be very successful, but just can't figure it out. It's the economy stupid. Being part of the economic solution means strategicly positioning yourself for success. Add value each and every day.

p.s. Ncountry, Elmer, Ace, goblue and the rest; thank you for your intelligent and useful comments.

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have never kissed anyones ##### where im leased too. I do very well considering the time I stay in service. I'm averageing 1.42 for ALL miles that the truck is driven.

Troadgirl

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hmmm, $1.42 a mile, all the time? Highly doubtful bret. It's time to put all the rubber to the pavement gang. Bet obviously suffers from WendyCal syndrome, (making money in their mind not in their pocket). Oncer again, as goBlue and others previously stated;...."it's the economy stupid"....;. By "scaling" the loads you take with those that seem good but really are not, you can trim the fat of micro-expenses and make very fine money.
Invest in your equipment and your health on the road; tjhis "job" then becomes an adventure. No more whiners allowed!

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Actually, TroadGirl, i've been in Expediting, and posting on this and Joe Roman's Forums, for the past year and a half. During that time, we've earned good money (best week, $7500), and we've teetered on the brink of bankruptcy. Then we got wise and signed on with a company that pays us 75%, guarantees us $1.25 / mile for ALL loaded miles, and runs us at least 2500 miles / week. Our Cost Per Mile has gone down, because we don't have to pay for an on-board computer, ComData charges, bogus workman's comp insurance, etc. We don't have to balance crumby loads against good loads anymore. If that's my 'Syndrome,' i'm sure glad i caught it! LOL

You, on the other hand, are making BIG bucks -- for your company...

goBlue

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WendyCal, please do tell of the great company you contract (work) for. I too, would be very interested in knowing where that kind of money is being made and how you manage to also come close to bankruptcy. (If it is managed so well.) I'm not trying to be sarcastic in my inquiry, however, your story sounds to good, and then tempered with the "bankruptcy" theme seems just a bit over the top. I truly am interested in knowing the name of the generous comapany that is emblazoned on the side of your truck.

goBlue

The Hound

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Goblue, if you read more closely, you will notice that Wendycal said they were on the verge of bankruptcy before they changed companies. Currently they seem to be with a company that not only pays well, but they are also quite content.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
GoBlue, The Hound is absolutely correct -- we started out with Roberts, but couldn't take the their micro-management style of our business; we switched to Panther II, and were horrified to find out they were holding $2550, along with three to four weeks of pay; we tried LandStar Express America, and that's where we just about went bankrupt.

The company we're with right now is C & M Transport, out of Mentor, OH, and is owned by a couple that used to be drivers, themselves. They only have about 42 vehicles (1 E Unit, a handful of vans, and the rest D Units), and they refuse to overhire, so there is quite a waiting list to get on with them. Look around, though -- there are a bunch of these smaller operations out there, and you, too, might be happier with a company where you've actually met EVERYONE you're working with!

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your absolutely right Wendy. The smaller companies are the way to go. Personally, I wouldnt post the great company your leased to, so every joe-blow ##### kissing know-it-all can sign up and ruin your pot of gold.

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thats right, 1.42 a mile for ALL miles in the last 6 months. I could care less if you or anyone else believes it or not. I have a list of 35 good brokers, which I regularly use to get back in the service area, and on the slow months. When a load comes up that put me out of a good area, I immediately start looking for backhaul. The lowest rate I've hualed expedited freight for is 1.45 a mile and the highest was 2.65. The lowest non-expediting load was 1.15 and the highest was 1.85. This is for an E-unit.