TMOBILE vs Verizon

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
Anyone have experience with both carriers coast to coast? Thinking of switching to TMobile to save some money. Thx.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had T-Mobile some years ago. Was not impressed in the slightest, and that was before I was out on the road.
From my experience, choose between Verizon and AT&T for the best phone service.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Agreed. In areas where T-mobile has good service, that's the way to go. But that's more for people who live and work in those areas. For national service, Verizon is best followed closely by AT&T. Sprint is getting better, but it has a long way to go nationally.

I have only used Verizon, so I don't meet the requirement of someone who has used both. So take my advice with the appropriate skepticism. However, I talk to a lot of people and read a lot, and I haven't heard or read anything to make me consider changing cell carriers.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I switched to Tmo a couple weeks ago from Verizon. So far...reasonably impressed. Some gaps in west Texas where Verizon was good (Abeline to Sonora) but from Sonora down to Del Rio Tmo is better than Verizon.(the Sprint based Quallcomm dies completely thru this whole stretch!)
I've been running my old phone (still has Verizon sim in it and recieves Verizon signal) and my Tmo phone side by side with my network signal app running in both...and so far I'm surprised how good Tmo is. The data speeds are also noticeably faster than Verizon.

Verizon's old CDMA voice network was always superior technology for reliability...but they are shutting it down in 2019 (it's gone in most of the world now)...at that point Verizon is going to rely on LTE for voice...and at that point I think it's going to really level it out.

Tmo also boight a whole bunch of 600mhz spectrum to start deploying soon...lower frequencies travel farther more reliably (Verizon's 700mhz stuff is awesome compared to their 1900 or 2100 frequencies) so that should help them fill in the gaps they have. Tmo is really expanding their network..fast...they had a lot of catching up to do. Somewhere on thier site they have a coverage map that shows growth year over year and also allows you to compare thier footprint vs the other national carriers (it showed the Texas gap honestly...and shows it as fully covered by Verizon)

Is Verizon better...sure....but not that much anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle and jhead64

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the last month that I drove, there was 3 times I had to borrow the shipping/receiving departments phone because my T-Mobile phone had no service. And it wasn't just because I was inside, had to drive miles before I had service.

The last trip I did, I had no service for half the trip.

If I was still driving I was going to switch back to Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had T-Mobile when I first started in 2004. LOTS of dead areas scattered around the country. I got Verizon a few months later and then only had lots of dead areas. After a while I got AT&T to go along with Verizon. It also had lots of dead areas but they were often not the same dead areas so between the two phones I only had some dead areas around the country, mostly out west.

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
AT&T or Verizon for over the road. We run our tracking Sylectus Mobile and those two keep up the best. What's scary is I have 1 driver using Net10 and he does better tmobile, boost, metropcs, and sprint.

Reactions: jcochristoph

Steven MIller

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
T-Mobile's overall coverage has improved exponentially over the last 12-18 month's which is encouraging going forward. If you add a tablet to the mix it helps as the tab will get service in spots the phone will not.

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Living in N/W South Dakota...when I retired and downgraded my Verizon plan..I considered a lesser carrier BUT I needed a carrier that had a signal most of the time....even AT&T and Verizon struggle out here..I need the most reliable signal just for emergency use...so I stuck with Verizon just for that reason...sometimes reliability and quality should precede cost just for peace of mind. IMO

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Living in N/W South Dakota...when I retired and downgraded my Verizon plan..I considered a lesser carrier BUT I needed a carrier that had a signal most of the time....even AT&T and Verizon struggle out here..I need the most reliable signal just for emergency use...so I stuck with Verizon just for that reason...sometimes reliability and quality should precede cost just for peace of mind. IMO
59fdb6089917d5607a5212a7eb510477.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
59fdb6089917d5607a5212a7eb510477.jpg
basically that what we do.....the local humour dictates if breaking down, make sure you are at the top of a hill or rise...not the bottom....to get a signal...:p

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

basically that what we do.....the local humour dictates if breaking down, make sure you are at the top of a hill or rise...not the bottom....to get a signal...:p

Special antenna's
41f4b947f54056ea7abe36f2fe01ef5f.jpg

hauling freight from a Pond near you