Tired of ground need something else.

Ryan M Forbes

New Recruit
Researching
Well I have been a commercial driver for many years I started my road life as a hotshot with contracts mostly medical and DOD, then moved to Houston and became a school bus driver and cdl trainer did that for almost 9 years. Met my wife there and when we became pregnant I jumped over to J B Hunt DCS moving and installing appliances and furniture for 2 years and now at FedEx ground been there over 5 years same start pay, salary 650 take home, no benefits, 55-80 hr wk average 85 stops, wall mart bulk 2 pallets I have to scan and pallet myself and out of that avg 85 stops 20% will be things like trampolines and pools or weight sets averaging between 70-150 lbs and with no benefits for health care I feel like they are just running us into the ground. So I'm thinking of getting on the road, my wife has been jabbing me for years to move to ID where shes from, I already talked to her about it and she accepts my plans I might try to go exp or go from my 15 years with a classB to a ClassA and maybe use C R England. Any ideas or thoughts?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you asked for a raise ?
With today’s market, a wise owner may cough up to keep someone that’s worked hard for five years.
If you leave Ground you may soon realize how much you enjoyed having weekends off. Being home daily. Houston weather. Running solo.
CR England may not be much of a raise.
You may not get home when you want. Doesn’t seem like a big deal. Until the first or second time it happens.
TT’s in ID aren’t fun about 6 months of the year.
Ever chain up ? It’ll be cold when you do.

I’m biased. I like Houston. I tried to become a route owner at Ground.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To address going Expediting. You’ll probably be an IC, responsible for your own taxes. Weekly guarantee of $0.00 and higher. Still no health care. But as one recently stated here you can be broke enough to receive government assistance.
And when you have three good weeks you go home for a week guaranteeing a $0.00 fourth week. So take 3 weeks pay and divide it by 4.

Reactions: RoadTime