Tire pressure gauges

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My tire gauge has given up the ghost. Are there any out there that are better than others? I looked at the Petro today, they want almost $26 for the heavier one. Looking for hints.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What ever gauge you get, see if you can check it against another gauge with known accuracy. Not all digital gauges are accurate.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I though you might need a good excuse to go in to Cabela's;)

Sorry, I don't do Cabela's, not since they "stuck it in my ear" when I worked there. I do Gander Mountain, REI and Bass Pro. I found some other places that sell that gauge, Thanks again.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our tire gauge was bought off the rack at a truck stop years ago using loyalty card points. Speedco provides free tire gauge accuracy checks which we have had done a couple of times. The gauge tested good each time.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Our tire gauge was bought off the rack at a truck stop years ago using loyalty card points. Speedco provides free tire gauge accuracy checks which we have had done a couple of times. The gauge tested good each time.

It was not an accuracy problem. The thing did not work at all. It would just let air out of the tire, and the "stick" did not extend. Got one at the truck stop. WAY too much money but I needed it that day. There would not have been a chance to air up the tires before today's run otherwise. There is no where around here to do that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There would not have been a chance to air up the tires before today's run otherwise. There is no where around here to do that.

Not wanting to run into that problem, we had a trailer shop install a glad hand connection on our truck and bought one of those tire hoses with a glad hand connector that you see sold at truck stops. I prefer using it to irritating the guys in line behind me at fuel islands while I use the truck stop air hose.

Semis have the ability to air up their own tires with such a hose. We got it too by having a glad hand connector installed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not wanting to run into that problem, we had a trailer shop install a glad hand connection on our truck and bought one of those tire hoses with a glad hand connector that you see sold at truck stops. I prefer using it to irritating the guys in line behind me at fuel islands while I use the truck stop air hose.

Semis have the ability to air up their own tires with such a hose. We got it too by having a glad hand connector installed.

That is something I need to look into. Far too many times I have needed to work in tires and could not find an air source with high enough pressure or enough room to get a truck in.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
That is something I need to look into. Far too many times I have needed to work in tires and could not find an air source with high enough pressure or enough room to get a truck in.

Most air tanks have an unused port that has a plug in it. Next time you find yourself laid over at Lowes or Home Depot just drain your air and pull out the plug. Take it in and buy a couple close nipples a ball valve and needed air fittings. I recomend using the male end on the tank and a female on each end of the hose. That way the spring collar isn't subject to the weather. Just remember to crack the ball valve to clear the male fitting before connecting the hose.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Ditto. I usually fuel @ Pilot, where there aren't air hoses. I check the pressure while fueling, then have to go elsewhere to add air, if needed - the gladhand connector would be nice. [Though I'd ask the truck owner to install it, as Slacktide lost me right after "drain the air", lol]
I've often wondered if any truck has the ability to monitor tire pressure AND maintain automatically at a preset level, using the air from the tanks - is that a workable idea, or a crazy one? :confused:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Ditto. I usually fuel @ Pilot, where there aren't air hoses. I check the pressure while fueling, then have to go elsewhere to add air, if needed - the gladhand connector would be nice. [Though I'd ask the truck owner to install it, as Slacktide lost me right after "drain the air", lol]
I've often wondered if any truck has the ability to monitor tire pressure AND maintain automatically at a preset level, using the air from the tanks - is that a workable idea, or a crazy one? :confused:

They do have a lot of the trailers running the auto air systems. If you haven't noticed before look at the wheels on a trailer and you will see 2 hoses coming out of the hub, I don't see why a system like that couldn't be put on a ST unless there is an issue with it being a drive axle.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They do have a lot of the trailers running the auto air systems. If you haven't noticed before look at the wheels on a trailer and you will see 2 hoses coming out of the hub, I don't see why a system like that couldn't be put on a ST unless there is an issue with it being a drive axle.

Dana has those axles in their catalogs but they are expensive - very expensive.