Time for a lifestyle change?

tgwaltney

Active Expediter
Researching
US Army
Hello everybody, wife and I have been researching expediting for more than two years. Recently returned to the US after six years in Korea and are seriously considering entering the expediting industry, driving a straight truck. Our current situation: I am 50 and she is 55 and we’ve been empty nesters for seven years. Am employed by the federal government, but am bored with job and both wife and myself are excited by our research into the expediting lifestyle.

Our current situation: mortgage on our home in Franklin, TN is $1,500 with other debts of $450 monthly (car+kitchen remodel). Once we begin expediting car payment will go away as we own a separate vehicle and remodel loan will be paid off within a year. Equity of $180K in home with other investment of several $100k. Also, have additional monthly income of $3k which will continue.

We’ve spent many hours researching trucking in general and expediting specifically via EO, youtube, the truckers report, Teamrunsmart, and TeamCaffee blog at onspot. We’ve neither made any posts nor asked questions before; however, as we’ve been stateside for two months and will attend the expediters expo in two weeks, thought now would be an ideal time to make an introduction.

Neither of us have a CDL at this time, although I did have a B license 20 years ago when working for US Air in Philadelphia and needed to drive a catering truck off premises.

Any thoughts, questions, feedback and/or comments are appreciated. We look forward to meeting many of you in two weeks and are excited to begin sharing our plans and learning from the members here.

Regards,
Tom Gwaltney

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to EO.

Good start by attending the Expo and putting in the research.
Will you be teaming? What do you plan on driving:Straight truck, Cargo van, Semi?

Good luck on your new venture.

Reactions: tgwaltney

tgwaltney

Active Expediter
Researching
US Army
Welcome to EO.

Good start by attending the Expo and putting in the research.
Will you be teaming? What do you plan on driving:Straight truck, Cargo van, Semi?

Good luck on your new venture.
RoadTime, here is what my original post was supposed to look like, but the EO filter blocked quite a bit:

We hope to team and looking at straight truck

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Good on you, Expediting is quite an intriguing lifestyle change. Welcome back stateside, and a huge Thank You! for your service! My wife and I will be at the Expo as well; it will be our 1st time back since attending in 2016.

Like you, we are researching and preparing for the change... After hitting a snag, that we should have been better prepared for, we have pushed our transition back another year or more...

Again, welcome, and hope to meet/see you at the Expo next week.

tgwaltney

Active Expediter
Researching
US Army
Good on you, Expediting is quite an intriguing lifestyle change. Welcome back stateside, and a huge Thank You! for your service! My wife and I will be at the Expo as well; it will be our 1st time back since attending in 2016.

Like you, we are researching and preparing for the change... After hitting a snag, that we should have been better prepared for, we have pushed our transition back another year or more...

Again, welcome, and hope to meet/see you at the Expo next week.
Thank you for the kind welcome and good luck on your move into expediting also. While I am a Vet, I was in Korea this time as a civilian. Hopefully, we'll get an opportunity to meet next weekend.

Reactions: TeamPaul

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Welcome. My wife and I are entering the final stretch of a long journey ito begin the expediting lifestyle. It's great to hear that you will be attending the Expo next week. There is so much information that you will be able to gather there and you will enjoy seeing the equipment that is on display. We will be there as well, really looking forward to it.

Regards,

Mike

tgwaltney

Active Expediter
Researching
US Army
Welcome. My wife and I are entering the final stretch of a long journey ito begin the expediting lifestyle. It's great to hear that you will be attending the Expo next week. There is so much information that you will be able to gather there and you will enjoy seeing the equipment that is on display. We will be there as well, really looking forward to it.

Regards,

Mike
Thanks for the welcome Mike. I'm already subscribed to your Utube channel, and have watched several videos. I'll PM you with my contact info as I'd love to touch base and pick your brain about your journey.

Best,
Tom

Reactions: TeamPaul