Ticked off!!!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This past Monday I took my truck into the shop for required maintenance on my reefer. It passed all tests. PM was done, new belts etc. Everything was HUNKY DOREY.

I JUST now went out to start it, getting ready to leave for a pick up. It does not start. NOTHING! NO lights, NOTHING!!

No shops open till 8AM, I get to lose a VERY good paying load.

This is really starting to suck. I stopped going to one shop in the area because of shoddy work, now this at shop #2

I feel bad, I let my carrier down, but this is not my fault. Needless to say I would NOT want to be that service manager at that shop when I show up. :mad:

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had the same problem last week. Ended up being the chassis ground stud had rusted through. Looked like if was in good shape, until the road service guy pulled on it.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Nothing I can see. It starts off the truck batteries. They are fine. The truck started. Who knows what it is. Have a call into the 24 hour line. Waiting on a call back. THIS SUCKS!

I thought you were saying truck wouldn't start...just reefer won't start? That does suck!!
Spongebox is asking me a ton of questions, he's done truck maintenance. He just needs to ask himself...I'm not really all that mechanically inclined! :p

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had the same problem last week. Ended up being the chassis ground stud had rusted through. Looked like if was in good shape, until the road service guy pulled on it.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Talked to the shop dude. They are not open till 0800. I will be there waiting for them to open. 6 hours to get madder.

It would be one thing if it just happened but it was in the shop all day Monday for work to avoid these problems. It passed every test, or so they say. It was working when I went in. Time will tell. These shops SHOULD be required to cover all losses when they mess up. YEAH RIGHT, like that is ever going to happen. :mad:

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Probably too late now, but we had the same thing (or similar) happen on the KW we were in. Turn the power switch on the TCU control in the cab and nothing. No lights or unit doesn't respond?

Turns out there was a wire that ran from the unit to the control panel in the cab. This would wear against the frame of the unit (was ran in a stupid place in the first place on the belly mount Carrier unit.) and cause a short. This would blow a 5amp fuse on the motherboard of the unit. (The motherboard can be accessed through the panel on the right side end of the unit.).

We finally got a shop to properly run the wire and use some of that plastic tube conduit to keep it from rubbing and wearing against the frame.

Don't know if this is the problem, but might be a good place to start looking. Sorry about losing the load, that sucks. :(

Sent from my Tablet of Clay using EO Forums.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
L.O, u and I are close to the same age, just sell all ur stuff and go fish'n and hunt'n, the things you like to do and forget all the expedite junk. Life is short, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to short. IMHO

Monty

Expert Expediter
I'm not sure what that age is ..... but I did! No more schedules for me ...... matter of fact, this week I am in Myrtle Beach enjoying some time at the resorts down here.

But ..... that does not mean I don't miss the grind. I had "pre planned" to work unti 70, but my wife seemed to think getting out a few years sooner was the way to go. It get's easier to agree with her each and everyday!

But, back to the original post, if it was working when it went in, then one might assume something they did caused the failure ...... will be interesting to see results.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I took it in this morning. It took them less than a minute to "fix" the "problem". Some tech had left a switch off in the microprosessor. That was it. A VERY GOOD paying load, down the tubes. Time out of service etc. Still waiting to hear from FDCC as to how this service failure will be handled. The shop has assured them it was NOT an equipment failure, BUT, until I get the final say, well, time will tell.

I surely wish I had other options for an income. I am tired of dealing with incompetent shops, regulations and all other forms of stupidity. I don't like losing money for any reason but at least if it is due to MY mistakes, I can accept it. If this was an isolated thing, I could accept it. It is not. It has become the norm.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If this was an isolated thing, I could accept it. It is not. It has become the norm.
Since it has become the norm then you should be double checking their work before you pay and leave their property. Having fired up the reefer yesterday before leaving could have saved you from losing this load today. Even with something as simple as an oil change, wait and check for proper oil level before you leave. Some things you have to trust that it was done right, others double check.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep. Looks that way. It is a shame that one cannot trust a shop that sends in certified paper work claiming all is well. There is just SO much about this business that sucks. It is going to reach a point when the part that sucks becomes greater than the parts that don't. I doubt if I will EVER get used to dealing with incompetent people.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the shop did the work and ran tests, did the tech shut the switch off as the last thing done ?
Sounds like a shop to avoid.
Only two PM's required per year on unit. I WILL be sure to get to Carrier, Frt Wayne,twice per year. A shop I know and trust.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the shop did the work and ran tests, did the tech shut the switch off as the last thing done ?
Sounds like a shop to avoid.
Only two PM's required per year on unit. I WILL be sure to get to Carrier, Frt Wayne,twice per year. A shop I know and trust.

I have NO idea how, or why, that switch was shut off. That makes BOTH shops in this area that I cannot trust. Two out of two. I don't know about Ft. Wayne. Only been there once for something minor that did not require any real work.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
stop payment for the services they did and wait for them to contact you, then negotiate since some tech turned off the switch and you have proof they say it ran and proof you took it back today and what was found and what they did to fix it. or i hope you made them document in writing what was wrong today and what they did to fix it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
stop payment for the services they did and wait for them to contact you, then negotiate since some tech turned off the switch and you have proof they say it ran and proof you took it back today and what was found and what they did to fix it. or i hope you made them document in writing what was wrong today and what they did to fix it.

They emailed everything to FDCC and we have copies.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Layout doesn't have much of a case to stop payment.
If the shop is reasonable they may negotiate a settlement.
If it gets nasty the shop can counter that Layout wasn't up to doing the load for whatever reason, and flipped the switch himself, and is using the shop as a scapegoat.
I know Layout wouldn't do that. His history with Fedex shows he wouldn't do it.
There are drivers that would attempt it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The shop fixed it. That is all they can do. The shop manager was not happy with the tech. The tech seemed not to care about the problems he caused.

The shop took care of all of the issues with FDCC right away and there were no long term problems as far as that goes.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well, what you needs to do, is get back to the shop give that thech. your best pair of hunting boots, your 'arctic expedition rated' coat, and your winter gloves. lock him in the reefer box and freeze him up. go back to your warm cab, and every 15 minutes or so yell at him "is it working now?"
he will probably continue to make stupid mistakes, but at least you will feel better, or at least well enough to make it another week or so.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm feelin' your pain on this. I just had a wheel bearing go bad and the mechanic put the hub back on too loose. Less than 200 miles I was back in with the bearings trashed again. I didn't loose the load as it had a ton of time, being over Thanksgiving, but very frustrating none the less.