Thug

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
After this Richard Sherman thing, where people called him 'thug' or worse, I read an article where someone said white people are using the word as to take the place of the n-word (I really hate using that term, but I'm trying to keep it clean here).

I've been using thug for probably 7 years or so, to describe gang-looking blacks who appear to be up to no good. IOW, those who threaten law-abiding folk with music, dress, mannerisms, speech, volume, attitude etc; and more often than not, a multiple of that list.

FYI, I also have a word I use for whites... thugs. I also use trash, scum, punk, and other words that fit at the time. People used to call people I described (not race-focused) troublemakers, or 'no good.'

But let's look at 'thug' at face value. The definition is a ruffian or hoodlum. Blacks use it to describe someone who's had a hard life, who will get what he wants by any means possible. Yeah, that sounds like a ruffian or hoodlum... ie, up to no good.

Now do you think that is taking place of the n-word? Is it a racist word, even after black youth end up defining it themselves? Will this mean that only blacks can call blacks thugs, just like the n-word? Will they feign being offended if a white guy calls them that? Is it something that only black youth can understand?

Are not the knockout punks thugs? What about the bored kids who shot a guy in the back? Are we supposed to treat this garbage with kid gloves, to the point that we are the bad guys if we use that word? To be honest, the media has really overused that word this week, in the Richard Sherman drama. They are going to burn it out for the rest of us, which they do a lot. Thug is not a word that is used lightly by me. It means something that is either vile, or has the potential to be vile. They've already *******ized the word, almost to the point where it's going to be stricken from our vocabularies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Richard Sherman is the one who equated "thug" to being a racist term. He did that to get people to quit calling him a thug.

"I'm the best corner in the game," he yelled in comments that quickly ignited a national conversation. "When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me."

Asked by Fox who was talking about him, Sherman replied: "Crabtree. Don't you open your mouth about the best, or I'm going to shut it for you real quick."

He needs a good spanking.

That'll come on Sunday. :D

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Richard Sherman is the one who equated "thug" to being a racist term. He did that to get people to quit calling him a thug.

"I'm the best corner in the game," he yelled in comments that quickly ignited a national conversation. "When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me."

Asked by Fox who was talking about him, Sherman replied: "Crabtree. Don't you open your mouth about the best, or I'm going to shut it for you real quick."

He needs a good spanking.

That'll come on Sunday. :D

In that case, Sherman was in the wrong. He was, and is, a trash talker, not unlike Ali. He is also one who puts up. It's amazing that a cornerback can have the fewest amounts of balls thrown his way, yet makes the most interceptions in the league. His interception percentage is ungodly at around 40%. So yes, statistically he's the best. He's also a big mouth at times. And I doubt very much Manning will be throwing to his side of the field, unless he wants to test him, like Brady did last year... and lost. :)

Going back to Sherman making it a race issue... I don't know if it was before or after he read his twitter, when he made the interview stating that. A lot of people were using thug and n in the same context in the responses. That might be where he got it. Still, he didn't need to open that can of worms, as it will surely be stricken from our lexicon as a racially 'bad word'. Can't they just leave my verbage alone? Excuse me while I gets me some grape drank. ;)

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
In that case, Sherman was in the wrong. He was, and is, a trash talker, not unlike Ali. He is also one who puts up. It's amazing that a cornerback can have the fewest amounts of balls thrown his way, yet makes the most interceptions in the league. His interception percentage is ungodly at around 40%. So yes, statistically he's the best. He's also a big mouth at times. And I doubt very much Manning will be throwing to his side of the field, unless he wants to test him, like Brady did last year... and lost. :)

Going back to Sherman making it a race issue... I don't know if it was before or after he read his twitter, when he made the interview stating that. A lot of people were using thug and n in the same context in the responses. That might be where he got it. Still, he didn't need to open that can of worms, as it will surely be stricken from our lexicon as a racially 'bad word'. Can't they just leave my verbage alone? Excuse me while I gets me some grape drank. ;)

I don't think Sherman was in the wrong at all, trash talking is part of the game. The reason Sherman was so upset was that he went over to Crabtree and said Hell of a game twice which is typical to kind of tell your opponent they put up a good fight, Crabtree then pushed Sherman. The audio and video is available so we don't have to take Sherman's word for it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I can understand Sherman's reaction.
It would have been classier just to leave Crabtree alone.
If Crabtree had caught the ball and told Sherman "nice game"
What would have been Sherman's response ?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't think Sherman was in the wrong at all, trash talking is part of the game. The reason Sherman was so upset was that he went over to Crabtree and said Hell of a game twice which is typical to kind of tell your opponent they put up a good fight, Crabtree then pushed Sherman. The audio and video is available so we don't have to take Sherman's word for it.

I didn't mean that Sherman going over the top, WWE style, was wrong. But him bringing out 'thug', and making it the racist word of the day.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The two of them have a history. That was not a hey buddy good game it was a I'm going to go rub it in good game. While the rest of his teammates were celebrating together Sherman ran off to chase down crabtree because he is about himself not the team.the whole thing was pretty classless.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In our "post racial" transparent administration anything one says about anyone other than caucasian men is racist regardless of the race of the speaker or the person spoken of.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The two of them have a history. That was not a hey buddy good game it was a I'm going to go rub it in good game. While the rest of his teammates were celebrating together Sherman ran off to chase down crabtree because he is about himself not the team.the whole thing was pretty classless.

Love him or hate him, that action is about to pay off in endorsements. He's an entertainer. Not that I'm trying to defend him, but I've given up on entertainers being role models due to their entertaining abilities. OTOH, Russell Wilson is a great role model, just in his work ethic alone. But also, the guy is a gentleman. Can't say enough about him. Richard? I tolerate his loud mouth because of what he brings to the team. He is the Hulk Hogan or Randy Savage of the NFL. Your pick.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What some call "entertaining" abilities, IE: poor sportsmanship etc, are some of the biggest reasons I don't pay nearly has much attention to sports as I used too. The "fact" that many fans "enjoy" the low life, loud mouth, "STUFF" these days does not say much for them either. Those who enjoy "classless Stuff" likely lack class themselves.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What some call "entertaining" abilities, IE: poor sportsmanship etc, are some of the biggest reasons I don't pay nearly has much attention to sports as I used too. The "fact" that many fans "enjoy" the low life, loud mouth, "STUFF" these days does not say much for them either. Those who enjoy "classless Stuff" likely lack class themselves.

So that's not your bag, dad. That's cool. By entertaining abilities, I meant their ability to catch, run, block, etc... not their character flaws. But I understand... you just dont' have the capability to turn off one, so you can enjoy the other. ;)

All kidding aside, I do understand. I've been grasping at letting go sports in general, due to it not being conducive to life. We've been warned about bread and circuses, and lately the circuses don't hold a ton of weight for me, even tho this is the first year I've seen every Seahawk game. In the end, it's just candy, as is all of tv.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So that's not your bag, dad. That's cool. By entertaining abilities, I meant their ability to catch, run, block, etc... not their character flaws. But I understand... you just dont' have the capability to turn off one, so you can enjoy the other. ;)

All kidding aside, I do understand. I've been grasping at letting go sports in general, due to it not being conducive to life. We've been warned about bread and circuses, and lately the circuses don't hold a ton of weight for me, even tho this is the first year I've seen every Seahawk game. In the end, it's just candy, as is all of tv.

Nope, it's hard to get past the crap. Can't stand the OOOGA BOOGA dancing every play. It makes them look like spastic fools. I USED to enjoy the talent, but lately the "stuff" is what is center stage.

As to the Seahawks, I am just hoping they are not wearing the really ugly, perverted Smurf uniforms and leave that "Professional Butt Head" in Seattle as well. I also am SO glad there is a "Mute" button on most TV's so I don't have to listen to that half time show. Those "Shows", in general not just this one, kinda just suck. Interferes with the game too much.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Nope, it's hard to get past the crap. Can't stand the OOOGA BOOGA dancing every play. It makes them look like spastic fools. I USED to enjoy the talent, but lately the "stuff" is what is center stage.

As to the Seahawks, I am just hoping they are not wearing the really ugly, perverted Smurf uniforms and leave that "Professional Butt Head" in Seattle as well. I also am SO glad there is a "Mute" button on most TV's so I don't have to listen to that half time show. Those "Shows", in general not just this one, kinda just suck. Interferes with the game too much.

It's hard to have a conversation with a brick. :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's hard to have a conversation with a brick. :rolleyes:

Having different tastes and/or opinions does not make one a brick. It makes one a different individual with different likes and dislikes. :cool: Your views/ideas/likes/dislikes are valid for you, that does not make them valid for all. All individuals choose what forms of entertainment that appeals to them. There are many that are "crowd followers", there are many that do not. I choose not to follow the crowd. Just because it is "popular" means nothing.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Having different tastes and/or opinions does not make one a brick. It makes one a different individual with different likes and dislikes. :cool: Your views/ideas/likes/dislikes are valid for you, that does not make them valid for all. All individuals choose what forms of entertainment that appeals to them. There are many that are "crowd followers", there are many that do not. I choose not to follow the crowd. Just because it is "popular" means nothing.

Has nothing to do with differing tastes. It has to do with your ability to hold a conversation. We're talking about one thing, then you throw something totally unrelated into the mix, and it totally deflates any desire I've had to continue this conversation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has nothing to do with differing tastes. It has to do with your ability to hold a conversation. We're talking about one thing, then you throw something totally unrelated into the mix, and it totally deflates any desire I've had to continue this conversation.

I guess I am lost. Thugs, oooga boooga, stupid uniforms and dumb half time show are all the same to me. All symptoms of the same disease.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

As usual Los you exaggerate everything for the worse. There is not dancing every play and the reality is its a small minority of plays. The way you look at some things is exactly like those who take advantage of a shooting to put down all gun owners but you would defend those owners to the bitter end.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
As usual Los you exaggerate everything for the worse. There is not dancing every play and the reality is its a small minority of plays. The way you look at some things is exactly like those who take advantage of a shooting to put down all gun owners but you would defend those owners to the bitter end.

To me, it's like discussing a raise over dinner with your boss, and you proceed to tell him his wife looks like a hore. Conversation over.

Hey LOS... look at my nick! Then look at whose uniforms you trashed, while we were discussing something totally different.

Last edited: