Throw out Bearing

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
During the last week I started to hear a small chattering noise coming from the transmission area.It only would come when the truck was pulling hard at speed,example is if I was crusising at 65 mph then hit a hill or a strong gust of wind would come.If I then gave it some more thrittle I would hear the noise,when I ease up it gores away.Today I decided to lube the throw out bearing and when I did I noticed it was slightly loose.I think this is what is causing the noise. Question,is it likely to completely fail,or is this normal, and can it be tightened.The transmission is a Fuller Eaton 6 speed with 760K on it.Weave have you or anyone else experienced this??

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Actually a very common problem with those Eaton 6 speeds, the ones my dad and I used to have both had the infamous Eaton chatter. When you adjust the clutch free play, the chatter will become worse. The throwout or "release" bearing can only be addressed when the tranny is out, such as for a clutch replacement. The chatter isn't really harmful, just annoying. My answer was to turn the radio up. There are some references somewhere on this forum to others using bungee cords or springs somewhere on the clutch pedal lever to eliminate the chatter.
Looking at your post again Rich, the thing you might be referring to is the bearing where the clutch actuator lever goes into the tranny, as the throwout bearing is part of the clutch mechanism. This can wear also if not greased enough and could cause its own or worsen throwout bearing chatter. I doubt it can be repaired or replaced without pulling the tranny also, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. Again probably something that can wait until you need the next clutch unless it gets real bad- just keep squirting it with grease.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the advice,heading into some wild desolate areas of Idaho,I think if a breakdown happened there,I would never be heard from until 2006,if at all.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
alot of times that chatter will come from that plastic plate under your dash. In the middle of your steering column going up the fire wall is a large long spring. They are probably running a bungy cord up to that assembly along side the spring to add a little tension. That will eliminate that chatter. The only time I remember seeing that was on a freightliner that had a bad vibration problem, and the clutch arm was moving back and forth hitting that round plastic disc.