Thoughts on 6 skid cube van vs 3 skid sprinter (both under 10k)?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Looking into getting my own van shortly. It was recommended to me that I look into a cube van, box truck, whatever (you may call it something different, its a van with a small 14' box on the back)

It will lessen how many pounds I can carry slightly, but will double the floor space (with a 2ft stagnant sleeper) and allow me to take taller skids. and the price difference isn't much for the 3500 ram for example.

Do you guys think having that extra room will get me a considerable more access to freight, not only the van loads but also any small straight truck loads. I know that in the 3500 promaster I'm at now I usually get loads that are miniscule compared to what the van can handle, so I don't want it to be overkill and get the cube van and end up hauling 95% 2 skid or less loads.

example: 2017 Ram Promaster 3500, Wallingford CT - 122053822 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

Thoughts?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would go with 170E sprinter, have extra room would have room for a sleeper
if you turn pallets side ways can get 4 pallets in there

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I didnt realize there was such a jump in the fuel mileage with adding the box. I average about 16.5 to 17 in the 17 3500 promaster im in now. If i was able to get a bunch more loads it would be worth it but i dont see that happening. Ill have to talk to my dispatch to get a figure on how many more loads i could get

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
so I don't want it to be overkill and get the cube van and end up hauling 95% 2 skid or less loads.
It still holds true, most expedite loads are one or two skids... or more than four skids. Meaning, the three and four skids loads are the distinct minority of expedite loads, with the majority being five or more and two or less.

"But, but, but, the more pallets you can haul and the more weight you can carry, the more load opportunities you will get!" Blah, blah, blah. It's more opportunitie for people to load you down and pay you less than the loads are worth.

If you can haul two skids and 2500-3000 pounds you're good to go, because that's what the industry requires. If you want to haul more than that, go for it.

My goal is to get as many loads that weigh as little as possible. I can only speak for my vehicle, but when I'm hauling 3000 pounds, my van gets slightly worse, just a tad, a smidge lower fuel economy than when I'm hauling a 30 pound box of nuts and bolts.

I'm just sayin'.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
so I don't want it to be overkill and get the cube van and end up hauling 95% 2 skid or less loads.
It still holds true, most expedite loads are one or two skids... or more than four skids. Meaning, the three and four skids loads are the distinct minority of expedite loads, with the majority being five or more and two or less.

"But, but, but, the more pallets you can haul and the more weight you can carry, the more load opportunities you will get!" Blah, blah, blah. It's more opportunitie for people to load you down and pay you less than the loads are worth.

If you can haul two skids and 2500-3000 pounds you're good to go, because that's what the industry requires. If you want to haul more than that, go for it.

My goal is to get as many loads that weigh as little as possible. I can only speak for my vehicle, but when I'm hauling 3000 pounds, my van gets slightly worse, just a tad, a smidge lower fuel economy than when I'm hauling a 30 pound box of nuts and bolt.

I'm just sayin'.
Im looking at holding 6 skids....im aware 3 and 4 are rare.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't like any van that gets less then 15 mpg....I think in todays market its a loser..UNLESS one gets a constant good rate to compensate and NOT just maybe 3-4 loads a month that pay to actually support the van...I don't know of many out there making $1.00 ALL miles EVERY load....

Reactions: ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I see and i appreciate the advice. Ill probably just get myself a promaster. Now comes the struggle of being young with not much credit and getting a loan while being paid on 1099s and not have a "job" as my credit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see and i appreciate the advice. Ill probably just get myself a promaster. Now comes the struggle of being young with not much credit and getting a loan while being paid on 1099s and not have a "job" as my credit.
IMO..you don't need bigger loads, nor heavier loads.....you NEED to run lean and economical...take advantage of fuel cards...Pilot. Speedway and such....watch pump prices carefully...a penny saved is certainly a penny earned these days....SLOW down.....save that fuel mileage, eat in truck where possible...as xiggi said...it can be done...
Watch them UNPAID miles....don't go to BFE without proper pay...whats the use of going 1200 miles and DHing 500 back to the frieght?....

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I ran a Chevy G3500 with the 6.2 engine. I ran mostly 60-62mph and enjoyed the scenery and a 17.1mpg overall average while others whizzed by. The main thing I didn't like is I couldn't stand up to put on my pants. If I were doing it again I'd have to seriously debate between another G3500 and the Transit van with the 3.5 engine and either short or medium roof and either short or medium length. It's about 10" taller than the G3500 so while not stand up straight height it's at least stand up enough height.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I appreciate the advice im already following most of it. I usually cruize at about 65 to 67. I found just that small drop from 70 gave me about a 1 to 2 mpg increase on average. The other thing is when youre speeding along whizzing in and of traffic on a long haul, youre using your brain more and end up getting fatigued a lot easier than cruizng and letting everything to around. Besides when you get that jackass going 50 in a car because hes carrying a 6ft uhaul trailer...

As far as loads go im very happy with my dispatch team at v3, ill get a paid deadhead if i dont get anything within 24 to 36 hours. But ill usually ask for more on the load if its going to nowheresville. The problem is im working for an owner who doesnt have to pay for gas so im just supposed to take all loads. Part of why im trying to get my own van soon.

Just trying to save up for a good down payment. Theyll probably want like 25 percent with my credit situation.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The truck the OP referenced 2017 Ram Promaster 3500, Wallingford CT - 122053822 - CommercialTruckTrader.com
looks fairly close to dock high. My Transit has a floor height of 29" and the pictured Promaster looks to be about 8 to 10 inches higher. This could work with many dock plates using (carrying) a pallet jack. But it would still be hit and miss.

Also the pictured truck looks to be a cab/chassis with no access to the box. And no roof fairing which will put a big hurt on fuel mileage. Probably not a good truck for expediting.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're thin on credit join a credit union and start a savings account. Make regular deposits and then seek a loan. Another option is financing through an arm of the vehicle manufacturer. At one time even my dog was eligible for new car, manufacturer financing. I don't know if that is still true.

You've done the widely accepted route to ownership by starting out in a fleet owned vehicle. Apparently you've kept track of all expenses involve as if you owned the van you drive. You should have a decent handle on what it takes to buy a van and be successful. Don't get in too much of a hurry to buy a van. Not only do you need a down payment but also some cash in reserve. Good luck and keep thinking it through!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My goal is to get as many loads that weigh as little as possible. I can only speak for my vehicle, but when I'm hauling 3000 pounds, my van gets slightly worse, just a tad, a smidge lower fuel economy than when I'm hauling a 30 pound box of nuts and bolt.

I'm just sayin'.
Im looking at holding 6 skids....im aware 3 and 4 are rare.

If you're holding 6 skids you better be getting a straight truck rate, up the carrier you work for and fetch a better pay and less freight. Let the bottom feeder carriers fall off the edge, I'm saying stick to good paying carriers and also flexible ones with low weekly settlement deductions. A industry transformation is possible with technology evolving.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I appreciate the advice im already following most of it. I usually cruize at about 65 to 67. I found just that small drop from 70 gave me about a 1 to 2 mpg increase on average. The other thing is when youre speeding along whizzing in and of traffic on a long haul, youre using your brain more and end up getting fatigued a lot easier than cruizng and letting everything to around. Besides when you get that jackass going 50 in a car because hes carrying a 6ft uhaul trailer...

As far as loads go im very happy with my dispatch team at v3, ill get a paid deadhead if i dont get anything within 24 to 36 hours. But ill usually ask for more on the load if its going to nowheresville. The problem is im working for an owner who doesnt have to pay for gas so im just supposed to take all loads. Part of why im trying to get my own van soon.

Just trying to save up for a good down payment. Theyll probably want like 25 percent with my credit situation.

I've increased my speed lately because I find I get the same or better then when I was going 65 (2006 Sprinter 158). Now I'm cruising around 68-69 on the gps 72 on the speedo and I'm able to pass most rigs and get places faster, although out west some run 70-75 and that's where I've been running most of the year. I did get some of my best mileage on previous Sprinters doing 63-64 mph but that is just too slow these days for me, I plan to do 75 when I get the next Sprinter, I just want to knock these loads out, I don't have time like I used to experimenting getting 750 miles per tank. Do you have a idea of what your owner makes per mile at V3, was curious about the rates?

Last edited:

schwanman

Expert Expediter
If you're thin on credit join a credit union and start a savings account. Make regular deposits and then seek a loan. Another option is financing through an arm of the vehicle manufacturer. At one time even my dog was eligible for new car, manufacturer financing. I don't know if that is still true.

You've done the widely accepted route to ownership by starting out in a fleet owned vehicle. Apparently you've kept track of all expenses involve as if you owned the van you drive. You should have a decent handle on what it takes to buy a van and be successful. Don't get in too much of a hurry to buy a van. Not only do you need a down payment but also some cash in reserve. Good luck and keep thinking it through!
I have tried credit union and Keybank for loans. Both will not finance commercial vans.
Any ideas?