Thought you guys might enjoy pics of this peterbil

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/2turbos1mission/Truck1.jpg

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/2turbos1mission/Truck2.jpg

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/2turbos1mission/Truck3.jpg

Has 1.1 million miles on it, thinking of buying it (price is right) but I'm a little concerned with how the truck will hold up. I've seen peterbilts for sale 1.4 or 1.5 million miles on it going for about $20,000. Anyone care to comment? I figured I could attract a good driver with a truck like this.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Thought you guys might enjoy pics of this pete

Sure is a pretty paint job! But it just couldn't BE... a genuine PETERBILT.... that speedo only goes to 80 MPH:7
-Weave-

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter

You might be able to attract a new driver with that truck, but your present drivers may be a little jealous that they are not driving a truck like that!:'(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

That isn't a work truck! That is a show truck. If you buy and put a driver in something like that you will have more headaches than it's worth.

A truck like that is for someone that has no worries or cares about anything but the truck. Probably just like the guy who owns that one. I think you would be much better off, sticking to your Sterling trucks, unless you plan to buy it as a show truck.

It is a nice rig, though!!!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Oh yeah, every Pete owner MUST bring their wonderful Harley with them on the back, and have the 7" open pipes on the Pete to make it SOUND like a Harley. Don't forget the unmuffled jake brake, a tough guy can't be without that NOISE! Oh so SCARY when they terrorize small towns with the macho-truck:7 Maybe we can buy it and stretch it out as a C unit for Jim Peters' birthday:+
-Weave-

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

teacel,

Why do you think it will be nothing but headaches? I thought it would be a good truck to attract a good driver. Also, how can this be a show only truck? The original driver put over 1 million miles on it. If there are valid reasons for not using it over the road, I'll definitely skip on it, but seems like a good deal to me.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F ft box truck

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter

Sterling_owner,
I really believe you'll have problems with your other drivers. They'll be thinking the new driver is a Prima Donna. It's just like raising your children, you can't show favoritism. You treat them all the same.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

The reason I think it would cause you headaches is because I think it will attract bad drivers not good ones. Bad in the sense of the Mr. Tough guy drivers that think no one can tell them anything, not even you after a while. As for the show truck, I mean that it is a real nice looking truck and I wouldn’t buy it to use as a work truck. I would buy it if I had the extra money and would put it in shows. Things like the old car cruise on Friday night. I’ll bet if you ask the driver about his life style, he will tell you he lives in the truck and doesn’t have a family.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

Makse sense and I was talking with my drivers today. They said as much as they would love that huge sleeper, driving that thing would be a pain in the butt, especially backing up to docks, etc. They also said that many guys with that type of truck have to give up freight because of the extra weight. I'm going to try to find a standard Peterbilt 379, If I can find a decent one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll be happy. After I realize that I can't find one, I'll go pickup a freightliner or something like that :)

2 1999 Sterling Semis

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter

Sterling,
How much waaaaas the good deal on that beauty?:9

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

I had him to about $45,000. He is still looking for a buyer though :eek:

2 1999 Sterling Semis

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter

Sterling,
Thanks for getting back so quick.
That's a little steep for me, considering the milage and all. :(

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

That is one of the main reasons I decided to pass on it, but I've seen peterbilts with 2.5 million miles on them. Considering that truck is was about $160,000 new...price isnt half bad. The sleeper alone was around $40,000.

2 1999 Sterling Semis

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

That price is really good for something of that caliber. I have seen that truck in the show section of Land Line once, I know it has been the winner of multiple shows. It would just be too much of a shame to use it at as a mainstram work truck, which is why I think show trucks are silly. Looks beautiful, but who in their right mind really wants to stand outside polishing up Mr. Eagle after every single load? Show trucks look like junk if they have one speck of dust on them. I don't think ultra flash will help attract drivers, most are happy with something comfortable that has some power.
-Weave-