this is a stupid question.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What should I expect at a weigh station?
I don't have a cdl. My friend Ray does. He's driving. We are in a Hino SG rollback on a harebrained trip from VA to MA. He's never done a trip this distance, never went through a weigh station, never filled out a logbook. We found a logbook and figured that out.

How screwed are we?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well, made it through the first one unscathed. Aside from going too slow and getting an earful of airhorn.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a cdl. My friend Ray does. He's driving. We are in a Hino SG rollback on a harebrained trip from VA to MA. He's never done a trip this distance, never went through a weigh station, never filled out a logbook. We found a logbook and figured that out.

How screwed are we?
what is the combined weight of truck and load.
:cool:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't they teach you that stuff when you have to get a CDL? I seem to remember, back when I went to school to learn to drive a rig (1987, just so's you know) that they taught us something of all of this. Filling out a logbook-- I fancy that though it's been decades since I went to school, I can fill one out to legal standards to this day. Weigh scales and what might be expected--- yep, learned something of that. Learning to plot your route on a trucker's atlas-- this was back before everybody and his brother had GPS-- yep, still do it occasionally. Pre-trip, post-trip and occasional en-route vehicle inspections-- yep, got taught that too. Emergency medical-- I won't pass as an EMT, but we got taught enough that maybe I could keep you from dying until the pros arrive.

So-- when you go for training for your CDL today, do they give any sort of training or do you just get your CDL from a vending machine? Now I'm starting to get scared.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I didn't go to cdl school and I'm willing to bet a lot of us driving straight trucks didn't so I can't speak on what the schools teach. I can however speak on what's in the Louisiana cdl learners manual and what's on their tests that I took and logs aren't mentioned. Neither are axle weights or weigh stations.

Thankfully reading through eo and some other forums I picked up that info but I bet it catches a lot of people who taught themselves off guard when they first see a log book (or get asked for one and they don't have it), get pulled into a scale house or get busted with 24,000lbs on their single drive axle and 7,000lbs on their steer.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The school my wife and I went to taught us everything we needed to know to operate safely. Logs, freight securement, trip planning, emergency procedures, etc. Maybe that's why after 6 years we still have CSA scores of 0.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Don't they teach you that stuff when you have to get a CDL?.

Ray was grandfathered in, back in the days of steam power. He's only driven locally, pulling a trailer and backhoe with ragged dump trucks. It was never an issue.

I can't get a cdl because I can't see a **** thing.

Your concerns are valid though.

We're on our way home. The purpose of this trip was to pick up a tractor and a '32 Ford Model A from my grandparents estate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't they teach you that stuff when you have to get a CDL? I seem to remember, back when I went to school to learn to drive a rig (1987, just so's you know) that they taught us something of all of this. Filling out a logbook-- I fancy that though it's been decades since I went to school, I can fill one out to legal standards to this day. Weigh scales and what might be expected--- yep, learned something of that. Learning to plot your route on a trucker's atlas-- this was back before everybody and his brother had GPS-- yep, still do it occasionally. Pre-trip, post-trip and occasional en-route vehicle inspections-- yep, got taught that too. Emergency medical-- I won't pass as an EMT, but we got taught enough that maybe I could keep you from dying until the pros arrive.

So-- when you go for training for your CDL today, do they give any sort of training or do you just get your CDL from a vending machine? Now I'm starting to get scared.

I went to CDL school in 81/82....NO log book instructions.....

blackpup

Veteran Expediter

How screwed are we?
You have probably already realized that the different states operate their scales with some small differences. Just watch the signs and do the best you can.

jimmy

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Interesting that nobody really did tell him what to expect and answer as he put it "How screwed" he could be... Well, It's been a while since I've been on the board - so I'll take a shot at this one.

What to expect: You follow the signs and lights and it's not a bad idea to roll your drivers window down a little bit in case they have a speaker outside to alert you of something... Like "Park and come inside" or the rare "Have a nice day".

Now, for future reference there's something called "Trip planning" that is a helpful thing to do. Check your route ahead of time and find the scales, in those areas you should have your log book AND Inspection book/sheets current- Very Current, especially the last 7 (Seven) days.

Make sure before you leave on your trip that your brakes are good, the alerts/buzzers come on at the right air pressures. If the truck does not have air brakes then make sure the brakes are adjusted properly... and with him working around equipment a good bit either he knows or he knows somebody that can help him with this.

Tire tread depth, make sure you got it and you are above the wear bars.

Make sure ALL of your lights are working, and working the way they are supposed to work.

Belts and fluids should be good, and it's not a bad idea to make sure there's no leaks.
If your rig has air power, and there's air going to a trailer, make sure there's no air leaks... if there is, then find it and fix it. Why? Because, if you don't find the air leak and the DOT/Scale Master finds it - you can put money on it that your trip just got worse.

Be polite, don't speak too much. Use good manners and it's never a good idea to curse in front of a DOT/Scale Master. Basically, they're like a police officer or Sheriff Deputy except much more powerful when it comes to a CDL holder... which can be expensive and/or aggravating.

For a long trip, it's also a good idea to keep a clean cab - it throws up a red flag and makes the officers at a scale more suspicious if you open a door (Any Door) and trash or a mess falls out and/or is in clear view.

Prior to getting out and walking inside to a scale house it's also a good idea to freshen up some - and look at least half way decent... in other words don't look like you just cut grass with a push mower for 3 hours. Do Not Smoke or chew dip going into or exiting a scale office.

This should be a good start for you and hopefully others will chime in with other helpful tips/advice.

BigBusBob

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
By the way, as to what they can do to you at a scale....

Any number of things. They can literally take your seats out of your cab to search for drugs. The officers will usually though just inspect your paperwork... and it's not unusual to get a vehicle inspection. If an officer goes out to your rig with a creeper and a flashlight, you might as well kiss at the very least 2 hours gooooooooood bye. Relax, keep calm and be very polite and kind. You can curse them out going down the road and it won't cost you a thing.

They (They being the DOT/Scale Masters) can, they will, and they have torn seats out of tour busses, taken restrooms APART, looked inside my luggage and my passengers luggage. Go thru a load of DVD's that is a sealed load. Inspect pharmaceuticals to see if they're legitimate.

If you're carrying equipment, they will check for proper load securement - and you can get fined for improper securement in various ways- this is where every officer has their own definition of the rules and laws. Keep in mind though that the officer is ultimately looking out for you and the motoring public. The officer may even inspect the load of equipment itself.

The main thing though, is the log book and inspection. The officer will thoroughly inspect your log book for the previous 7 to 8 days... and may go back even farther. Make sure your log book is neat and doesn't have too much white out on it.

Just thought I'd add that stuff

BigBusBob