This Family. Please Read.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

2785731_1418184316.9901.jpg

This sweet little boy died in a fire at his home last week. They are from a trucking community connected via EO. His pregnant mother and a sibling were taken to the hospital. The house is a total loss and they had no insurance. If you have it in your heart, donations are being accepted online. Please click on the picture to be redirected to the gofundme.com
support page. Prayers are also welcome. Many thanks!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can understand not having it in one's wallet, but anyone who doesn't have it in their heart is a sorry specimen of humanity.
This close to Christmas just makes it even worse for the survivors.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What makes me sad is that they not only lost the boy, but they didn't see it as a priority to have insurance. That should be a no-brainer for anyone owning a house.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What makes me sad is that they not only lost the boy, but they didn't see it as a priority to have insurance. That should be a no-brainer for anyone owning a house.

Hawk: that they didn't have insurance is true, that they didn't see it as a priority is an assumption that may be utterly false. When there isn't enough money to provide all the 'should haves', there are a lot of things ahead of insurance on the list, like paying the mortgage/rent, food, utilities, etc. Life is tough when there isn't enough money, and the stress of knowing what isn't being covered just makes it worse. Poor doesn't mean stupid, or even ignorant. It means stressed in ways you can't imagine if you've been fortunate to have never 'been there'.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hawk: that they didn't have insurance is true, that they didn't see it as a priority is an assumption that may be utterly false. When there isn't enough money to provide all the 'should haves', there are a lot of things ahead of insurance on the list, like paying the mortgage/rent, food, utilities, etc. Life is tough when there isn't enough money, and the stress of knowing what isn't being covered just makes it worse. Poor doesn't mean stupid, or even ignorant. It means stressed in ways you can't imagine if you've been fortunate to have never 'been there'.

Totally agree that there are circumstances. But when you add in the fact that mom was pregnant, well, there HAD to be some money there, right? Not having any would've been downright irresponsible.

Both of us are merely speculating here. Perhaps the husband made good money, yet they didn't see the need for insurance. Maybe they liked to try their luck. Either way, I don't see home insurance as a "luxury," same as I don't see car insurance as one. A lot of people see both as a luxury, since it doesn't bring them anything NOW. It's called living dangerously.

Perhaps, even, they have an older home that couldn't be insured; which also could've led to the fire itself.

Either way, it's tragic. There are going to be a lot of 'ifs' that haunt the parents for the rest of their lives. I truly wish them the best possible outcome.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Totally agree that there are circumstances. But when you add in the fact that mom was pregnant, well, there HAD to be some money there, right?

I can not believe you made me laugh in a thread such as this. Getting pregnant doesn't cost a thing - it's just the next couple decades that take so much of what used to be considered 'discretionary' income, lol. ;)
IMO, they're worth every penny.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I can not believe you made me laugh in a thread such as this. Getting pregnant doesn't cost a thing - it's just the next couple decades that take so much of what used to be considered 'discretionary' income, lol. ;)
IMO, they're worth every penny.

I know... sarcasm becomes me. :cool: