Third post in a while

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I hope everyone has been doing ok. I've had some issues going on and just lost interest in everything I was doing. I'm doing better but getting over the initial shock of having a stroke one year ago.
Just wanting to tell everyone hello.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I have been out of the hospital for almost 7 years and still in so/so shape from blood clots. We all think we're invincible until something like a stroke or blood clot tells us otherwise. Are you on blood thinners for life?

Reactions: DollarSign

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Hang in there Jason! I know what a stroke can do, my dad "pops" had one a year or two ago. As the old saying goes, it could be better it could be worse.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes plus blood pressure meds also.
I've had to learn hope to do a lot of things differently. it affected my whole left side. I've learned how to walk again. On walker. I'm still learning how to get my arm and fingers to work also.
Thank goodness it didn't affect my right side.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys. I,m relearning the new layout of the site. A little different than iy was before

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've had to learn hope to do a lot of things differently. it affected my whole left side. I've learned how to walk again. On walker. I'm still learning how to get my arm and fingers to work also.

I have some hope for you Jason. My neighbor was hit with a really bad stroke 6 years ago. He could barely move his one side. He fought and now he can walk without a cane, and even ride his bicycle again. The only lingering effects he has now is having to try harder to get his hand to release things he grips. Sometimes his fingers do not release fast enough on his affected side. But he went from the walker, to the cane, to being almost 100 percent.

I'm on two blood pressure meds now too. I have a very weird condition called POTS where your heart rate and blood pressure go extremely high, but only when standing. I can go into the ER and be 117/76 BP and them saying how good my BP is. Then, as soon as I stand up, my BP will be 170/120, just like that and stay high until I sit back down. yesterday before meds, my sitting heart rate was 70 BPM, stand heart rate was 125 BPM. This makes you dizzy and unwell. Meds smooth everything out for 12 hours. I don't take meds at night, because I am not standing a lot at night. I have had BP as high as 180/130 with pulse rate of 155 BPM. That was before meds. I could not figure out why I could not tolerate standing up. I couldn't even stand in line at the DMV to get my drivers license renewed without feeling like I was dying and having to take a seat.

Any how, I'm glad you are getting better. It takes time. 7 years ago, if you told me I would be able to stand up for 5 hours a few days a week on my bad leg and work, I would have laughed at you. Now I am getting better, but you have to sometimes set realistic limitations. It is what they call a new normal. You might not be able to go back to 100 percent, but you will have a new 100 percent for you and your own situation. Hang in there. It does get better.

Reactions: Jason2

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm heading in that direction. My toes had been turning under like a bird does when he lites on a limb, but the last few days they have started straightening out finally. So i'm walking and straightening my left knee out better.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have some hope for you Jason. My neighbor was hit with a really bad stroke 6 years ago. He could barely move his one side. He fought and now he can walk without a cane, and even ride his bicycle again. The only lingering effects he has now is having to try harder to get his hand to release things he grips. Sometimes his fingers do not release fast enough on his affected side. But he went from the walker, to the cane, to being almost 100 percent.

I'm on two blood pressure meds now too. I have a very weird condition called POTS where your heart rate and blood pressure go extremely high, but only when standing. I can go into the ER and be 117/76 BP and them saying how good my BP is. Then, as soon as I stand up, my BP will be 170/120, just like that and stay high until I sit back down. yesterday before meds, my sitting heart rate was 70 BPM, stand heart rate was 125 BPM. This makes you dizzy and unwell. Meds smooth everything out for 12 hours. I don't take meds at night, because I am not standing a lot at night. I have had BP as high as 180/130 with pulse rate of 155 BPM. That was before meds. I could not figure out why I could not tolerate standing up. I couldn't even stand in line at the DMV to get my drivers license renewed without feeling like I was dying and having to take a seat.

Any how, I'm glad you are getting better. It takes time. 7 years ago, if you told me I would be able to stand up for 5 hours a few days a week on my bad leg and work, I would have laughed at you. Now I am getting better, but you have to sometimes set realistic limitations. It is what they call a new normal. You might not be able to go back to 100 percent, but you will have a new 100 percent for you and your own situation. Hang in there. It does get better.

My BP has always ran around the 145/150-90/100 range. If I get to the 120/80 range, forget it, I'm in the bed or couch. I haven't got the energy to walk to the bathroom.
yea, I have my new normal now with my situation.

My left hand fingers is like that now also. but i'm working on them. left arm I still cant fully straighten it out or raise it up like my right arm. but its getting better also. And if i'm laying on my left side or get down in the floor or ground, I cant get up unless I have help.

Reactions: blizzard2014

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

My BP has always ran around the 145/150-90/100 range. If I get to the 120/80 range, forget it, I'm in the bed or couch. I haven't got the energy to walk to the bathroom.
yea, I have my new normal now with my situation.

My left hand fingers is like that now also. but i'm working on them. left arm I still cant fully straighten it out or raise it up like my right arm. but its getting better also. And if i'm laying on my left side or get down in the floor or ground, I cant get up unless I have help.

The only loss of function I can't get back is being able to climb the stairs with my right leg. I can do it a few times, but then it just gives out and I am in pain for a few days. I have to walk up and down the stairs sideways with my left leg doing all of the climbing. That is my only noticeable disability, if you were to watch me climbing up the stairs, walking onto a curb, or trying to get into a car. I have to use my left leg and lift myself up onto the cargo van step, then twist sideways, and hold onto the steering wheel and lower myself into the seat. I could not get down onto the floor for a few years too. I can get down onto the floor now, but after two or three times, I can't do it anymore. My good knee is starting to get worn out from doing all the work. I have stairs here at home and climb them every day and no improvements. Also, if I walk too fast or too far, my leg will go out sooner. I have a length per day on how far or how fast I can walk before my leg and also both legs begin to burn and I have to rest standing up for 15 minutes sitting on a car bumper to recover. I won't be going on hikes, long walks, or running ever again. Inclines are the worst. I have to pace myself and then it is all good. When my blood pressure kicks up and my HR hits 140/150 range, I am dizzy and almost ready to pass out at work. I have to sit down in the car with the air con on for 20 minutes and take more BP med to recover. This has only happened a few times this year, but it forces me to stop what I'm doing. I think I can handle driving though, because it is just sitting. I hope you make a full recovery. It is always possible. I have not fully recovered because there are still old undissolved blood clots in my right leg. Chronic blood clots never go away, just turn into scar tissue and cause a whole bunch of issues with circulation that messes up the leg. Kind of like Dr. House lol.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Diet changes can improve your heath, we have gone to a Whole Food Plant Based eating...most will not try it because its based on 2 things,,,,eat your veggies and not many Americans like veggies,,,u know is some kind of taboo for some reason, but eating veggies is good for you--I sound like a parent or something--lol

we do not drink dairy milk, no oils on salads, or cook with oils, no butter,cheese..you can look up whole foods life style eating, its really simple and you artiers and veins will love it,,scrubs them out...

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me and the girlfriend has changed our eating habits a lot. We've quit drinking coke's a lot a lot.

Your not sounding like a parent. Just a friend that cares.

Reactions: blizzard2014

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Me and the girlfriend has changed our eating habits a lot. We've quit drinking coke's a lot a lot.

That is good. I used to drink 15 cokes a day. I drink diet iced tea now. I wonder how much the high BP has to do with diet though. I can eat no salt for weeks and my BP is still high. It doesn't matter if I eat healthy or not. Sometimes diet works like if you are a true celiac disease patient, but all of the crazy diets do not cure really bad medical ailments. I bet your gal has you on lockdown Jason after the stroke. That's why I'm glad I'm going to remain single for a long time lol. I don't need anyone monitoring me. I still eat cake as a diabetic. I just use insulin and my blood sugar stays completely normal after the 2 hour mark. If I was married, I'd be force fed salads and leeks lol.

I'm sorry for posting so much on this thread. It is supposed to be about you. I'm not very good at socializing these days. I hope to see you out there one the road one day.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That is good. I used to drink 15 cokes a day. I drink diet iced tea now. I wonder how much the high BP has to do with diet though. I can eat no salt for weeks and my BP is still high. It doesn't matter if I eat healthy or not. Sometimes diet works like if you are a true celiac disease patient, but all of the crazy diets do not cure really bad medical ailments. I bet your gal has you on lockdown Jason after the stroke. That's why I'm glad I'm going to remain single for a long time lol. I don't need anyone monitoring me. I still eat cake as a diabetic. I just use insulin and my blood sugar stays completely normal after the 2 hour mark. If I was married, I'd be force fed salads and leeks lol.

I'm sorry for posting so much on this thread. It is supposed to be about you. I'm not very good at socializing these days. I hope to see you out there one the road one day.

Not on lockdown yet. Hehe. My BP stays about the same but all my docs wants it lower. I cant stand it lower.

My sugar stays in normal range also. I was at a 6 pack Dr. Pepper a day but im down to 3 each a day. But a gallon sweet tea every 2 days. With dome water throwed in also.

Post all you want bud. We need someone different to talk to