Cargo Van Thinking of upgrading to expediting...

interested1026

New Recruit
Researching
I use to drive my own cargo van mainly locally for a 3PL. I enjoyed it but did it as second income with an old van that is now gone. I have been thinking of upgrading to a new van and being an O/O for expediting. I am confused as to how the industry works. As an O/O, would I upgrade insurance and than team with a company?, or do you just call any 3PL in the area which you find yourself and see if there is a load? I have a very flexible lifestyle including no problem sleeping in the van for a few days if need be. My cost of living is next to nothing and the main concern I have about this choice of work is burning out. I have a history of going hard and then burning out. Is this an industry where you can turn work down or is that frowned upon? I am not necessarily looking to become a big company, just a one man op that enjoys the freedom from bosses, hours, etc etc.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I use to drive my own cargo van mainly locally for a 3PL. I enjoyed it but did it as second income with an old van that is now gone. I have been thinking of upgrading to a new van and being an O/O for expediting. I am confused as to how the industry works. As an O/O, would I upgrade insurance and than team with a company?, or do you just call any 3PL in the area which you find yourself and see if there is a load? I have a very flexible lifestyle including no problem sleeping in the van for a few days if need be. My cost of living is next to nothing and the main concern I have about this choice of work is burning out. I have a history of going hard and then burning out. Is this an industry where you can turn work down or is that frowned upon? I am not necessarily looking to become a big company, just a one man op that enjoys the freedom from bosses, hours, etc etc.
Seriously, not only will it burn you out BUT it will break you. And, I'm an upbeat kind of guy.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

interested1026

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the reply. So you're an O/O with a cargo van? How long and what are your lessons learned so far if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thanks for the reply. So you're an O/O with a cargo van? How long and what are your lessons learned so far if you wouldn't mind sharing?
Yes, O/O of Transit 350. I run, run and run more. If I had to make a living at this I couldn't! I don't see any chance of success in this field anymore unless you have a working spouse that provides health insurance and/or (like me) over 65 with SS income and Medicare.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app