Thinking in So Flo

G

Looking for input PLEASE...I have been trying to decide for months now if I should try expediting. Am thinking of buying and putting on a "D" unit with FedEx cc. planning on running solo and live in south Florida..Currently drive for big FedEx (express) local Class 8..I know 'why do you want to leave a good paying, home every night job' oh well I dont know either. Is expediting so bad or so good. Am I crazy to try to run out of this area ? Any advice would be appreciated. Good luck to all of you.

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I do think you're crazy to leave such a good job! South FL is a bad area for expediting freight, especially for a single. You may wind up sitting down there for a couple weeks or deadheading all the way up to Atlanta. If this itch for the open road continues, why not see if you can take a temporary leave of absence and drive for someone. An expediter truck is a big investment and they're pretty hard to get rid of. Good luck! Chris

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree 100% with Chris,The southeast is not a good area for a solo driver to run,reasons are because most shipments require teams to meet the shippers schedule. Fedex CC will only allow a solo driver to go 520 miles before a 8 hour break must be taken. This limits you to shorter trips and take it from a guy who lives in North Florida,there are very few short trips in this area.. I would stay with the big guys or at least drive for a owner of expediter trucks before you make a major investment..

G

I agree 100% with Rich and Chris. The only way I would expedite in Florida, is with a tractor/trailer. That way you can get broker loads (general freight) in and out of home. Aside from that the expediting industry is saturated with D units. If you must try expediting, DRIVE FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO SEE IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT.

G

I think it will be very difficult for a single driver to make it being from so florida. not much freight there and you will use up a lot of hours just getting to and from the freight, or guaranteed unpaid deadhead miles every time you want go home.