Thinking About Returning to Expedite-Solo ST

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Hey, everyone. I've watched EO off and on for about 2 1/2 years now. Mostly off over the past year or so. Never posted tho.

A bit of background.

I got into expedite with P2 in 2005. Drove for an owner. In 06 I switched carriers, but stayed with the same owner. Really pressured to run noncompliant. I hated that. I really prefer to run compliant. I got married to a woman from Akron Ohio. I quit in some part to get out of the lease with the carrier(tho I liked working for my owner), but for the most part because I was afraid to leave her and her kids alone in the neighborhood they moved into. Long story, but spent a lot of that winter with a shotgun in my lap, and confronted dealers twice in our front yard. Got back into driving the next spring with the same owner, back at P2, and moved us to Virginia that summer. I found freight in the Shenandoah Valley is few and far between. And the truck I was driving was junk, so the owner sold it, and didn't have another unit. I shoulda pursued another owner, but thought I'd find a local job and enjoy my mountain. Turns out, I have one marketable skill, and always a sick longing for the highway. Guess I'm that special kind of crazy that's just sorta suited to this insanity.

So I'm looking to see if it's viable to come back into it. Solo ST with an owner (no way I can get my own:(). With the economy as it is, and people posting about a glut of trucks compared to freight, I thought I'd see if it's a waste of effort to do it, or if I can make my nut.

I only need to gross 20-25K not counting fuel which I may or may not be paying for depending on the boss.

How is it back with the Big Cat? Who is doing well solo ST and running COMPLIANT and for whom? I'd prefer it if you've been with them for a year or so (you know back when unleaded was was at 5 bucks a gallon).

Should I do it? Ok, subjective question and all, but I have better than 2, years under my belt. Not new to the game, just to the particular parameters of today's economy.

Can I re-start without losing my mind and my money?

Thanks,
Christopher

PS: Feel free to move this to the Newbie forums, if you deem it necessary.

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome RoadDawgg. That's the same question I'm trying to answer but without the prior expediting experience that you have. I posted a request for discussion about that further down the page; Discuss going Solo in a ST

Good Luck

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have to say after Panthers new forced dispatch policy there will be plenty of jobs available

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
You know, I don't know how it is at P2, but for us solos don't do as well. I can't tell you how many times a solo picked up a load at the shipper and drove it 100 miles or so, and it was off-loaded onto a team truck for 1500 miles.

I don't like the math of solos.

mypie

dcstevens

Seasoned Expediter
Panther 2 treat solos like total CRAP! They don't like you, they don't want you! Call the 5 other majors and run for them. Nough said!

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Can't tell you how many times I've done that with P2...lol.

Especially if I was anywhere near Indy.

Won't run team. Can't do it with my wife, and won't do it otherwise.

It was always harsh math....lol Just need to know how much harsher it is now.

You know, I don't know how it is at P2, but for us solos don't do as well. I can't tell you how many times a solo picked up a load at the shipper and drove it 100 miles or so, and it was off-loaded onto a team truck for 1500 miles.

I don't like the math of solos.

mypie

Christopher

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Forced???? Are you kidding? That's insane!

If I wanted to drive forced, I'd do a refresher, and drive class A for Werner or Roehl.

Is this a harbinger of awful things to come in the industry, or is P2 just developing a God-complex?

I would have to say after Panthers new forced dispatch policy there will be plenty of jobs available

Christopher

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
My experience wasn't THAT bad with them in the past.

Tho, this new forced dispatch sounds like it's that bad now.

Panther 2 treat solos like total CRAP! They don't like you, they don't want you! Call the 5 other majors and run for them. Nough said!

I'm just looking to see if I can make my $25K driving for an owner with any of the carriers out there. Doesn't matter if they be big or small. Just want to run legal while I do it.

Anyone from the other carriers care to chime in? If Panther is doing forced, that's out right off the bat.

Thanks,
Christopher

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
if you think being expected to take 2 out of 3 loads that is the rate you contracted(meaning you gave your word) to run is a forced dispatch maybe this is not the best market to be in right now.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Is that what he meant? I thought he meant actual forced dispatch. Hell, I usually hovered around 80% and that was with my owner telling me to refuse anything under 200 miles.

Like they say, 2 outta 3 aint bad ;)

if you think being expected to take 2 out of 3 loads that is the rate you contracted(meaning you gave your word) to run is a forced dispatch maybe this is not the best market to be in right now.

Christopher