Thinking about putting my cargo van to use, but....

ShannonK

Rookie Expediter
I have an "08" cargo van that is not being used now since my husband has gone to driving OTR. He was an electrician. We have been looking at a way to get a use out of the van instead of letting it sit. so we thought about expediting. We still have a teenager at home. So I have a problem about being gone for more than 2 weeks at a time. I was thinking about starting out hauling small animals, i know the money aint as good. but wondered about what others thought. Or if I better off to get my cdl and go with hubby a couple weeks at a time. Whats your thoughts?

Thanks y'all

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Shannon, you would be better off teaming with your husband, Teams do a lot better than singles in OTR. I talked to a driver how had hauled small animals for a time, he said it was not worth it.

ShannonK

Rookie Expediter
Thanks Wimpy007,

Team driving i shouldn't have to stay out all the time with him, right.? just wondered because of our son.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ummmm, maybe it's none of my business, but if you have a teenage son perhaps you should find another way to put the van to work.

ShannonK

Rookie Expediter
I would love to, but not much use for a 40 something overweight homemaker that hasn't had a job in over ten years. And we need some extra income. open to suggestions. keep it clean.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
thats an idea,. there any threads on here that can give me advise on how to do so?

I would avoid doing that since you are not familiar with expediting or with setting up or running that business model. That's a good way to have a big problem and lose everything you own if you don't set things up correctly. Put the van up for sale and start a home based business with the money.

ShannonK

Rookie Expediter
LOL I like that thought too! I know this is a bit off, but what about local courier service anyone know anything about that? Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Home business and use of van.... But I also really need a new dually and an extra large horse trailer.... hummm...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sell the van. Buy a dually and horse trailer and move horses with them for $$$.
Lots of horse moving ads on Uship.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sell the van. Buy a dually and horse trailer and move horses with them for $$$.
Lots of horse moving ads on Uship.

But don't forget that if you go that route you will need to log and scale just like your husband if you want to stay legal.

I'm not saying that some if not most people that move horses don't do it under the radar. But that is risky. In more ways than one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
My wife and I buy junk at estate sales for very little money and re sell at yard sales year round. Indoors in cold weather. We average profit of 700 to 1000/ mo with around 200 to 400 investment. I also have a driver in my cargo van running 48 states with 2 expediting companies.

ShannonK

Rookie Expediter
jjoerger and Unclebob - been thinking about the hauling horses, trying to find out the legal issues there. who would i contact to get the best and accurate info about that???

Ragman - my son is actually working for his grandfather learning the electrical business. So he gets school credit along with his other studies and an income. We homeschool so that makes feasible.

BigMann59 - I have tried the yard sale route, but with no luck. We have a lot of people that do that around here already. And we don't live in town, so it's harder to get people to come out to the woods. lol

loving the ideas and the wisdom from you all, was hoping to go to the knoxville expedite show, but have to cancel. no money this week for it. and my personal vehicle costs too much to run and not dependable... :(

any other suggestions???

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once you go over 10,000 pounds COMBINED gross vehicle weight you are subject to DOT regulations. A pickup truck and trailer like you'd need would put you over the limit.

There are other members on here that can advise you better on the details.

I'm just a lowly van guy under 10,000 so I don't deal with that.