Thinking about making a change to the expedite world

Freight Relocators

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone,

I’m currently an owner operator with my own authority running OTR.

As the kids are almost all out of the house, my wife is getting more interested in getting a CDL and driving.

If she does this, I am considering entering the expedite world. Let go of the tractor and trailer, get a box truck with a custom sleeper. We would literally be living in the truck for a while, most likely selling our house and trying to stack money for retirement.

I’m not real keen on the idea of being a company driver, so I am looking at this with the plan of having my own truck.

I’m not overly fond of the idea of leasing to a carrier, so would like to do this with my own authority. Is that even a common thing in this sector of the industry?

This isn’t happening immediately, or at least that isn’t the plan. To do expedite, I would assume that it would require a team to be effective. I may be wrong. Otherwise, I would consider making this move a little sooner at the solo level until she is able to join me out here.

The solo OTR business sucks right now, as most are probably aware. How are things currently in the world of Expedite freight?

Freight Relocators

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Gotta say, I am finding it a bit difficult to find good information about the expedite world. Seems most of what I find is related to sprinter vans, which I don’t want to live in.

Are there any OTR straight truck owners here?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The main difference is sprinter/transit Van's are under 10k pounds gvr which means no cdl or log book unless under a haz mat load.
And no hours of service.

mal2478

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Expedite is the unknown FedEx business and are dying for drivers. Some may want to opine on FedEx Expediting.

mal2478

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The OP didn't mention them That would be the first choice I'd make if business is slow.