thinking about getting into expediting

matt73

Seasoned Expediter
I've been driving big rigs for a year now 6months local and 6months doing regional work.Lately I've been thinking about buying my own rig jumping into expediting.I would appreciate any info anyone gives me.Also I've heard of some people using single axle tractors and a pup trailer if this is true that would be my rig of choice.

guido4475

Not a Member
I think the pup would be a great idea.Less expenses as far as maint,plates,etc.I have seen a few air-ride pups with liftgates for sale, I think it was ryder who had them.My freind was going to do that before his heart attack kept him off the road.Just think of the size of sleeper you can have!!

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Pup trailer?? Hey maybe but that is a new one on me. As for jumping in right now, 3 words come to mind:

1) READ
2) READ
3) READ

Oh and did I mention Read? Go back from about mid October last year and read every post in the general and newbie forums. This is a hard time to be in this business. I am not gonna tell you not to do it as there will be enough people telling you that, and I dont know your monetary situation. I will suggest you research and think long and hard before making the move into this industry. The rewards out here are not always calculated in dollars and cents. What I mean to say is, You gotta really love this to be in it right now. The dollars currently dont make much cents. Only the strongest are gonna survive at the present time and while it will pay off in the end, it is not gonna be an easy ride.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I understand where you are coming from, Mr.Johnson. I had the pleasure of having a 60-driver barbecue at the t/a in baytown this past weekend, and load pay was a big topic. I could not believe what these guys were hauling freight for, and they owned their trailers as well. I have heard as low as 52 cents per mile!!! And these were 44,000lb loads!! But they couldnt believe what I was getting paid, either. (1.30)I think and hope everyone will agree that it is picking up alot.Thank God I have been pretty steady over the last 6 weeks, and it is still climbing.So I would think that I would rather do this than general freight being as how it is more profitable in the end.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Unless you can pay cash for a truck, I wouldn't want to come in to expediting right now with a truck payment. Our numbers have been all over the board. Just like the stock market. :eek:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Unless you can pay cash for a truck, I wouldn't want to come in to expediting right now with a truck payment. Our numbers have been all over the board. Just like the stock market. :eek:

That is an understatement! Each day is a new day in our world.....

matt73

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the input.Times are tough for all the transportation industry not just expediting.Right now you have to learn how to streach your dollar further,get groceries for the week instead of eating in restaurants,ease your foot off the accelerator and slow down a few more MPH,when you pick up a shiny piece of chrome you should ask yourself DO I really need this right now?just little things to put a few extra dollars in your pocket.AS far as rigs I'm not looking for a $100,000 + rig right now there's alot of good used rigs out there,and being able to do most of the maintenance and mechanical work myself is also a money saver.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I've been driving big rigs for a year now 6months local and 6months doing regional work.Lately I've been thinking about buying my own rig jumping into expediting.I would appreciate any info anyone gives me.Also I've heard of some people using single axle tractors and a pup trailer if this is true that would be my rig of choice.

If I were in your position I would team with an owner that will teach you the ins and outs for at least 6 months before you buy a truck regardless of paying cash or financing , you'll get a paid education and be much better off when you go to fly solo.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
have you scored with the piano teacher yet?
No, not the piano teacher. But Nancy, ah, Nancy, she works in a dress shop... and she makes sounds like a chipmunk when she gets really excited. It's true.