Thinking about getting in to Expediting

CSXMike

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all!

I currently work as a Conductor for a freight railroad. But the layoffs and working on call constantly really have me thinking of other options... I have always wanted to buy my own truck and pretty much have my own business.. BUT I make fairly decent money at my current job and want to be sure if I decide to make this move that I wont take a huge hit in income.

Secondly I worry about going through all the work of getting a CDL and buying a truck to find that no carrier will hire me out due to lack of experiance in the trucking industry. Is it better to start small with a van or Sprinter before jumping into the big straight trucks?

I worked as a courier for FedEx Express for 5 years before going to work for the railroad.. I wonder if that would count for anything?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, you can get into expediting, with almost all of the carriers, in a cargo van or a straight truck with no experience. It's the tractor-trailers where experience is usually required.

Second, the only advantage to starting off with a van or Sprinter before jumping into a straight truck is that there is less money up front, and thus less risk, to get into the business. But with less risk comes less reward. A far better way to enter the industry is to drive a truck for a fleet owner for about a year. At that point you'll know what the industry is like and whether you want to continue with your own truck. But, while carriers will take on an owner/operator of a truck with no experience, not may fleet owners are quick to put someone with no experience in their trucks.

Another question is whether or not you want to drive a straight truck as a solo or as a team. Without question, learning the business while driving as a team for a fleet owner is far better than trying to learn it as a solo. But the stress of learning a new job and the stress of teaming can be significant when combined with each other.

If you buy your own straight truck with the intention of driving solo, you'll almost certainly fail within 6 months. Because of the HoS regulations your driving time is limited, and it takes a lot of experience to know how to manage that, and still make money. If you plan on teaming you'll probably be alright, but even then only if you plan on teaming with someone you know and trust and can get along with 24/7, like your wife.

If you enter the business with a cargo van, you'll want to start off with a paid-for van if you can, or put as much down on it as you can, have a low monthly payment, and pay it off ASAP. And after getting it all outfitted and ready to go, before you take your first load you want $5000 in the bank for emergencies. If you enter with a straight truck it's at least $5000, preferably $10,000 before you start.

The desire to buy your own truck, be your own boss (relatively speaking) and be out here on the road can be a powerful one, and it's why most people are out here. Most people are out here for the lifestyle and the freedom of the road, which is not all that unlike the railroad (the obvious restrictions of those rails notwithstanding). In other words, they're not out here for the money. No one is going to get rich out here, despite the deluded views of a few.

Rest assured, you will, absolutely, take an income hit if you come out here. Not only the income hit, but take a look at all of the benefits you have at the railroad. You will have none of those when you become self-employed.

In other words, stay at the railroad. :D

Reactions: 1 person

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Some excellent points were made in Turtle's post . Freight will pick up sooner on the rail because carriers are moving more and more to intermodal .
Here's another option to consider in a field there is not a surplus of workers . More and more freight will also be moving by barge on inland waterways . The pay and benefits of working on river tugs are great . Many workers work 30 days on and 30 days off but local work can also be found moving barges around power plants , gravel companies , and feed mills .
Expediting isn't what it once was . There is less truly expedited freight and more LTL which brought rates down considerably . To make matters worse , to lower the cost to the shipper rather than reduce the rate the carrier gives selected shipped a reduced fuel surcharge . In effect that has the contractor paying a fee to haul that shipper's load .

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
after those two former write ups, we all might turn in our vans and trucks and head for tall timber and go camping for 5 years, lol. I think the Call Center for Oreck has some openings here, omy.:eek:

But u need to stay with the RR. benefits benefits benefits.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all!

I currently work as a Conductor for a freight railroad. But the layoffs and working on call constantly really have me thinking of other options... I have always wanted to buy my own truck and pretty much have my own business..

CSX, you and I, a newbie, share three commonalities that have led us to EO.com....
1) Preparing for an alternative career, either forced or by choice.
2) Desire for an independent business where you call the shots, or at least have a voice in the matter.
3) Hitting the road, either by truck or van.

While expediting so far meets my own criteria, where it may not work for you is in the level of income produced. As you can read through the many threads on this site, the hours are long and the pay sporadic. Keep in mind that the last few years have been terrible economic times, and while we may have been pulled from the precipice, there are indications that the US economy, and trucking, still has a long haul ahead to recovery.

So if your dream is to own your own truck, there's little risk in pursuing a CDL and gaining knowledge that can prove useful in other ways other than, specifically, expediting.

Particularly if you can keep your day job in the process.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"working on call constantly really have me thinking of other options"

In expedite you are on call anytime your in service The difference is your stuck away from home sometimes waiting days on end for a load. With what you do now at least you get to enjoy the comforts of home.

Again the best advice stay at the RR.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Trade you.

Seriously here is what I would do only if a layoff is looming on the horizon, I would start with getting a cargo van to drive everyday. I would get a used van a few years old and pay it off asap. Then I would keep reading and put some money into outfitting it and then when you do get laid off, you are one step ahead.

Outside of that, I would stay right where you are at. Rail jobs are not easy to get, and I don't know how much time you got into yours but I would look around to be promoted out of that position into something else - Does CSX use conductors to teach like BNSF?

CSXMike

Seasoned Expediter
wow thanks for all the replies all!

I guess I'll try to stick it out through this furlough and give the RR another chance.. Being on call isn't so bad, but I never get a real break from it. On call 6 days a week all year long.. At least you guys can take a few days off here and there..

I could always change crafts at the RR but I'll still always have that urge to buy my own truck and see the country.. Maybe one day I'll buy a rig and become an o/o for someone..

Thanks again for all of the honest replies.

Good luck and be safe!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I did the on call 24/7 for three years, it was a PITA. Even if I was on vacation (which was few and far between) I was still on call, even got a call on a cruise on the middle of the Atlantic.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stay at the railroad.

Stay at the railroad.

Yup - stay at the railroad

after those two former write ups, we all might turn in our vans and trucks and head for tall timber and go camping for 5 years, lol. I think the Call Center for Oreck has some openings here, omy.:eek:

But u need to stay with the RR. benefits benefits benefits.

Stay at the railroad.

Count me in. Stay at the RR.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
.......but I'll still always have that urge to buy my own truck and see the country.. Maybe one day I'll buy a rig and become an o/o for someone..

Get that RR PENSION (if they're still there:rolleyes:) under your belt first and then give Expediting, or another form of life OTR, a try.

Guarantee you there's dozens of "Drivers" here on this board that would LOVE to be in your shoes right now. Probably 90% of 'em won't admit it though. (Ego probs - ya know :D)

Personally, I 7th-8th the Notion/Vote of you staying at RR.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can admit to that, I would like to be there - said trade you if you didn't notice. :p

The real issue is not getting into this business but giving up something that you can not return to. A lot of people still think it is easy to quit the 'corporate' world (like a lot of them are in it :rolleyes:) and go on the road. If they fail, sometimes you can never go home - you know what I mean.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'd trade this van for a RR conductor job in a heartbeat. Well, they won't let you text and drive one of those things anymore, so I might have to give it a couple of heartbeats.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Hey CSXMike...

I agree with the drivers saying STAY, I've been driving a T/T for years and a few other transportation related positions. Been on this board for over 2 1/2 years just reading and learning about expedited freight and it scares the H&LL outtta of me to make a change!!
Though if your heart gets set....and take a long time to search that "itch"....get a CDL-A, learn Hazmat, and Learn Doubles, and get SPECIALIZED, and start out with a good solid mainstream company that will give you more training, and specialize somemore....hauling OD, and the such.

But DONOT get your CDLA from a carrier that requires you to stay for over 12 months...most if not all are Van, and will pay you dirt, use you and charge you if you leave early....and YOU WILL want to quit B4 a year is up! lol...and shop around for a GOOD CDL school, that has contacts with spec companies....talk to the companies that hire where you live. You can get your CDLA while still working as well. A GOOD specialized company will train you in all facets after you have your cdl, and starting pay should be in the neighborhood of .40cpm, and at .45-.48cpm after 6 months on your own plus fuel bonus' ( after you leave your trainer/mentor ) you wont get the loads that pay extra $$ til you have alot more time though.
Those loads will pay an extra of anywhere from .065cpm upto .25cpm PLUS accesserials and demurrage.
Than you can think about O/O when you are skilled enough to handle to Big Money Loads....:cool:

The Glory big money days of expedite sure do seem to be gone...

Hope that helps a bit
A-Rex

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I can admit to that, I would like to be there - said trade you if you didn't notice. :p

Yeah, I saw it.......

Ya know, this would make an interesting "POLL" question, wouldn't it??

Have a poll where the question would be something like "would you give up expediting for a stable paycheck within a prosperous industry like the railroad, an airline, a factory that has never had a downturn in production or layoffs, and so on??"

I think it would be an interesting poll if drivers would answer truthfully.

I'm not going to start such a Poll though. My popularity around here is way tooo high as it is, :p , so why don't you or Turtle, or someone else start it just to see what what the outcome may be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It would be an interesting poll, but it couldn't be too generic in order to mean anything. Would I give up expediting for a stable paycheck working in a factory? No. I like the lifestyle of the road too much. Would I give it up to be a mechanic in a railroad diesel yard? Not hardly. An engineer or a brakeman, yeah. Would I give up expediting to get into the airline industry? Certainly not as a baggage handler.