Thinking about buying a Cabover

db4570

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hi everyone. I hope this is the right place to ask about this.

We are a small company that needs a delivery truck 2-3 days a week for delivery of our products within about an 80 mile radius. We have been renting COE's and 26 footers from Penske and Enterprise, but are thinking about buying a truck to save some cost and have it available more flexibly. Putting our company info on it and getting some free advertising would be nice, too.

I looked at both new, and 2-3 year old trucks, at a local dealer, and liked the Isuzu NPR. Everything I hear is that is a good little reliable truck. But I would consider other brands. The ones I looked at were I think in the high $30's.

I am thinking about trying to find something cheaper, at least until we are sure we are going to stick with this plan. So I am considering slightly older trucks, and could go gas or diesel. Diesel makes me a bit nervous from a repair cost standpoint. In my younger years I have rebuilt gas engines and at least can talk that talk. With Diesel, I keep hearing that if they weren't maintained right they can have very costly problems with systems I'm not very familiar with (injectors, pumps, emissions, etc.).

It also seems like it takes some effort to find these things. I have gone on Commercial Truck Trader, but there aren't a lot listed near me (Upstate NY). Craigslist is pretty random, with mostly older junkier stuff. There is one dealer in the Chicago area that seems to have a few of these at a pretty decent price, but I don't want to buy a $20,000 truck just to have to put $10k into it with some major repair.

So advice and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

David

Reactions: xmudman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you haven't checked truckpaper.com that would be another place to check.

db4570

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Thanks for that resource. It looks pretty good.

I'm concerned with how to determine if I am making a smart purchase or not.

David

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The small linen company I work for uses the Isuzu NPRs, we lease them from Ryder with the full service leases so they are responsible for all service/maintenance. There have been emissions problems with the diesels, but nothing that I would say are bad, most of the time the engine derates, it has been fuel supply or other issues. When the trucks are in for service and they cant get it back to us within a day and we need a loaner, occasionally it will be a gas powered isuzu and boy do the gas trucks suck the fuel, no comparison of the economy, diesel wins that one hands down. One thing with the diesel, dont idle it, that will cause emissions issues.

Those trucks are small and can fit in tight spots are have a small turning radius so pulling a uturn on a street is no issue.