They finally wised up

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Seems Fedup finally figgured out where the freight is these days and joined the Alliance. You sitters will have some chances to move prolly

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The rates on the Fedex loads will go down now that a glut of partner carriers will be able to bid on their freight. This is definitely not good for cargo van freight rates. We'll have to wait and see how this impacts the rates i've been getting on brokered Fedex loads.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Maybe. It could be that they are having trouble getting their "exclusive use" prima donnas that won't bump more than one dock for pickup to haul their freight. Dunno?

I wuz tinkin more on the lines that they want to keep their folks busier. Dunno?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, they have been on NLM for a year now and sometimes I see their loads reappearing over and over again because no one is bidding on them. I think they are trying to expand their coverage area. But this also might be good for their cargo van drivers seeing that they will have more access to cargo van freight. Not sure how low they will go to bid up freight though; that is yet to be seen.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i get Fedex loads on a pretty regualar basis, even cross dock stuff at Fedex terminals.....i just see this as giving Fedex the availability of more units and partener carriers a bit more fedex loads....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ya gotta understand tho, that the sun does not rise and set in the exhaust pipes of cargo vans. There is a myrade of neat using equipment out there favorable to do neat things for them that they don't have contracted to them.
this is one way to gain those assets, without waiting for the corporate mentality to ghange with the times.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know, we are busy and rates are looking okee dokee. We would bump docks but our customers demand exclusive use for the most part. The customer is boss.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know, we are busy and rates are looking okee dokee. We would bump docks but our customers demand exclusive use for the most part. The customer is boss.
But you are "different" special..
WG/Tval don't count...you should come down in the trenches sometime..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What do you mean we don't count? Just because we chose to put ourselves in this position makes us "less than able" expediters? If there were more qualifications etc that we could get, we would. Why? That makes more were available. It is that simple. Offer more, get more. Is that not how this business, and every other business for that matter, has always worked. Provide what the customer wants, it works. When this model changes we will change with it or get out.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe. It could be that they are having trouble getting their "exclusive use" prima donnas that won't bump more than one dock for pickup to haul their freight. Dunno?

There still seems to be confusion with the term "exclusive use". If a carrier is charging expedite rates and the tariffs specify exclusive use and that is what expediting is or was, then it is one customer and their freight only.

From an article on FedEx Custom Critical:

The journey of a special important shipment begins with a call to Green, where customers describe their needs to an agent, marketing manager Ryan Henary explained.

"You call and tell us where it needs to be picked up and delivered, and within 90 minutes usually we can have a truck at your door. The only thing that goes on that truck is your shipment, and it goes direct to delivery," Henary said.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you mean we don't count? Just because we chose to put ourselves in this position makes us "less than able" expediters? If there were more qualifications etc that we could get, we would. Why? That makes more were available. It is that simple. Offer more, get more. Is that not how this business, and every other business for that matter, has always worked. Provide what the customer wants, it works. When this model changes we will change with it or get out.

don't get your shorts in a knot Joe...*LOL* I mean your loads are usually "special handling" all the time...hob knobbin with movie stars and museum people....;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL! That is just because we are so cool!! It does cost us more in truck washes though, had to get another one today.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Interesting.

Too bad though when you think about it.

NLM?

FedEX is dumping work on NLM?

Well ain't that great.

Maybe we will see a slide in CC work and a reduction in the fleet?

Or CC contractors (not W/G) will have to start dealing with more reductions and maybe flat rates for the trucks?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
There still seems to be confusion with the term "exclusive use". If a carrier is charging expedite rates and the tariffs specify exclusive use and that is what expediting is or was, then it is one customer and their freight only.

From an article on FedEx Custom Critical:

The journey of a special important shipment begins with a call to Green, where customers describe their needs to an agent, marketing manager Ryan Henary explained.

"You call and tell us where it needs to be picked up and delivered, and within 90 minutes usually we can have a truck at your door. The only thing that goes on that truck is your shipment, and it goes direct to delivery," Henary said.

Well yes, when making a sales call, if the first or second thing outa yer mouth is "the only thing that goes on that truck is your shipment", then that is the way it is. Seems foolish to me tho, having a 24 foot truck going down the road with 2 skids and 2000 pounds. And, if they want to pay for that, i'm game. However, I didn't see the gain for the foolishness when I wuz "exclusive use" wiff em.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well x06col, if you were to charge for those two skids, would the $1.65 a mile they offer you be a fair price for that exclusive use of your truck and those two skids?

I'm guessing no.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well yes, when making a sales call, if the first or second thing outa yer mouth is "the only thing that goes on that truck is your shipment", then that is the way it is. Seems foolish to me tho, having a 24 foot truck going down the road with 2 skids and 2000 pounds. And, if they want to pay for that, i'm game. However, I didn't see the gain for the foolishness when I wuz "exclusive use" wiff em.

yeah but they put 2 skids on your truck and 2 skids on another truck and yet 2 more on yet another and everyone tools down the road happy...right? yeah ok...whatever

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well x06col, if you were to charge for those two skids, would the $1.65 a mile they offer you be a fair price for that exclusive use of your truck and those two skids?

I'm guessing no.
absolutely not would be my thoughts...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
IF, I were of the attitude that I had already made my $2.98 for the month, and the load was taking me to my doorstep and my fat rat recliner chair (that is important to many), then........maybe.