They DRIVE among us...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Today I was waiting to get loaded at a ball bearing plant. While I was waiting, a fairly loud "discussion" was brewing between the driver of a D Unit for one of those small companies I'd never heard of and a dock supervisor... The driver was upset because the dock supervisor refused to load him with what looked to be 8 or 10 skids. The driver was insisting he get loaded, that it would fit, and he was going to call his company , etc...
The supervisor finally told him loud enough for us all to hear, something to the effect that he could call whoever he wanted, the load number matched the freight, but he was not loading 30,000 lbs on a single axle straight!

Wow. Just wow.

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Dreamer

Sometimes you have to yell loud so the other person will understand you. Some drivers just don't understand things unless your yelling at them.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Joplin, Missouri?

Tennesee.

I was flat-out amazed that this driver thought he could get away with 30,000 on a single axle. both of my trucks were pretty light and I could only scale about 14.

A DOT officer's dream stop lol

Dale

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thought it was going to be about aliens from outer space, then I read it's about DA driver that can't understand weights...LOL

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if he ever heard of a CAT scale. Or, failing that, if he ever heard of what happens when you fail miserably at the state-police weigh scales? "Whoopie Doopie, this ain't gonna be cheap!"

I obviously don't drive a large straight, but-- I do have an interest in making sure I don't lose more than I made (yes, the police WILL stop and ticket an obviously overloaded van) so i ran my van across a CAT scale. I have an 8,600 GVWR, my weight with full fuel tank, my personal stuff and me in the van was about 5,800 if I remember right. It doesn't take too much to figure out that a 3,500 lb load will be "pushing my luck" to say the least, so-- nope, not gonna do it.

About the subject at hand--- seems to me that a single-axle straight is pushing his luck if he grosses 30,000-- much less trying to get that size payload on.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tennesee.

I was flat-out amazed that this driver thought he could get away with 30,000 on a single axle. both of my trucks were pretty light and I could only scale about 14.

A DOT officer's dream stop lol

Dale

Probably one of those open carry Texas dudes.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What's even more amazing is that you had a dock supervisor that actually cared. Maybe things are starting to change. Kudos to him!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Today was my first ever 'loud discussion' [including me pounding on the side of the truck] with a forklift driver, and it flat out amazed me, too: I backed to the dock to unload, and hadn't even got the handle out to crank down the landing gear, when I heard him rolling into the truck. [This, after I'd sat & watched for an hour for a dock to open]. He thought it was NBD, I thought it was: if the floor didn't support the additional weight [what does a forklift weigh, anyhow?] and he went through it, we'd both have to pay for his stupidity. :mad:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Today was my first ever 'loud discussion' [including me pounding on the side of the truck] with a forklift driver, and it flat out amazed me, too: I backed to the dock to unload, and hadn't even got the handle out to crank down the landing gear, when I heard him rolling into the truck. [This, after I'd sat & watched for an hour for a dock to open]. He thought it was NBD, I thought it was: if the floor didn't support the additional weight [what does a forklift weigh, anyhow?] and he went through it, we'd both have to pay for his stupidity. :mad:

Back in the ole days straights never had landing gears.....boy did we bounce....:p

at least none that I drove in Canada...even the one with a 28 foot box and 4 side doors....

Last edited:

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't carry but 25'000 lbs on my class 8 d unit 3 axle 10 tires.
and the most I ever carried is 20'000 lbs truck rode great that day!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter

What does that truck weigh empty?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The forklift falling through the floor of the truck would have nothing to do with the dolly legs being up or down. They don't alter the floor at all. They protect the air bags in the suspension from being damaged primarily as well as making sure the truck doesn't wheelie when the lift goes in the box.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

We have a 24 foot D unit that is very light and could handle 31,250. We will only let that truck go up to 20,000 lbs as I think anything more you're asking for trouble.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sounds like a straight Truck on Steroids. ROTFLMAO You got to be kidding man. NO way who in their right mind would demand to load 30,000 on a straight truck. Are u sure it was only 2 axels and was not a Canada Straight with 8 Axels hey they got them U know.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
We have a 24 foot D unit that is very light and could handle 31,250. We will only let that truck go up to 20,000 lbs as I think anything more you're asking for trouble.

A single rear axle Dave? Class 7 or 8? Mine only grossed 33,000.

Dale