there's more to the story

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This relates to Panther but I'm sure is applicable anywhere. About 12-15 months ago I was contacted by a constituent telling me he wasn't getting offers. He was sitting in Chicago and couldn't understand why he wasn't hearing a thing. By coincidence I was on my way to Seville. When I got there I went in and reviewed his situation. He'd had 8 offers in the preceding 2 days, at least 5 of which I'd have taken without having to think twice about it. If he'd posted here it would have been about his 2 days with no offers. I keep looking but I've still never found that one sided coin.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Yes, LDB, it has been my experience there is almost always more to a story than first revealed. Even when we are certain all the facts are in, there are often more facts dangling in the ether. Some facts are stragglers. Some must be dragged into the light. Some of the most pertinent facts in a story are so well buried as to never be known.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I for one have always been an book. I don't tell people out here oh I'm making great money without having my books open to prove it. And Ateam can attest to that. As I have done it with him and anyone else asking. So I really don't care if someone wants to say I wasn't telling the whole story. Go right ahead and ask Panther for yourselves!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't believe Leo was talking about you. But he is correct in many instances are much different when your looking at ALL the information, rather than part of it.
Again, it doesn't mean it applies to you, but it is a easy generalization to make.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
And Ateam can attest to that.

Yes I can. Diane and once I had a long visit and coffee with this team at the Petro in Carlisle, PA. Watching as an outsider the thread where bernieh48 and others are currently active, I must confess to a certain amount of confusion about her not being taken at her word.

Notwithstanding the fact that their dog bit me when I stuck my hand in their window to pet it (my bad, not the dog's), bernieh48 and her husband impressed us as stable and competent expediters. If she said something about what happened, I would at least look at the story from her point of view before dismissing it.

Leo's point is also valid. How many people have you heard tell any story by telling several sides at once? Imagine drivers sitting together and one saying, "Let me tell you what this shipper did to me last week, but first let me explain the shipper's point of view." People always tell their side of the story and almost never the other. Heck, people seldom consider any side of the story beyond their own.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I'm a die hard cynic when somebody says "I have not gotten a load offer in 3 days" i know they mean "I have turned down 8 load offers in the last 3 days."

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Phil for that!

And yes I do agree with what Leo is saying too. But it always seems like right away when someone comes on here and has one little complaint. Be it this time about a new rule change. Someone always has to make it sound like they are a bad decision maker. Well just because they can get through to someone on the weekends doesn't mean everybody can! Lord knows I have tried on several occasions. And I even tried going through my Elite dispatch phone number with no luck. LOL

Thanks again Phil! Hope you and Dianne are doing good my friend!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This thread is to relate my personal experience as described in the original post. It is not a reference to anyone in particular or any current situation. I'm sure it often applies as human nature being what it is causes most people to act in the same manner. It is certainly not a universal thing though and wasn't meant to suggest that.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I completely understand that Leo and sorry I didn't mean to come off as defending myself again, but lately seems I have to with other people on here. Like I said you are exactly right and it's a shame actually that in today's society we can't take people at their word.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I, for one, am dying to know the correlation of Gracie being pregnant and Phil's inclusion in said exclamation have to do with one another.

I kid. Sitting for a day, and the penitentiary humor is getting the better of me, once again.

I'm new to the biz, and like the numbers we've seen/done so far. What I don't understand is why some people choose to stay solo in a business (in my rookie view) that appears to gear itself more toward teams. I'm guessing that some people are loners, and prefer to stay by themselves. Am I right?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I, for one, am dying to know the correlation of Gracie being pregnant and Phil's inclusion in said exclamation have to do with one another.

Obviously, there's more to the story. I am not the one that got the dog pregnant. :)

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I will absolutely take someone at their word, if it makes sense. You just stated above that you were unable to get through to anyone on the weekends. Really? The phone just rang and rang and rang and no one at Panther would answer it? That sounds odd, doesn't make sense, especially in light of the fact that you stated in another thread (something I rarely do) that you did, in fact, reach someone at Panther over the weekend, and they told you they couldn't do anything about it on the weekends. So which is it, were you unable to reach anyone, or did you, in fact, reach someone?

In either case, there's more to your story that we have not been told. There's an explanation for your predicament that has been left out. We're given one set of incomplete facts, some of which seem very unlikely, and some of which make no sense whatsoever, and are expected to take them at face value, and apparently, are now supposed to be shocked or shamed when we do not. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

There's always more to the story, either in omitted facts, or due to a failure to accurately communicate them.

"What I don't understand is why some people choose to stay solo in a business (in my rookie view) that appears to gear itself more toward teams. I'm guessing that some people are loners, and prefer to stay by themselves. Am I right?"

In my case, there are precious few people I'd want to spend 24/7 with in a house, much less in a truck.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I never said I couldn't get a hold of anybody at Panther. I said I couldn't get a hold of anybody in driver's relations. You call on the weekends and get regular dispatch and they tell you if your not on a load then call back on monday.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I never said I couldn't get a hold of anybody at Panther. I said I couldn't get a hold of anybody in driver's relations.
You just got through saying, "Well just because they can get through to someone on the weekends doesn't mean everybody can! Lord knows I have tried on several occasions."

But, never mind.

You call on the weekends and get regular dispatch and they tell you if your not on a load then call back on monday.
If that ever happens again, ask for their supervisor, because they can transfer you to Driver Relations. I've seen 'em do it, so if they say they can't, or that they won't, ask for a supervisor. If that doesn't work, send Sean an e-mail or call him on Monday morning. It may be the number you're calling, I dunno. We need to get that one figured out first.

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle,
I believe in a previous post, Bernieh said she was able to reach dispatch but not get through to driver relations. I totally understood her to mean "driver relations" after reading the other posts. Just because she did not re-iterate that does not mean there is more or less to the story. We all know that eventually, someone answers in dispatch and the phone does not ring off the wall, although, one night I was on hold for 46minutes, yes, I stayed on just to see how long it would take!! but then there was only one person there to take the calls and I was #1 in the que. Unfortunately, weekends and nights are a little shorter staffed and sometimes they have much going on, so it takes a bit more time for them to get to us. If they can clone, "Sally" the sheep, why not some dispatchers. lol

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
I for one will say that in my experience,That I have called after 17:00 and had dispatchers/driver relations tell me to call back in the morning or next monday bcos they werent authorized to make the changes required.It seems funny that Im not the only one here and also Ive talked to others witht the same experiances.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This thread wasn't started to discuss a specific current situation. It was started to point out there are at least two sides to everything and often we are aware of only one.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I'm a die hard cynic when somebody says "I have not gotten a load offer in 3 days" i know they mean "I have turned down 8 load offers in the last 3 days."

HMMmmmmm, have to disagree with you mjolnir131. We have sit for 3 days with out a load offer. For instance, went in-service Dec 29th. First load offer was Jan 7th. We did not turn any load offer down. Will admit we were home so it did not really matter but if I had been out in the truck I probably would not have been happy. For the most part though what your saying is true! :D