The way forward

MomentumTransport

New Recruit
Researching
ACTUAL POST Part 1

The Situation: I started trucking two years ago, went to truck driving school and headed off to a major carrier OTR. The promises weren't even close so I moved out of there quickly. I picked up with a home daily operation with a mid sized company and stayed with them for a year. Terrible equipment, terrible management, and terrible pay, once I wouldn't violate regulations for them they fired me. I am now on with another major carrier driving semi local, this company is the best so far, but pays about 75% of what they promised.

MomentumTransport

New Recruit
Researching
ACTUAL POST PART 2

I got into the trucking industry in order to support my family and finish my time in college. I had no idea that the industry was so wrought with lies and deceit on the side of these so called "industry leading" companies.I'm ready for a change. I enjoy the nitty gritty of truck driving, the driving, loading and unloading, drop and hook, navigation and route planning and the equipment itself. I am ready to do this same job but have more control over my own work/life balance. From what I can tell the best way is to go the owner operator route and get on with a good company as I am still pretty new and don't have the financial resources to go independent. I have been looking at various companies and have spoken with drivers from each of these companies and have heard good things.

MomentumTransport

New Recruit
Researching
ACTUAL POST PART 3

The decision I am stuck on now is deciding which route to take. I like the idea of buying and running a Cargo Van, but feel like I am leaving money on the table by not buying and working out of a Tractor Trailer which I have already spent the time and effort to train for. Of course, its a catch 22 with the upfront investment in a tractor and the possible major expenses related.

Any help navigating this decision would be a great help. I don't have any direct questions that need answers but your opinions and experiences may help out a lot.

Thanks
T

MomentumTransport

New Recruit
Researching
No particular reason Ragman. I just thought if I was going to have to deal with all of the regs, and DOT issues I might as well be driving the biggest vehicle possible. And from the little bit of research Ive done on straight trucks with sleepers, there just as expensive as a tractor!

Driving a cargo van would remove the majority of those "regulation and DOT issues", and also reduce the initial investment costs.

I'm not closed to the idea, I just don't have much knowledge when it comes to straight trucks.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The money and the roominess pretty much dictate a tractor or straight. It’s a tough go in a van.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

MomentumTransport

New Recruit
Researching
Its funny that you mention that WOM because I was thinking about Vans logging as well. Any good work around that allows you to make a decent income in transportation is certain to get smashed by some "regulation" touting safety. Thats too bad, because I consider a van great way to get your feet wet in the industry.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you're not sure what to buy, why buy anything?
Drive T/T or straight for somebody. Or one then the other.
See which you feel is a better fit for you. If you're with a company you feel is legit, then choose what to buy.
If the company is funky, it's much cheaper/faster to change as a driver.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
No one's spoken falsely yet.
Your key is "support family". Which as it stands is not doable in a van (my experience). Single in a str8 can be a challenge too.
At the risk of being the "ogre" here I would say if young w/family ... do something else (just my 2¢).

Nothing gets better out here.
The so called shortage is for reasons, which no company will admit. But they all do & adhere too.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've been doing the expediting thing since 2005 and there was no time in my expediting career that I wasn't able to support my family. I drove a Sprinter from 2005 to 2016 and since then a straight truck solo. I changed some companies since I started, and I made money with all companies, from big to small, until I didn't and then I moved on. I'm making good money for me and my family now in a solo straight and I will continue doing it until I don't. Then I will be moving on.

The key for me was staying out of debt and having an emergency fund big enough to cover any unforeseen expenses.

I financed the Sprinter though and I paid it off early. I actually paid it off during the slow down of 2007-8. I wrote a check of over 12k when other expediters were dropping like flies. It is not that hard to pay a vehicle off even in a downturn of the economy if you are not drowned out in debt. Now my only debt is the house which will be paid off in a few years, 5 or less. I bought my straight truck in cash,I am telling you guys, debt is a killer.

If you are in debt now, I would not buy anything and start a new business. Being under funded is a recipe for disaster. Pay your debt off, then get into this.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I must be an idiot in this ?? I've struggled year after year.
I've lived as stated by f-van .... Debt free, pay off vehicle early etc etc.
I have what I started with dollar wise, but no profit. Damn sure no sense of security to suggest "gee bring another into your life".
I've squirrelled away maybe 30k in investments. No house or family (g-friend, etc).
I see this as an existence, not a life?

F-van I'm impressed, obviously I'm doing it wrong. Tip-o-de hat 2 you!
(Actually been pondering this a lot lately too)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I don't think you are an idiot. Maybe you need to look at other companies. I was with your company for a lot of years and I made good money. Eventually they changed some rules and I wasn't making money any more so I jumped ship.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been doing the expediting thing since 2005 and there was no time in my expediting career that I wasn't able to support my family. I drove a Sprinter from 2005 to 2016 and since then a straight truck solo. I changed some companies since I started, and I made money with all companies, from big to small, until I didn't and then I moved on. I'm making good money for me and my family now in a solo straight and I will continue doing it until I don't. Then I will be moving on.

The key for me was staying out of debt and having an emergency fund big enough to cover any unforeseen expenses.

I financed the Sprinter though and I paid it off early. I actually paid it off during the slow down of 2007-8. I wrote a check of over 12k when other expediters were dropping like flies. It is not that hard to pay a vehicle off even in a downturn of the economy if you are not drowned out in debt. Now my only debt is the house which will be paid off in a few years, 5 or less. I bought my straight truck in cash,I am telling you guys, debt is a killer.

If you are in debt now, I would not buy anything and start a new business. Being under funded is a recipe for disaster. Pay your debt off, then get into this.

Awesome! Say no more, Lol.... I totally agree.

In this business, whether I bring in $300 a week or $3000 a week means nothing when there are debts.

But when I have zero debt and made $300 or $3000, I get to keep it.

Actually, It's a simple strategy. the hard part is trying to find the creative ways to bring those debts close to the zero as much as possible.

My thought, we can't be creative until we turn that creative switch on. And leave it on, Lol...

And in my opinion, whatever one chose to drive, having only the knowledge of driving won't be enough, vast amount of financial know-how and an unwavering discipline are required to stay profit in this business.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
As I study others, things occur that put me off.
Paperwork fees, won't answer phone, or "we'll return your call @ our convenience". I left a company after hearing that.

I recall a phrase " do you want what we have & are you willing to go to any length to get it?"
Alas to often after listening to them the answer is "no".

I think now as a curmudgeon I see it as if you want excellence from me then you damn well better be giving excellence to me.
Finding those folks is the challenge. I'll probably die first.

You got that right mailer!
That last paragraph in particular.