The States Where Residents Can't Wait to Move Away

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, Texas really sucks. You want to move anywhere else but Texas. Be sure to advise all the Illinoisans of that.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
After Amnesty passes TX will be just like CA. With one exception, had the WACO murders been commited in CA there would have been a trial.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, Texas really sucks. You want to move anywhere else but Texas. Be sure to advise all the Illinoisans of that.

Are you just try to keep the northern people out of Texas? :)

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two things I know about Texas, steers and quite a lot traffic in Dallas.:)

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Florida should be #1 on any married man's list!!!

Just move to Florida if you really want to screw your life up, and if you already live there "Get the hell out while you can!" before the divorce court gets you. I can rightfully say Florida is a communist state, having been born, raised, and unfortunately divorced there.

They blatantly thumb their noises at the Constitution Of The United States with their permanent [lifetime] alimony law with the threat (and they do throw you in jail indefinitely) of imprisonment in a Florida jail/prison if you fail to pay your alimony payment. Even if failing health has caused you the inability to work and earn an income. And all simply for having had a "long term" marriage of ten years or more prior to the divorce as I did. Doesn't matter if the wife has a steady job prior to, during, and after the divorce. If you (the male) make any amount of income that is more than hers, and sometimes that may not matter, YOU COULD VERY WELL BE ORDERED TO PAY ALIMONY for the rest of your life without hope of retirement, as the state doesn't allow it if your pension (if you're lucky enough to even have one) does not cover your monthly court ordered alimony obligation!

I know this first hand with thousands of dollars spent in legal fee fighting to overturn this wrongful court order, only to have a state judicial system full of judges that refuse to step on the toes of their peers by overturning their orders! Fourteen years I fought this state, they did nothing. It was only through other means which straddled a very gray area that I was able to get my freedom back.

So any man that values his financial security and retirement funds should think long and hard about Florida. It should be number one on the list of states to leave as it is one of only a handful of states that still have this archaic law on the books, and is probably the most liberal in handing out these "life sentences" for simply having a failed marriage, and is probably the most aggressive in enforcing it.

Nothing is guaranteed to last for ever, including marriage, so why allow yourself to be sucked into that trap by the state of Florida? I didn't know about this law until it was to late! Oh, and Texas even saw the error in their way back in the early 2000s when they abolished their permanent "lifetime" alimony law. GOOD FOR TEXAS!!!

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If that's true, it is pretty stupid. Alimony is a leftover from the days when women didn't have an income, and those whose husbands got 'tired' of them after 15-20 years, and walked away with a much younger woman, leaving them destitute.
Times change, and the law should keep up. It should also have the flexibility to adapt to individual circs, because the income differential is less now [in most cases], but it persists.
I can see your unabashed enthusiasm for Texas, given my own experience: I left my husband in New Orleans, when it became clear he wasn't interested in being a reformed alcoholic. I moved [with my 4 yr old daughter] in with a family, he went home to Daddy, in Texas, and filed for divorce. When I got the proposed agreement, I headed for Legal Aid, because I could barely pay for the car he left me, [his license had been revoked for the latest drunken mishap], much less an attorney. Long story short: I was divorced in absentia, and he was ordered to pay child support of $50.00 a month. [Did he tell the judge that I was independently wealthy, or what?! No idea.] Whatever - for 14 years, that's what he paid, never a penny more. When I got to where I could pay an attorney, she tried, but the judge in Texas simply did not respond to any of her numerous requests to transfer jurisdiction, so I could get a hearing. Total, absolute stonewalling.
It wasn't easy, but on balance, I didn't have to put up with any of the crap some divorced women get from their ex, [I heard some real horror stories], and money was easier to do without than peace of mind.
The real losers in divorce wars are the kids, because resentful people don't often make good parents, and the laws ought to make it better, not worse.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
All rightey now,,,lets see, we went from moving from a state to a divorce state problem to a alimony/support problem or issue and how bad judges and men are .................so, come on down to Cookeville tn for a tailgate party----BYOB and crying towel and get all our hangups over at one time.

Let me say this, I am perfect...............how about you.........lmborofloor. Now,,ain't life great..

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
If that's true, it is pretty stupid. Alimony is a leftover from the days when women didn't have an income, and those whose husbands got 'tired' of them after 15-20 years, and walked away with a much younger woman, leaving them destitute.
Times change, and the law should keep up. It should also have the flexibility to adapt to individual circs, because the income differential is less now [in most cases], but it persists.
I can see your unabashed enthusiasm for Texas, given my own experience: I left my husband in New Orleans, when it became clear he wasn't interested in being a reformed alcoholic. I moved [with my 4 yr old daughter] in with a family, he went home to Daddy, in Texas, and filed for divorce. When I got the proposed agreement, I headed for Legal Aid, because I could barely pay for the car he left me, [his license had been revoked for the latest drunken mishap], much less an attorney. Long story short: I was divorced in absentia, and he was ordered to pay child support of $50.00 a month. [Did he tell the judge that I was independently wealthy, or what?! No idea.] Whatever - for 14 years, that's what he paid, never a penny more. When I got to where I could pay an attorney, she tried, but the judge in Texas simply did not respond to any of her numerous requests to transfer jurisdiction, so I could get a hearing. Total, absolute stonewalling.
It wasn't easy, but on balance, I didn't have to put up with any of the crap some divorced women get from their ex, [I heard some real horror stories], and money was easier to do without than peace of mind.
The real losers in divorce wars are the kids, because resentful people don't often make good parents, and the laws ought to make it better, not worse.

Florida Statute 61.08 Alimony
[Partial quote] In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, the court may grant alimony to either party, which the alimony may be permanent in nature.... The court may consider the adultery of either spouse and the circumstances therefore in determining the amount of alimony.

Of the guidelines allowing the judge to determine if "permanent" alimony applies in a case, the only ones which truly qualified were 1. A false claim of adultery on my part, which was never proven and absolutely did not occur. 2. Item 2-B: The duration of the marriage, in the statute who's rule of thumb is a marriage of ten years or more.

Since the judge could not use the adultery claim against me, he Judge Gene R. Stephenson (the hanging judge in the Aileen Wuornos case in FL) sentenced me to "Life" paying alimony.

I would love to know how one is only ordered to a child support payment of $50/mo when on my salary of 43k/mo and a now ex's salary at the time of over 35K, why Florida would order a payment of over $400/mo for one child. Plus an outrageous amount of alimony on top of it! Could it also be because I was not present for the final hearing to, and trusted my lawyer to handle it in my behalf? NEVER TRUST A LAWYER!!!

The key Cheri in any divorce is "He/she whom files first determines the jurisdiction (state/county) of the hearing(s) forcing the other to abide by that state's laws. You could have cleaned his clock in Florida by simply taking up residence there and filing first. Once jurisdiction (state) has been determined, any and all future modification request have to go through that state.

Anyway, no crying here Skyraider, just sharing and educating the brethren! Stay the H#LL OUT of Florida if divorce is in your future! LOL

Last edited: