The offended continue..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is deplorable, disgusting, and disrespectful to the history of this country....History is a countries foundation to make it better, to learn from....to go forward and make a better country....How good are we? We will never know...we are destroying all the bookmarks of history to compare just how far we have come...our youth will never really know what we and those before us struggled thru to get this far....what a shame...these do gooders have no foresight whatsoever...
the Feds should step in and make ALL monuments National Monuments and protected by Federal law...Petition the President to save our history!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. Monuments are things that generally reflect the values of those who erect them, values that may or may not stand the test of time. Some of the monuments genuinely represent history, others not so much. Many of the Civil War era monuments aren't monuments to history as much as they are monuments to an ideology. Monuments to battles, leaders and even the people who fought in them, those really are historical in nature. Monuments of the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis, and the great southern generals like Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jubal Early, even Nathan Bedford Forrest, these are important historical figures, and ripping down their monuments solely because they owned slaves or didn't fight for the freedom thereof is ridiculous.

But it depends. It depends on the monument. Nathan B Forrest, for example, was a bona fide military genius despite having no military training whatsoever. He was not only the finest cavalry commander that America ever produced, he was a brilliant tactician of mobile warfare and combined arms, rapidly moving strike forces of cavalry/mounted infantry, supported by batteries of horse artillery. A monument to him for those reasons is both well-deserved and historically important.

On the other hand, there is a rather famous monument to Forrest in downtown Memphis that straight-up honors him for inventing the KKK, and for his expertise in killing black folks. It was erected by KKK members as a blatant way to tell black folks, "The war may be over, but not for you." That's one monument that needs to come down. It's an in-your-face celebration of hard core racism.

So I think there are several Civil War monuments that can come down, but too many are coming down that don't need to be, and for the wrong reasons.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well put and on point...."Just because" doesn't cut it....heck Lincoln owned slaves...should we destroy the monument?...who decides which and where the defacing of history proceeds...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the monument celebrates the life and actions of the hateful racists and bigots, then tear it down. If not, leave it up.

Sounds simple enough to me.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe if they had, those places would have remembered better, instead of sliding back towards the same. You can't erase the past by taking down a statue...would the young people in those places even know who they were?

Well Mussolini, don't think there's any danger there

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just asked my daughter those 4 names. Had no idea who any of them were, but had heard the name Hitler.

Maybe leaving them up with a plaque explaining would do something to pique their curiosity, you definitely can't tell them anything they don't want to know.

Young generation coming up is not interested in anything more than the new Youtube video. At least I've got them understanding they tell the Government what to do, it's not the other way around, like the government would like....