The New Load Board

G

In another thread Deadline Don presented some negative comments regarding the new load board from Expediters Online. I was wondering how long it would take for the company types to come out of stealth mode and attempt some pre-emptive damage control. The idea of an expedited load board has been a topic of discussion in the time I've been in this business, and I say, it's about time! It should come as no surprise to any O/O that the expediting companies monitor this and other expediter boards just to find out what nasty things the drivers are saying about them, and it seems to take what they regard as a serious threat to their status quo to bring them out of hiding. Given the paranoid nature of the expediting companies I've had the pleasure of dealing with, I would fully expect to see other negative comments regarding this type of service being posted by the companies' spokespeople, although I doubt they will identify themselves as such.

Deadline Don goes right for the throat at the top of his message by telling us that Expediters Online is going to make a bundle off of us chumps, and to beware. Duh! And all this time I thought they were a charitable organization! I don't have a problem at all with their web site making a buck if they provide a service, and if it turns out that I wasted 35 bucks for the three months, well, lesson learned! However, if in spite of Don's dire predictions and reasons why this type of service will fail, and I get one load that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten, it's paid for itself.

I think the real issue here is control. Control of the O/O's that the expediting companies have enjoyed to varying degrees over the years. Control over what are supposed to be independent business people, always with the rationale that it's in the best interest of the customer to obey without question the dictates of Big Brother Expediting Company. Without hesitation, I will admit that I don't have the corporate level experience that Don tells us he has, I don't get to rub shoulders with the upper echelons of management. I'm just a working guy with a truck and a truck payment, one of thousands of people in this industry in a similar situation; one of the O/O's THAT DO THE REAL WORK, AND HAVE THE REAL INVESTMENT IN THIS BUSINESS! So please excuse us Don if, when we see even a hint of an opportunity to increase our revenue, we go ahead and take the plunge. I don't know how this load board will work out in the end, it's the first of it's kind that I know of, but I'm glad someone's giving it a try, after all, the expediting companies are always looking to increase their market share and profitability, can we be given the same consideration too? I'm committed to this business economically for the next few years, and I'm willing to try new things to help me better that business, and I'll bet I'm not alone.

Just one man's opinion.

G

MEGA DITTOES X! Once again you have hit the nail on the head. For so long these companies have controlled our every movement, either through coersion, loss of potential revenue, or burocracy. We are suppose to wait at a truckstop, and beg, like a dog for the next scrap thrown to us. When we receive it we are suppose to say "Yes sir, may I have another." If we balk we are whipped with the "We need to service our customer" whip. It doesn't matter to them one bit whether we make money or not because of we leave theyre are 3 others waiting to take our place.

And when there is an opportunity to create revenue on our own, for ourselves without them they begin to send out people to downgrade it and try to taint it in our minds in an effort to regain control their hold on us. It is like the old saying "When you have them by the shorthairs, theyre heads and hearts will follow."

One thing I get angry about these days is when someone tries to make money on a venture it is automatically condemed because it designed to make money. (Just ask Bill Gates) Lawerence and his crew have built an awesome sight here. I hope they become billionheirs from it! That is how this country this was build is by capitalism and free enterprise! That is the reason we are here is for money, (and the reason the expedited cartel is here is for money, I havent seen one of these companies yet with a .org at the end of their website) Maybe if these companies would live up to their promises and actually have salesmen out ringing door bells instead of coming up with excuses and discounted autoparts freight we wouldn't be looking toward an independant load board!

G

Ladies and Gentlemen, I presented you with information that I run into day in, day out in calling upon manufacturing companies. I was trying to present you with the perspective of that DECISION MAKING SHIPPING PUBLIC. You have my respect, I know that I would NOT do your job and put up with all the ^$&@ that you deal with on a daily basis. The expediting companies have told you that you are actually "Independent Business Owner's" - We all know that is not true! Independent Business Owner's SET THE PRICE OF WHAT THEY CHARGE A CUSTOMER. An O/O in the expediting business which is leased on to a expedited organization ONLY HAS CONTROL OVER EXPENSES.
This board now gives you control over WHAT YOU CHARGE A CUSTOMER - Which is GREAT! I really do hope that everyone finds this to be beneficial to their operations. I'm just a skeptic about it.
As for profitability to the website, I do understand that they incur significant costs in developing a website of this nature. I'm a business man too - Heck, If I owned a truckstop somewhere I'd sign up for the site, have a few terminals at the stop which expediters could log in under MY password, charge a buck a search, and change my password weekly! (Do the math on that idea! If I'd get 50 driver's a day using it x 30 days a month = $1500 on expenses of $35 a month - talk about a return on investment!!) You guys as driver's should do that as well! Heck, get talking to a fellow expediter at a stop and have him buy you lunch for giving him the opportunity to log in and check the board!

G

Donny,

I smell fear. Pack your bags. The party is over for the "Good Ole Boyz Network. This is the future.

Man-Whatz up with the FRAUD thing donny? Cant beat - so you will rip em off?

Yeah Baby!

THE X

PS You and mIckEy got something going?

:eek:

G

Don,
If you don't want us to make a profit, don't sign up for our service. It's opt in not mandatory. As far as your instructions for teaching how to steal service, we have security in place to defer such multiple postings. If you attempted to o such a scam, you would not onlty be deleted from the service but you would lose the 35.00 you are so concerned about. Yours is a flagrant effort to undermine our service, Bravo to you if it can be done. Notice your post has not been deleted. we take pride in what we do, and hope we earn a profit from it. So does e-bay, and every other membership based organization on the internet. Whether it be through member costs or through advertising. Is there a law against earning a profit for your efforts or do you work for free.
I appreciate your opinion. Not your tactics

G

Bill and the X Man are correct,finally WE can make our own DECISIONS without fear of reprisals from the corporate suits.I will be buying a laptop this weekend and will get on the loadboard ASAP..We all owe a debt to Lawerence and his coherts for starting the entire expediters web sites and load boards,and if he happens to make a buck out of it,more power to him..

G

Rich!!!
Thanks for the support and the forsight!!
Joe
Cohort #1