The NBA: Money talks and woke politics walk.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reactions: Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The NBA is big bucks in China. Can't afford to get banned like South Park did.

If you haven't seen that South Park episode, it's hilarious. And brutal in how they take down Hollywood over the fear of China.

Reactions: muttly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a good topic. I was thinking about starting a thread on China.

So let's see if I understand this ....
China has basically pressured the NBA & an American citizen, Daryl Morey, for expressing a thought. Billions of dollars or not, we are the ones that are pussycats. We should all tell China to piss off!

Why do we continue to produce so much there? The communist party in China uses our money to stay in power, to build fake islands in the South China Sea, to build up it's military, etc ..

No More Kissing China's Ass

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You beat me to that one...... why pay $15 an hour here plus benefits when you can pay $2 a day in China.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Yeah, ok I get all that. I understand the economics.

My point is ... at what point does the money we spend producing goods in China become a security issue? We used to look at oversees investment as a way to export American ideals. Spend some money = get some influence. That's not happening in China. We are bolstering the Communist Party in China.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, ok I get all that. I understand the economics.

My point is ... at what point does the money we spend producing goods in China become a security issue? We used to look at oversees investment as a way to export American ideals. Spend some money = get some influence. That's not happening in China. We are bolstering the Communist Party in China.
Like i said..... Corporate greed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like i said..... Corporate greed.
Is it, though? Is it really greed? Or is it a smart and prudent business decision?

If you go to the gas station and see that the price is $2.50, but across the street it's only $1.75, where are you going to get gas? Greedy much?

But we're decoupling from China, anyway. No new American business is going to move to China, and the ones over there are beginning to come back. The issues with trade, and the human rights violations in China, especially with the Muslim population there, is beginning to become unpalatable.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We should all tell China to piss off!
Why do we continue to produce so much there? The communist party in China uses our money to stay in power, to build fake islands in the South China Sea, to build up it's military, etc
You are starting to sound like a supporter of President Trump and his policies.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So let's see if I understand this ....
China has basically pressured the NBA & an American citizen, Daryl Morey, for expressing a thought. Billions of dollars or not, we are the ones that are pussycats. We should all tell China to piss off!

Why do we continue to produce so much there? The communist party in China uses our money to stay in power, to build fake islands in the South China Sea, to build up it's military, etc ..

To be fair Adam Silver did release a statement saying that the NBA supports Daryl Morey and how right to free speech. They may not agree with his statement but they support his right to free speech.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are starting to sound like a supporter of President Trump and his policies.

I'm in agreement with many of Trump's policies, it's the implementation I don't agree with. He could stick it to China, illegal immigrants .. whoever he wants .. without such animosity. He's a blowhard, I don't think it's an effective way to lead.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To be fair Adam Silver did release a statement saying that the NBA supports Daryl Morey and how right to free speech. They may not agree with his statement but they support his right to free speech.

Didn't he issue this statement the day after sucking up to China? Damage was already done.
Perhaps he had a conference call with the owners, his bosses, and they told him to stand up straight rather than bending over. Wonder what Mark Cuban had to say about this...?

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is about money. 4 billion reasons not to speak out about China. It's messed up that the NBA and some of their members talk about the ills of this country, but clam up about China and just mumble that "it's complicated".
Cowards...

Reactions: Grizzly

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
That money is paying for many a island home and a home in the Hamptons and Ivy League schools. Where do you live???

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didn't he issue this statement the day after sucking up to China? Damage was already done.
Perhaps he had a conference call with the owners, his bosses, and they told him to stand up straight rather than bending over. Wonder what Mark Cuban had to say about this...?

I don’t think the NBA sucked up to China. The initial statement will be included below.

Also I personally don’t think that the owners would want Adam silver to put out the statement that he did because that costs them money and hurts the bottom line.

I do think that the nba players are “shutting up and dribbling” even though that’s the wrong thing to do.

Attachments

• C8058BE3-A6BB-440B-B478-29A8788428A0.jpeg
    C8058BE3-A6BB-440B-B478-29A8788428A0.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 12