The Longest Day

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This morning Im leaving from the South Carolina area and just as I get to the Interstate I see a Horrific crash as a Semi drives OVER a small s 10 style pickup, nothing left but crumpled parts and a fatality....it then starts to rain, HARD, Im headed to Huntsville ALA and as I get to Atlanta the traffic is snarled like a beast...its stop and go for MILES....I finally get thru and head over on 20 thru some rural ALA countryside, less traffic but skinny roads and mountains, FOG and RAIN and then I get to the Mountain and theres a roadblock, a landslide has blocked the road but its almost cleared, as we go down the steep mountain the guardrail has been wiped out, along with a large part of the hill side and road, were following a pilot car as there using a flagman on the top and bottom, suddenly some knucKlehead who didnt think he should have to wait is almost hit head on by the pilot car, Ive got Semis behind me and there squirming all over the road with me trying to stop and avoid going OVER THE HILL.....more rain, Harder and now sleet as I wind thru these rural roads and get closer to my destination my phone rings....

The shipper has put 5 too many pallets on my truck and I have to drop the load, then return the 5 extra pallets meaning going back the way I came and more crazy roads, weather and time. The shipper agrees to pay to return the pallets and back I go, More FOG now as its later in the day, temps at 36, then 34...and we plod onward, finally getting back to the Big Road and back thry Atlanta just after rush hour....arriving back at the shipper its almost 70 in South Carolina....

Im reminded why I enjoy driving and the challenge of overcoming obstacles and roads, I pray for the sould who lost his life in that terrible crash, and all the fender benders I saw all over the place, SLOW DOWN and be safe folks...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's one for the books, to be sure. Attitude is everything. You did a good job keeping yours up and keeping yourself, your cargo and those around you safe.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Tennessee I returned by staying on the Interstate only to be held up by MORE WRECKS and traffic and again a couple hours of stop and go, it didnt matter which rioads I chose that day I was being tested as to keeping my cool and being able to get the job done, I drove back over a different route as I knew the Mountain road could be even worse, besides the 13 degree grades !!!!

Ya if you dont have a sense of what it takes thats a good Idea of combinations of WEATHER, TRAFFIC, RURAL ROADS, Shippers who dont read there own BOLs, even after telling them I had too many pallets the shipper shrugged and said ITS OK...they paid to return it and YES I slept very good that night.....

It just doesnt pay to wind yourself up when the task in front of you is an arduaous one, I tend to let the stress roll off, put on some good music or a book and drive, I love a challenge and this day darn sure wasnt boring !!!!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
You might try this sometime, earthly things don't work well, imho

Abiding in the Shadow of the Almighty
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High

shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD,

He is my refuge and my fortress:
my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler,

and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers,

and under his wings shalt thou trust:
his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night;

nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness;

nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side,

and ten thousand at thy right hand;
but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold

and see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge,

even the Most High, thy habitation;
10 there shall no evil befall thee,

neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, Mt. 4.6 · Lk. 4.10

to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands,

lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Mt. 4.6 · Lk. 4.11
13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder:

the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. Lk. 10.19
14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him:

I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him:

I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him, and honor him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him,

and show him my salvation.