The last 6 months

trump

Expert Expediter
I decided to get into expediting 6 months ago and went to work for a trucking company driving a van. I am basically doing expediting work going to the big three and several other company's every day around Detroit.
I have come to find out that I really enjoy this work and Wed I sat down and had a long talk with my dispatcher about my pay and the hours . My average gross pay over the last 6 months has been 390.00 a week and I explained to him that I couldnt keep working for him with that income.
My dispatcher said that he would start giving me longer runs and pay me milage on those runs. with local runs still at the hourly rate.I have a really good working relationship with my dispatcher so I feel very comfortable where I am at for now.
When I first started there was very little concern for load securement and the most important thing on the companies mind was moving freight as fast as possible but with a little nagging all the time I seem to have the problem solved.
The company has found out that if I complain it is only for a very good reason. and they will talk to me about the problem.
So thanks for letting me comment here I just wanted to share my experience with all of you

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Glad you stuck with it! Not everyday is a great day...but they come pretty close here in expediting world! Drive safe and be profitable!

mister_newbie

Expert Expediter
I just started about three months ago. I have a Chevrolet 3500 1 ton extended cargo van. Runs started out really good, for the first few weeks, but for the past three weeks, it is hit, and miss. Is everyone suffering like this, or should I change carriers?

I like the carrier, I work for, but know they only get their loads off an load board, by National. Is this true with all expeditors?

It seems like the cargo vans are getting left behind. Should I step up to something bigger. Didn't want to get back into the log book thing. Did that for 24 years driving OTR semi trucks. Thought this van thing, would be a good money maker, and have fun doing it. It seems like I sit an awful long time anymore, and the runs are really cheap.

Any suggestions?

taleach

Expert Expediter
I drive a van too and find these past 3 weeks have been to slow for my taste.

I hooked up with another carrier so Iam signed on with two now and I do not get daily loads.

Seems like Wed-Fri are the busiest times....It is Tuesday now and I have not had a run since last Friday....:-(

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
taleach,

That is not unusal, in fact that is the norm. Most expediters run from Tuesday till Friday.

I really have no comment on your two leases with two carriers - but to say that is like having President Bush and Sadaam Hussein in the same room at once. Watch out!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence, Your response was top notch. No truer words have been spoken. I can not imagine doing that in Expediting. When I worked for my sister and her Husband there was a point when they were running for themselves and another company in OTR trucking. WoW! Be careful is the best way to put it. Just wanted to say what a giggle I got out of your response.

RaceMan

---Why Hug a tree when you can sit on a Diesle---

G

Is that even legal?

I would think that would be prohibited in your contract?

Arky

trump

Expert Expediter
My employer wont let me work a second job even if its bagging groceries If I get caught I get fired.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
If you are officially leased on to a carrier you will be operating under their authority. Running under 2 sets of numbers is illegal, and just try to imagine the red tape in the event of an accident. You are playing with some bad medicine here..... just my opinion - X

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can run for two carriers but in those cases you have to have your own liability insurance. Helps to have your own authority but you could still run under theirs. Just remember to change the signs on the outside of your truck if you are doing this. I had done this before but as I mentioned, I had my own authority and insurance. In addition, you could bid on brokered loads as well. Keep in mind though that brokered LTL freight doesn't pay much.
Davekc