the great ? which truck

badartdog

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Well this should get the opinions flying like monkey excrement .
Firstly, i'm not a newbie to life by a long shot, and I've been turning wrenches for 50 years. I'm here because , large straight trucks are a little out of my wheelhouse.
I'm looking for a 20 -24 ft. truck to serve as my rolling studio / workshop/ home. So i won't be hauling much weight ( relatively) or on the road constantly, I'll be driving to a part of the country, and staying for extended periods So the combo I'm looking for is......(probably) cabover to keep the footprint down, single axle, gas or diesel, I've been looking into the Izsu gas trucks, and Hino"s D's.
Because i won't be on the road constantly, i felt I could trade off that reliability, for lower cost in an older truck. ( big factor) I don't know diesels, but I'm a pretty adaptable guy. The truck being so light, I don't know that I'd need the torque.
So lets have it ! and if anyone out here has a line on such a vehicle please let me know. I don't see much in the way of older trucks , past their prime as commercial, on these pro boards.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well as far as a home goes that’s very personal. I know driving the sprinter that if I had all that room for simply personal use I could have been as comfortable in it as much as say a airstream camper.

But it sounds like you’re looking more for a box truck, like the Ryder type vehicles that are quite in abundance and can be found cheap.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hinos are ok. Older trucks I would look for something with the cummins 8.3 with a Allison trans before 2007. (My favorite Diesel) preferably a kenworth t300 or peterbilt 330. Easy to get parts and work done and are rock solid platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: TeamPaul