The Droid EO app and permissions

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I just downloaded the Droid EO app. Like some other apps, I was a bit taken aback at all the permissions the app requires. I don't remember what they were, offhand, but there sure were a lit of them, and far more than what I would think the app would require, and some of them privacy-related. What's the story on that?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
ExpeditersOnline.com Forum App requires these permissions:

Your location
coarse (network-based) location

Network communication
full Internet access, view network state

Storage
modify/delete SD card contents

Phone calls
read phone state and identity

Hardware controls
control vibrator

System tools
automatically start at boot, prevent phone from sleeping

Here's a good explanation of all of the available permissions:
Android Apps Permissions Explained

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Good Gawd.......

I have never paid attention to these IPhones, Androids, and whatever else all you people are overpaying on these pocket gadgets.

I just looked over Turtles link above.

Somebody here on the board here wondered if a GPS "Class" would be of any value, of which many laughed at. My thought, screw the GPS Classes........We need Classes for these freegin phones nowadays!!!!

Either that, or go find an 8 year old to explain it to you! :D

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overpaying? I use my iPhone for everything I do that's computer related, including posting here. I don't even carry a laptop. It's also made satellite radio redundant since I can stream Sirius on it. Oh, and gps too.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Ok, one more complaint. Think the font on the app could be any smaller? It's not adjustable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ok, one more complaint. Think the font on the app could be any smaller? It's not adjustable.
The EO version (and a lot of other site-specific versions) do not have the ability to change the font size within the app (as well as lacking many features of the full, paid version of Tapatalk). It's basically a customize version of the free version of Tapatalk. But it's one that can be added.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Here's how it looks on the iPhone. Is it similar on a Droid?
41d44068.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, except the Droid's screen isn't nearly as big as that graphic makes the iPhone screen out to be. :D

With the full version of Tapatalk, you can enlarge the font size so it's just about the size of the fonts in that graphic, tho. Very readable. It cracks me up that most app devs think everyone is 12 years old with 20/20 vision. It took many complaints and several versions for the full version to have an "enlarge font" feature.

With the free (read-only) version of Tapatalk, you can't post. The site-specific versions, like the EO app, allows you to post. The full, paid version has a few features the free and site-specific versions do not, like font size, enable BBCode, enable smilies. That's about it, except the full version also has moderating functions, and it's a better (maybe just different, but better in IMHO) interface for replying, viewing profiles and sending PM's.

The full version will cost ya three bucks, tho. If you visit a lot of forums that support Tapatalk, the full version is worth it. The only way the full version would be worth it primarily for use on EO is if EO ends up not adding the "Font Size" function (hint, hint), or if you need moderator functions on the phone. Otherwise, there's not enough of a difference to justify $2.99.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just love how cheap apps are in general. I do everything on this dumb phone so I have no problems with the font size but tapatalk is nice.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
With the full version of Tapatalk, you can enlarge the font size so it's just about the size of the fonts in that graphic, tho. Very readable. It cracks me up that most app devs think everyone is 12 years old with 20/20 vision. It took many complaints and several versions for the full version to have an "enlarge font" feature.

A lot of people would be suprised at the number of people in their 60's, 70's, and even 80's that have Droids. I helped a number of them setup and figure out their phone when I was in customer service.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If there were more ads on the mobile version, where would the content go?

[Grumbles] Still wish the bottom ad bar on the regular version didn't make the bottom couple inches of the screen unusable...